[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

there is a big problem with this release:

same ship , same quantity of rcs fuel (54/60), no timewarp

with the dll from the first link of this thread, the ship run out of rcs fuel while moving towards the docking axis

with the dll from the full zip from here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...September-9%29, the ship dock with around 49 rcs to spare, someone else noticed this?

Estel : The problem with the RCS is that it works fine for a mass/RCS ratio and bad for an other. The version from my old patch worked better for yours, but the current version works better for others. Until I find a way to make it works fine for everyone I can't do better.

As someone said earlier the current version work better for ship with less RCS.

I have an odd problem with Mechjeb 2.1 and KSP 0.22 in either Sandbox or Science tracks in the game. Setting the Ascent Guidance to any direction seems not to have any effect as the ship will only go on a 360 degree heading. Launching straight up until the ship is out of the atmosphere and then turning outside of the atmosphere will make the ship then turn to, for example, 90 degrees or whatever heading I had entered. The only add-on I am running is KBW rocketry, otherwise it is a stock install and I have not modified Mechjeb to cheat and get everything from the beginning, I have done all of the science in the science tree to get full Mechjeb access.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I think I might know what your getting at. Don't pay attention to navball heading of 360 degrees as compare to the Orbital Inclination of MJ. If you use a lot of MJ 1.9 or older, they didn't use Orbital Inclination. They used a 360 degree heading. At first its hard to switch to Orbital Inclination thinking, but once you cross that bridge you will find it friendlier for rocket use.

If you have orbital inclination set to 90, the craft will go north direction. If you want it to go east like all rockets should, leave it default to 0. Here is a picture to see what orbital inclination looks like:

OrbitInclination_zps9a2734df.jpg

Just think of directions and headings as half a circle. You craft proper heading will always be 0 degrees or prograde and retro or behind you will be 180. 90 will be north and south will be 270. 270 will not be used much in orbital inclinations in regards to take off. 0 and 90 will be the most used. 0 will be for take off and orbit, 0 will be for those polar orbits used for scansat stuff or satellite placement.

If you are having problems with MJ, try downloading the dev build version. The dev build is months ahead of main download, tons of new fixes and improvements.

I have an odd problem with Mechjeb 2.1 and KSP 0.22 in either Sandbox or Science tracks in the game. Setting the Ascent Guidance to any direction seems not to have any effect as the ship will only go on a 360 degree heading. Launching straight up until the ship is out of the atmosphere and then turning outside of the atmosphere will make the ship then turn to, for example, 90 degrees or whatever heading I had entered. The only add-on I am running is KBW rocketry, otherwise it is a stock install and I have not modified Mechjeb to cheat and get everything from the beginning, I have done all of the science in the science tree to get full Mechjeb access.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Of course now, the wind will change directions and you get to start all over....

Just joke... Looks great...

What is this wind of which you speak? Did you not know - there is no weather on Kerbin (well, unless you have added some witha mod!)

I think I might know what your getting at. Don't pay attention to navball heading of 360 degrees as compare to the Orbital Inclination of MJ. If you use a lot of MJ 1.9 or older, they didn't use Orbital Inclination. They used a 360 degree heading. At first its hard to switch to Orbital Inclination thinking, but once you cross that bridge you will find it friendlier for rocket use.

If you have orbital inclination set to 90, the craft will go north direction. If you want it to go east like all rockets should, leave it default to 0. Here is a picture to see what orbital inclination looks like:

Just think of directions and headings as half a circle. You craft proper heading will always be 0 degrees or prograde and retro or behind you will be 180. 90 will be north and south will be 270. 270 will not be used much in orbital inclinations in regards to take off. 0 and 90 will be the most used. 0 will be for take off and orbit, 0 will be for those polar orbits used for scansat stuff or satellite placement.

If you are having problems with MJ, try downloading the dev build version. The dev build is months ahead of main download, tons of new fixes and improvements.

Thank you, that makes quite a lot of sense!

Is there a way to make Mechjeb plot a Brachistochrone transfer?

For info, refer to this link.

The best you can do really is burn just hard enough to get into Kerbol's SOI and use the intercept option where you get to specify when the burn is done and when the actual intercept occurs. that will get you a decent fast transfer if you have the DV.

Note, brahistochrones are actually not a very good idea in KSP, because you can't warp during them (well, not much, and with rockets you'd usually run brahistochrones with, probably not at all). A hohmann transfer would actually take less RL time due to high warps being available.

v118 Is the Rendezvous Autopilot not finishing the deal? It'll get within the distance you set but won't kick the relative velocity down to 0.1. Instead of facing away and cutting velocity, it's still pointing towards the target and going around 0.8 to 1.0ms.

v118 Is the Rendezvous Autopilot not finishing the deal? It'll get within the distance you set but won't kick the relative velocity down to 0.1. Instead of facing away and cutting velocity, it's still pointing towards the target and going around 0.8 to 1.0ms.

Just successfully completed two rendezvous and one docking. No real problems except for the usual attempts by MJ to spray as much of my RCS propellent into space in the shortest amount of time possible. At least it's better these days at finishing the docking maneuver.

I tried some landings on Eve yesterday. MechJeb build 118 was full of fail at this task. It saved plenty of fuel, it was so miserly it wouldn't begin the final landing burn until about 2,300 meters. Too late to slow down quite enough to prevent destroying or knocking off parts. If it'd start around 3,000~3,500 I bet could manage to land ships without enough fuel capacity to get back to orbit. But then there's the other issue with Eve.

The landings were complicated by the stock heavy landing legs sinking into the surface, causing engines to be destroyed or knocked off. I used hyperedit's ship lander to test designs attempting to compensate for that and discovered something nifty about my Two-Step lander. After dropping it into Eve's ocean, popping it back to 100KM then locating co-ordinates for some land, I tried the ship lander again. I didn't notice one of the three side tanks and its engine had been lost. It managed to touch down upright on just the poodle, two 909's and extreme use of RCS. :) I gotta try that trick on Kerbin.

Alan Aerospace Recycling and Packaging will continue our quest to land on Eve (and hopefully return to orbit) without any of those wimpy non-thrusty things like parachutes, wings and balloons - when we figure out something for landing gear that won't sink into the surface.

I tried some landings on Eve yesterday. MechJeb build 118 was full of fail at this task. It saved plenty of fuel, it was so miserly it wouldn't begin the final landing burn until about 2,300 meters. Too late to slow down quite enough to prevent destroying or knocking off parts. If it'd start around 3,000~3,500 I bet could manage to land ships without enough fuel capacity to get back to orbit. But then there's the other issue with Eve.

The landings were complicated by the stock heavy landing legs sinking into the surface, causing engines to be destroyed or knocked off. I used hyperedit's ship lander to test designs attempting to compensate for that and discovered something nifty about my Two-Step lander. After dropping it into Eve's ocean, popping it back to 100KM then locating co-ordinates for some land, I tried the ship lander again. I didn't notice one of the three side tanks and its engine had been lost. It managed to touch down upright on just the poodle, two 909's and extreme use of RCS. :) I gotta try that trick on Kerbin.

Alan Aerospace Recycling and Packaging will continue our quest to land on Eve (and hopefully return to orbit) without any of those wimpy non-thrusty things like parachutes, wings and balloons - when we figure out something for landing gear that won't sink into the surface.

Having some trouble understanding why you would have to start your landing burn that high. Atmosphere is thicker so terminal velocity is lower. Landing even on thruster only should be easy. Unless you're using FAR in which case, as discussed recently, MJ would have no idea what your drag is.

Of course I also know nothing about your ship, its mass or what the TWR is for a poodle and 2 909s as I don't know what other mods were used for this. (example, RSS + MFS could spell trouble for a thruster only landing)

I'm not saying there's not trouble with landings btw, just thinking this is a case where stock vs non-stock needs to be separated out.

On that subject, I noticed last night that landing (mostly stock, just MJ + KWR) using thrusters and parachute on Kerbin, that MJ2 was firing its thruster too early and constantly while descending on parachute. It shouldn't have fired at all until the final 8 seconds of descent. On parachute it was coming down about 15 m/s and the thruster wouldn't stop firing even when I set the landing speed above 15 m/s.

Having some trouble understanding why you would have to start your landing burn that high. Atmosphere is thicker so terminal velocity is lower. Landing even on thruster only should be easy. Unless you're using FAR in which case, as discussed recently, MJ would have no idea what your drag is.

Of course I also know nothing about your ship, its mass or what the TWR is for a poodle and 2 909s as I don't know what other mods were used for this. (example, RSS + MFS could spell trouble for a thruster only landing)

I'm not saying there's not trouble with landings btw, just thinking this is a case where stock vs non-stock needs to be separated out.

On that subject, I noticed last night that landing (mostly stock, just MJ + KWR) using thrusters and parachute on Kerbin, that MJ2 was firing its thruster too early and constantly while descending on parachute. It shouldn't have fired at all until the final 8 seconds of descent. On parachute it was coming down about 15 m/s and the thruster wouldn't stop firing even when I set the landing speed above 15 m/s.

I've been using FAR, and do pretty much all my landings by hand because MJ hasn't a clue what the drag values are.

Just successfully completed two rendezvous and one docking. No real problems except for the usual attempts by MJ to spray as much of my RCS propellent into space in the shortest amount of time possible. At least it's better these days at finishing the docking maneuver.

I reinstalled and that seemed to clear things up so far.