[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I built a thing with about a hundred intakes.

Problem is that manager doesnt seem to manage them all. As at launch I dont get enough air to the engines. Is it either that its limited to max intake air it can manage, max intakes that it can manage or some intakes arent working right?

I built a thing with about a hundred intakes.

Problem is that manager doesnt seem to manage them all. As at launch I dont get enough air to the engines. Is it either that its limited to max intake air it can manage, max intakes that it can manage or some intakes arent working right?

Every single time I've tried MechJeb's "manage air intakes", it closes ALL of them causing instant flameout

tiffid, you use part clipping? Or overlap any intakes or toggle surface attachment with editor extensions? As it worked perfectly for me before I tried latest build which used some shortcuts...

Actually, it seems it doesnt figure out how to toggle intakes that are built out in this way:

Some radial intakes on an external tank then coply the whole part a few times.

MJ will not toggle intakes that are copied with Alt-click...

Edited by Radam

Ok, I got some problem and maybe you guys and gal can help me! (Btw I'm a French Canadian so I am sorry if I make some mistake.)

First, I have KSP 0.21.276 and I got no other Mods. I've download Mechjeb 2.0.9. and I've only downloaded that one, never the 1.x.x. I installe it. There where it got tricky.

- 1 I can see the MechJeb part. (thats a good sign, right?)

- 2 I am making a new rocket, nothing fancy, just a engine, fuel and command pod WITH the Mechjeb pod Version 2 on it (the blue eye looking one) to see if it wok.

- 3 I launch it.

SO right now its suppose to work but te problem is the MechJeb2 clear(transparent) tab dosent appear at all, instead i have a tab in the middle right side that say mechjeb so i open it and then a the top its says: Mechjeb 1.9.8 In yellow taunting letters. I've NEVER download it...

WTH is wrong with:

1Mechjeb

2KSP

3Me???

Thanks!!

- 2 I am making a new rocket, nothing fancy, just a engine, fuel and command pod WITH the Mechjeb pod Version 2 on it (the blue eye looking one) to see if it wok.

If you've only got MJ installed, the command pod should be a box with a green light... so if you have 'blue eyes' you have a different mod.

Ok, I got some problem and maybe you guys and gal can help me!

Uniinstall anything related to mechjeb that you have already. Get the latest build of mechjeb from this thread and install it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/47317-MechJeb-2-Patch-test-bed-release-%28August-31-Ter%29

The mechjeb part will be in the control tab and has a dim green light.

Edited by sojourner

Having an issue with Mechjeb 2.0.9 landing guidance when trying to land on Duna. This only seems to apply to Duna, works fine on the Mun, Minmus and Eeloo (other places I've been too with this mod so far).

If I choose "Land at Target", and I've tried this at different places, then Mechjeb sets up a seriously odd eccentric orbit (over 900km at one point) before correcting it and doing a near vertical descent to the landing coordinates. So it makes it there, right on the bulls-eye, but spends a huge amount of fuel doing so.

Tonight I tried an experiment where I flew a craft that was basically a fuel tank, engine, probe and power systems to see what the difference would be between landing at a target I chose and using the "Land Somewhere" option which seems to work fine.

Both times were from a 100km equatorial orbit. For "Land at Target" I chose the deep valley near the equator.

Land at Target - expended 2820 m/s

Land Somewhere - expended 1162 m/s

After the "Land Somewhere" option I used Ascent Guidance to put the probe back into a 100km orbit, which used 1473 m/s. So if I'm not fussed about where I land, I can put a craft on Duna and back into orbit for a total of 2635 m/s which is a saving of 185 m/s over just landing on Duna at a site of my choosing.

Anyone else encountered this and know if there is a fix? Maybe a different start altitude or orbital setup?

Having an issue with Mechjeb 2.0.9 landing guidance when trying to land on Duna. This only seems to apply to Duna, works fine on the Mun, Minmus and Eeloo (other places I've been too with this mod so far).

If I choose "Land at Target", and I've tried this at different places, then Mechjeb sets up a seriously odd eccentric orbit (over 900km at one point) before correcting it and doing a near vertical descent to the landing coordinates. So it makes it there, right on the bulls-eye, but spends a huge amount of fuel doing so.

Tonight I tried an experiment where I flew a craft that was basically a fuel tank, engine, probe and power systems to see what the difference would be between landing at a target I chose and using the "Land Somewhere" option which seems to work fine.

Both times were from a 100km equatorial orbit. For "Land at Target" I chose the deep valley near the equator.

Land at Target - expended 2820 m/s

Land Somewhere - expended 1162 m/s

After the "Land Somewhere" option I used Ascent Guidance to put the probe back into a 100km orbit, which used 1473 m/s. So if I'm not fussed about where I land, I can put a craft on Duna and back into orbit for a total of 2635 m/s which is a saving of 185 m/s over just landing on Duna at a site of my choosing.

Anyone else encountered this and know if there is a fix? Maybe a different start altitude or orbital setup?

In my use of the 'jeb, it seems like "Land somewhere" puts a priority on survival. "Land at Target" puts all priority on the location, happily either slamming me into mountains or sending me out on an escape trajectory after burning all remaining fuel trying to get the landing point *just* right. This has been true for both the 2.0.9 and the patched versions. Not saying this as a complaint, because I treat MechJeb more like the AGC/PGNCS from the Apollo days: I give it a program ("land at these coordinates"), and it will do its best to do exactly what I told it to do, no matter what. I still have to keep one hand on the "disengage" just in case it decides that a particular part of the landscape is permeable to spacecraft.

Am I seriously the only one getting these bugs?! Mechjeb completely breaks the VAB. You con't launch rockets. At least in the patch you can launch them, albeit mechjeb does jack to stabilize them. .21 IS the latest version, right? What am I missing?! And yes, this is completely vanilla other then mechjeb.

EDIT: Also you can't save or quicksave, you never "Launch", the clock is broken, and it doesn't display your craft right in the map view.

Edited by Mocha2007

Am I seriously the only one getting these bugs?! Mechjeb completely breaks the VAB. You con't launch rockets. At least in the patch you can launch them, albeit mechjeb does jack to stabilize them. .21 IS the latest version, right? What am I missing?! And yes, this is completely vanilla other then mechjeb.

EDIT: Also you can't save or quicksave, you never "Launch", the clock is broken, and it doesn't display your craft right in the map view.

Get the latest Mechjeb here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/47317-MechJeb-2-Patch-test-bed-release-%28August-31-Ter%29

uninstall whatever version you have first.

Also, it sound like you're issue may be more than mechjeb. Are you running KSP from \program files or a folder on your desktop? if so these can both lead to strange errors in games due to rights issues with the files. Try moving the game to something like c:\games

Mocha2007 wrote "Am I seriously the only one getting these bugs?!"

MJ is working fairly Ok for me. No VAB breaks and stuff and I run it from my downloads folder.

It seems to me that many of the MJ problems posted have a bit to do with certain other mods in addition to MJ's weak areas. I really only use the Ascend, Orbital information, rendezvous, docking and landing functions. My most common problem is getting within 100 meters to select a docking port but that is probably because I do not properly set my orbits but just launch when I want to. The twitchy/stability issues seem to come when MJ and the new reaction wheel/input 'set' period are interacting. MJ is either 'on or off' while the reaction wheel SAS has a period after keyboard input (which is how the .21 setup will interpret MJ commands) to determine what headings you want it to hold. Pre .21 when MJ turned 'off' the capsule SAS was immediately applied. Now there seems to be a period of reduced control. Rendezvous to other planets always need a periapsis correction and autoland needs to be watched in case manual takeover is needed. (but happened to the first moon landing IRL)

While the other attempt to fix MJ is notable and needed, it is having it's own problems and the lead for that attempt has stated they "...can do some minor patch and use patch from others.", so I do not know if high level re-coding will be possible.

My greatest fear is since Squad has alluded that an autopilot will not be in the final release and with MJ being the only comprehensive assisted control mod, that further game improvement will not be concerned at all in not breaking MJ and it will become deprecated. It may become needed that rather than patched a 'light' version of MJ basic functions needs to be coded that works in .21 and a 2nd generation MJ be created.

For me, the last build of KSP that works (even if buggy) with MJ will be where I stop with KSP.

You can get the latest version of mechjeb here:

But it has included docking for quite a few versions now. From the mechjeb tab there should be a "docking autopilot" window you can open. Before activating docking autopilot, first rightclick the docking port on the active vehicle and select "control from here" and then while the docking vehicle is active, move the view around till you can see the port on the destination craft, rightclick on that port and select "set target". You are now ready to activate the docking autopilot.

Mocha2007 wrote "Am I seriously the only one getting these bugs?!"

My greatest fear is since Squad has alluded that an autopilot will not be in the final release and with MJ being the only comprehensive assisted control mod, that further game improvement will not be concerned at all in not breaking MJ and it will become deprecated. It may become needed that rather than patched a 'light' version of MJ basic functions needs to be coded that works in .21 and a 2nd generation MJ be created.

Funny, my biggest concern is that there will be game modes that do include some of the automation MJ provides and do it better, meaning I'll have to juggle more interfaces.

If Squad have no intention of providing MJ-style autopilot, I can't see a reason why this would break MJ at all - MJ doesn't use any built-in autopilot feature that the developers are likely to remove, just the programmatic inputs on position, velocity, orbit etc and a ton of its' own math and algorithms. Squad have huge interest in keeping the (sandbox) game as fun as possible, and I think they're unlikely to deprecate features without a path forward for all the mod users that are their fan base right now.

• 2 weeks later...