[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Seriously... autolanding, even in the latest dev build, is borked beyond belief.

screenshot44-1.png

Ok. I don't get it. What exactly is depicted in the picture? Because it's not speaking 1000 words to me. I see that you have designated a landing site and that's all I see happening there....

Hi! :sticktongue:

I also have a problem with MechJeb. When I activate the auto-lander, everything seems to go perfectly, but for example, on the Mun, I begin the landing procedure MechJeb takes control properly and execute maneuvers but once I get around 4 km MechJeb not control anything and let my ships crashing.

Is anybody also have this problem?

Ok. I don't get it. What exactly is depicted in the picture? Because it's not speaking 1000 words to me. I see that you have designated a landing site and that's all I see happening there....

He's not moving for one, so the autopilot effectively landed 2-3 km above his landing site.

With the new version, I am also having more 'problems' it seems than with previous. For landing... But it may still just be me foofooing it ?????

I would like to look into the possibility of having a 'Landing descent profile' option, for the Landing Guidance. Something similar to the ascent control option, but where this allows the user to design what type of descent profile to be flown. This would allow for a 'normal' highly efficient MJ profile, or if the user knows he is coming in over high terrain and needs to drop rapidly behind the mountains, this can be designed. Nothing uber fancy, basically just the opposite of what is currently in the ascent module. You come in, follow a curve profile / deorbit burn and then start the killing of horz as per design.... I will try to draw something to show what I am getting at, but I am a terrible artist...

He's not moving for one, so the autopilot effectively landed 2-3 km above his landing site.

Well, you need to click "Land at Target", which appears to not have been clicked. It can't work if you juyst set a target and don't enable the autopilot.

If that's not the case then yes, I agree that the poster should suppoly more information. It's not very helpful to play "guess what my issue is".

Ok, after testing and finding out that the old build, 2.0.8 not work, I reinstalled 2.0.9 with sarbian's .dll.

This is still repeating the landing failure 100% of the time on my test to land on Mun.

all of the approach and deorbit burns are working ok, it is only after it has almost finished descent (19 to 29 m above surface) that it seems to stop vertical fall, and then goes into a horizontal 'hover' mode while trying to get closer to the 'landing site' coordinates. depending on where you landing site is, and how you came into this site, you either crash into the surface as the elevation rises and comes up and gets you, or you have built up so much horizontal vel that when you get there it just tried to touch down and you catch a landing gear in the dirt at +10m/s and over you go then boom.....

any ideas???? other than land manually????

thanks.

hmm i dont encounter the same problem, maybe, if you instal 2.0.8 but change the plugin with up to date one it gonna help

you mean install 2.0.8 on ksp 0.21.1 and then add the new .dll?????

I have just tested again, with 2.0.9, sarbian's .dll but this time using "Land Somewhere" rather than land at a specific target. This time it worked... Yeah!

It nullified the horizontal vector just prior to landing, and then sat down nice and soft.....

H'mmmm wonder if somewhere the logic got busted in the "land at target" routine, and that is why it is acting so strange..???????

Hope we can get this one sorted out sometime.

good luck to all.

Well, you need to click "Land at Target", which appears to not have been clicked. It can't work if you juyst set a target and don't enable the autopilot.

If that's not the case then yes, I agree that the poster should suppoly more information. It's not very helpful to play "guess what my issue is".

What the issue is should be easily discernible. Note the position of the lander and the targeted landing position. Note the speed displayed on the eight ball, which indicates that the vehicles is landed. And remember that once you land, the landing selection is cleared,

Or to put it in text: Mechjeb's landing autopilot is borked (and has been since .20). I selected a target, hit "land at target", and it landed me 21km from the commanded landing location. What it does on Duna is even worse.

Ok, after testing and finding out that the old build, 2.0.8 not work, I reinstalled 2.0.9 with sarbian's .dll.

This is still repeating the landing failure 100% of the time on my test to land on Mun.

all of the approach and deorbit burns are working ok, it is only after it has almost finished descent (19 to 29 m above surface) that it seems to stop vertical fall, and then goes into a horizontal 'hover' mode while trying to get closer to the 'landing site' coordinates. depending on where you landing site is, and how you came into this site, you either crash into the surface as the elevation rises and comes up and gets you, or you have built up so much horizontal vel that when you get there it just tried to touch down and you catch a landing gear in the dirt at +10m/s and over you go then boom.....

any ideas???? other than land manually????

thanks.

I used to have something like that happen to me with certain craft because they were too short, or used radial engines positioned too high up. As the fuel drains, the center of mass goes downward toward the center of thrust, and then the gimballing gets all messed up. When it tries to zero horizontal velocity before final descent, the heading controller craps out and that's why you crash. Might not be your issue exactly, but you could try disabling gimbals and also make a custom window with "Heading Error" so you can see if it is trying to do something it can't.

What the issue is should be easily discernible. Note the position of the lander and the targeted landing position. Note the speed displayed on the eight ball, which indicates that the vehicles is landed. And remember that once you land, the landing selection is cleared,

Or to put it in text: Mechjeb's landing autopilot is borked (and has been since .20). I selected a target, hit "land at target", and it landed me 21km from the commanded landing location. What it does on Duna is even worse.

Nearly all my MJ landings came within 5 meters of the flag I used as a target. The only time I've had MJ screw up a landing site is when I did something weird, like forget to turn on an engine in time, or eject an engine halfway through so its Isp calculations were messed up, or deploy parachutes (it can recover from that if you have enough fuel and cut them before they fully deploy, actually). I would be interested in seeing what kind of craft you guys are having trouble landing with, since the issue is apparently not obvious without that information.

Edited by robot256

you mean install 2.0.8 on ksp 0.21.1 and then add the new .dll?????

I have just tested again, with 2.0.9, sarbian's .dll but this time using "Land Somewhere" rather than land at a specific target. This time it worked... Yeah!

It nullified the horizontal vector just prior to landing, and then sat down nice and soft.....

H'mmmm wonder if somewhere the logic got busted in the "land at target" routine, and that is why it is acting so strange..???????

Hope we can get this one sorted out sometime.

good luck to all.

This is gonna sound a bit off-the-wall...but I have tested it several times.

Seems like the landing autopilot only likes 'land at target' IF said target was selected via clicking on the map (as opposed to inputting co-ords).

When I tested this using the inputs MJ2 would botch about 75% of the landings...twice it shot me off in the general direction of Duna on a Mun landing.

However, using the 'land somewhere' or using the map to select the target gave many good landings, close to 90%....the other 10% could be credited to pilot/construction error on my part.

I honestly only did 24 flights to test, and results were a bit varied, but figured Id share.

I used to have something like that happen to me with certain craft because they were too short, or used radial engines positioned too high up. As the fuel drains, the center of mass goes downward toward the center of thrust, and then the gimballing gets all messed up. When it tries to zero horizontal velocity before final descent, the heading controller craps out and that's why you crash. Might not be your issue exactly, but you could try disabling gimbals and also make a custom window with "Heading Error" so you can see if it is trying to do something it can't.

Ok, will give that a try. I am using 'stock' lander(s) for testing. It has happened on both a little itsy bitsy lander and on the 'impossible innovations' craft as well.

I have started just using the land at target to get me ballpark, then aborting the land at target and selecting land anywhere.... still pretty darn close.

thanks.

This is gonna sound a bit off-the-wall...but I have tested it several times.

Seems like the landing autopilot only likes 'land at target' IF said target was selected via clicking on the map (as opposed to inputting co-ords).

When I tested this using the inputs MJ2 would botch about 75% of the landings...twice it shot me off in the general direction of Duna on a Mun landing.

However, using the 'land somewhere' or using the map to select the target gave many good landings, close to 90%....the other 10% could be credited to pilot/construction error on my part.

I honestly only did 24 flights to test, and results were a bit varied, but figured Id share.

Have been using 'select from map' to pick a flat spot on mun. will get coordinates from some piece of my wreckage (lots to choose from) and put that in next.

good idea..

Nearly all my MJ landings came within 5 meters of the flag I used as a target. The only time I've had MJ screw up a landing site is when I did something weird, like forget to turn on an engine in time, or eject an engine halfway through so its Isp calculations were messed up, or deploy parachutes (it can recover from that if you have enough fuel and cut them before they fully deploy, actually). I would be interested in seeing what kind of craft you guys are having trouble landing with, since the issue is apparently not obvious without that information.

first little stock craft is the uploads_2013_07_GP-V1.craft from spaceport and the second is the stock craft that comes with the impossible innovations pack..

both pretty standard craft, that I used previously in 0.20.?? with no problem(s). matter of fact, they were so stable with MJ 2.0.8 that I would set up the landing session, and go make a sandwich and come back and there it was.....

Now, I can still make my sandwich, but I come back to kerbal splatter on mun......

Didn't see that; I had just got up and had just received coffee-in-hand so I wasn't fully up to snuff.

Looks like what happened to me the other night where I was trying to land at KSC and it put me right SMACK over the pad and then went to hover mode. I got out of it by clicking abort and then 'land anywhere' which of course the easiest solution was for the autopilot to take her straight down and land right on the pad. RIGHT SMACK in the middle of 6 gantry tower thingies. Would have been impressive if it hadn't first burned a quarter of a tank hovering :P

I can't seem to find any information regarding this, but after switching crafts, Mechjeb loses a bunch of menus, like DeltaV, Orbit, and Surface info; all information readouts are actually gone when I switch back, however, Mechjeb's Smart A.S.S. still works. Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so is there a fix out there?

I can't seem to find any information regarding this, but after switching crafts, Mechjeb loses a bunch of menus, like DeltaV, Orbit, and Surface info; all information readouts are actually gone when I switch back, however, Mechjeb's Smart A.S.S. still works. Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so is there a fix out there?

Does the craft you switch to have MechJeb on it? If not, then MJ is not available.

What the issue is should be easily discernible.

Yet, I'm not the only one who couldn't easily discern it... so a few words of explanation on your part could have spared all that confusion and speculation.

"Guess what my issue is" isn't the best way to get a point across. Troubleshooting is much easier when you provide all the data you can. It's only "easily discernible" to you because you were there.