[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Is it possible to use mechjeb to keep ones ship pointed at a another ship similar to how you can use smart ass to stay pointed pro/retro grade, normal ...ect?

The rendezvous module adds this functionality with the Tgt+/- and Parallel+/- buttons. These make "pseudo docking" possible. (It'd be a snap if I could just get that target ship to HOLD STILL!)

How do you install this? I've put the file in plugins and parts, respectively but I'm not seeing any menu option like on all of the tutorials.

Have you made a ship with the mechjeb capsule or with a mechjeb part mounted n it? Or did you just load up one of your old ships?

I'd like to make a pair of suggestions.

First, it'd be nice to have independent "hold heading" and "hold altitude" buttons in the ILS. Sometimes, you want to be on a specific heading while changing pitch (e.g. when landing, especially since Auto Land seems to be borky...) and sometimes you want to stick to a specific altitude while changing heading (e.g. when doing fine alignments with the runway.)

Second, I'd like to see an airspeed hold. This is just because it'd be useful. :)

Edit: I see there's apparently a "surface speed hold" - that might be something to twiddle with. ;p

Edited by etmoonshade

Better than having MechJeb point at target vessels, could it be set up to point towards (or away from) their relative velocity vector? This would making pulling up to another ship so much easier...

i think RVEL+/- points the ship towards or away from the relative velocity vector

I've noticed on the last few min landings when selecting a targeted landing on mun, in this case a previously landed ship, that coming from a 10km orbit I always miss the target. I was 10km north and 70km west of my target. Am I doing anything obviously wrong? The craft was a mechjeb eye ball craft with the wee collar thrusters, a fuel tank, sas and 3 landing legs.

I've noticed on the last few min landings when selecting a targeted landing on mun, in this case a previously landed ship, that coming from a 10km orbit I always miss the target. I was 10km north and 70km west of my target. Am I doing anything obviously wrong? The craft was a mechjeb eye ball craft with the wee collar thrusters, a fuel tank, sas and 3 landing legs.

10km is a pretty low orbit, Mechjeb landings appear much more accurate from higher orbits. This appears especially true for large/heavy ships, but 10km is probably too low even for your design. Try doing the landing from a higher orbit.

Minmus or Mun? <s>10km should be more than enough for Minmus</s> I tried an LaT from 10km in Minmus orbit and it was about 2km off. I then tried from 20km (quick save) and was dead on. So it's probably bit low for Mun also. More critical is TWR. Mechjeb needs a TWR of 8 or better to successfully Land at Target.

Edited by Jontu
Correct bad info.

I've been trying to rendezvous with a Probodobodyne satellite I have in orbit as a rendezvous test and I can't find the Target mode for Smart A.S.S. How do you switch to/enable it?

you need to target it with the rendezvous module then new buttons appear in the smart ass

Its awesome plugin but i have some problems with it, I made space debris clearing vessel with laser and when I blast debris rendezvois module targeted on, mechjeb windows dissapear and I can't control it anymore, its a bug?

10km is a pretty low orbit, Mechjeb landings appear much more accurate from higher orbits. This appears especially true for large/heavy ships, but 10km is probably too low even for your design. Try doing the landing from a higher orbit.
Minmus or Mun? <s>10km should be more than enough for Minmus</s> I tried an LaT from 10km in Minmus orbit and it was about 2km off. I then tried from 20km (quick save) and was dead on. So it's probably bit low for Mun also. More critical is TWR. Mechjeb needs a TWR of 8 or better to successfully Land at Target.

The advice was spot on. Did a few different altitudes and 20-100km and spot on landings. Thanks for that guys.

Its awesome plugin but i have some problems with it, I made space debris clearing vessel with laser and when I blast debris rendezvois module targeted on, mechjeb windows dissapear and I can't control it anymore, its a bug?

i don't think mechjeb was designed to be used with a weapon. my guess is that the sudden disappearance if its target confuses mechjeb and causes it to stop working, try removing the target lock before you fire.