[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Guys, I have searched this thread up and down, but I can't get a straight answer that works. So it may be redundant, so please bear with me.

I love the idea of career mode, but not when it comes to Meckjeb.

Can someone walk me through how to set all the meckjeb options to be unlocked at the start of a career? So far, all the different variations I of editing the page.cfg file have not worked for me.

Guys, I have searched this thread up and down, but I can't get a straight answer that works. So it may be redundant, so please bear with me.

I love the idea of career mode, but not when it comes to Meckjeb.

Can someone walk me through how to set all the meckjeb options to be unlocked at the start of a career? So far, all the different variations I of editing the page.cfg file have not worked for me.

Directly editing the cfg file isn't a good solution. Your changes will be overwritten if you update the mod.

Use ModuleManager instead and create a config file with the following. Put it anywhere in your GameData folder or one of its subfolders. (I keep such things in a 'MyTweaks' folder so I can easily back it up or copy it over when I update KSP)

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
@MODULE[MechJebCore]
{
!MechJebLocalSettings {}
}
}

I've used MechJeb before, so when I came back from a long hiatus to check out .22, I was excited to get MJ installed. However, I'm having a problem using the module in career mode. Several people have mentioned this issue, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer.

- Start a career mode save

- cheat, steal, and otherwise claw my way to researching Flight Controls (which I believe is supposed to be the first MechJeb tech)

- Enter VAB to install MechJeb but find that the module must be researched individually.

- Enter research building, and click to icon for MechJeb (within Flight Controls) and confirm that I want to research it. Yay!

- Enter VAB to install MechJeb but find it "greyed out" and it just has the same message

- Enter research building, and the dumb thing is unresearched again. Click, confirm, rinse repeat

I've gone through this on multiple saves and up to 3-5 trips between the VAB and research building. What am I missing? Am I researching it wrong? Am I just stupid? Is the answer to this problem somewhere else and I've just missed it? HALP!

You have multiple copies of the part folder somewhere. I've come across this thing before. Get yourself down to one copy of mechjeb in your ksp install.

Thanks, BigD! Your comment made me wonder how that could possibly be the case. Upon investigation, it would seem that Steam never fully uninstall the game before and there were still some junk folders left here and there. I uninstall the game using Steam's "Delete Local Content" and when that was done, I went in and actually deleted the local content. With no kerbal at all, I resinstall, installed my mods, and now things work fine (except I had to drop the B9 mod for memory...sadface).

It took me hours to get to it, but I've got MechJeb unlocked and have used it for the SmartAss. I still can't find the Ascent guidance, but I'm sure that's just user error.

Nothing that should be mucking about with drag or other aerodynamics. The only one that should be doing anything to modify how the game engine operates is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, which *shouldn't* affect drag.

I made the video on my dev install, with MJ, HyperEdit & Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed.

At this point I can only recommend you install a fresh copy of KSP somewhere else, fresh copy of dev MJ2/KJR/HE and try again.

For now I won't investigate your issues anymore since it work fine for me and others, and I have to assume something is wrong with your install.

BigD145 : Thanks for the tip. I wish I could edit the OP to add that....

I've been using MJ for only the very precise landings-say, something like a manned mission homing in to an unmanned rover that's discovered an anomaly.

However, recently, there's been a strange series of occurances when I try to land something using coordinates.

MJ figures out the first de-orbit burn fine, but as its on the way down it narrows the landing range to within a kilometer-and then the number starts skipping. Sometimes it's in the hundreds of meters range and other times its in the number of kilometers range. This strange numerical oscillation results in the lander both trying to wait for a braking burn and trying to brake at the same time-usually resulting in me losing kerbals as they pancake intowhatever surface I've sent them to look at.

Is this a known bug, and, if so, is there a solution I can figure out? I can't keep losing Kerbals like this.

Thanks.

I told my most recent rocket to land at KSC because the landing autopilot has worked flawlessly before. On the way down it decided to make a 'correction' which put the landing point in the middle of the ocean east of KSC, I'm talking miles out into the water. The 'target' icon was still over the KSC but the landing prediction was in the water. I let it continue since I had a quicksave and could just back up and try again. It continued down through the atmosphere then at 5km altitude it suddenly started burning like hell to correct as if it realized the error but it was far too late. The whole rocket splashed down hard while it was still trying to do a 'correction' burn, all hands lost.

Bill, you will be missed. (until you respawn)

Both previous posters : I won't work on landing bug unless you post :

- a list of installed mod

- picture of the ship (in the sun) and/or file

- initial orbit

- planet you tried to land on

- save/quicksave file before the landing if you have it

Thanks, BigD! Your comment made me wonder how that could possibly be the case. Upon investigation, it would seem that Steam never fully uninstall the game before and there were still some junk folders left here and there. I uninstall the game using Steam's "Delete Local Content" and when that was done, I went in and actually deleted the local content. With no kerbal at all, I resinstall, installed my mods, and now things work fine (except I had to drop the B9 mod for memory...sadface).

It took me hours to get to it, but I've got MechJeb unlocked and have used it for the SmartAss. I still can't find the Ascent guidance, but I'm sure that's just user error.

Ascent Guidance unlocks with Unmanned Tech

Ascent Guidance unlocks with Unmanned Tech

Everything unlocks down the probe line, with the largest probe core being the end of unlocks as far as usability of the part goes.

Sarbian, I wish you could alter the OP but you could make a READ ME IF THINGS ARE F*ED UP in the latest versions. The multiple copies of a part thing is vanilla KSP and hopefully it gets fixed.

Edited by BigD145

Both previous posters : I won't work on landing bug unless you post :

- a list of installed mod

- picture of the ship (in the sun) and/or file

- initial orbit

- planet you tried to land on

- save/quicksave file before the landing if you have it

Heh... I'll just do my landings manually from now on then. Whatever

I encounter a bug: when smart ass activated, sometimes the auto pilot function like execute next node or auto land can't take over the control from smart ass,

I have to manually turn off the smart ass to make the auto pilot works

Has anyone else noticed an extreme amount of lack being produced by this mod since .22? I don't know whats going on, but as soon as I try and mount it, the game slows down as if I have placed 100 parts on it, not just 1. I use to be running vehicles at 500 parts just fine, but now I can barely get above 200 with my satellite launchers (which typically have 3-4 Mechjeb parts, one for each Satellite)

Has anyone else noticed an extreme amount of lack being produced by this mod since .22? I don't know whats going on, but as soon as I try and mount it, the game slows down as if I have placed 100 parts on it, not just 1. I use to be running vehicles at 500 parts just fine, but now I can barely get above 200 with my satellite launchers (which typically have 3-4 Mechjeb parts, one for each Satellite)

Sokar408 : I replied to your post earlier.

Oh sorry, I just loaded my computer up today, and the page still had the text in the reply box, so I thought for some reason it hadn't posted it last time. The dev version? Possibly, its your 1.5 version yes, so if thats the dev version then yes I got it, and yes it is with that. If there is another one, then please supply me with a link for testing, as I can't find one on your page.

You didnt look very hard, dev builds are linked in the first post of this thread.

*Facepalm* I thought he was talking about a ModuleManager dev version, not a Mechjeb2 dev version X.x

EDIT1:I am happy to report that the dev build produces much less lag, at least in the hanger. I have yet to find the cause of the in flight lag I'm getting, but I suspect its KW structs, as changing them around seemed to fix it. Thanks for the advice though Sab :)

EDIT2: Nope not the struts. **** finding bugs is hard :S

Edited by Sokar408

Blizzy78 released his ToolBar mod and I nearly finished an implementation for MJ

The MJ button show/hid the large menu, the other modules of MJ. You can set which button you want to see.

The current icons are placeholder (resize of the science icons).

If any of you want to submit a set I'll welcome them (24x24 PNG with alpha). Exemple : http://www.sarbian.com/sarbian/Ascent_Guidance.png

2 icons per module (active/inactive). As many module as you want since I can add the others too.

MJToolbar.jpg

Edited by sarbian

So ...

I built a replica of you lander. Sent it to Eve on a 100km orbit, and asked the landing AP to land at 0°N 24°E :

Long story short : It landed without any damage.

Galane I don't know what mods you use but something is seriously messing up with the drag. Eve atmo is so dense my ship nearly did not have to brake.

That's the MLD-1, unmanned with the Mainsail. Manned version (crew removed and an OKTO2 set on top for control) farther down the thread, with a Skipper can't be landed by MechJeb on Eve even though it should have enough TWR to land if the final burn starts high enough.

I'm wanting to build a ship with just enough capability to lift off from Eve and make a 100KM orbit, after refueling on the surface. That would also involve reducing the weight of the vehicle during landing. With on surface refueling it won't matter how much it burns on the way down, as long as it lands intact and will have enough fuel capacity and available thrust to lift off and reach orbit.

MechJeb could land on Eve with less TWR if it'd start the burn higher. I've had it land pretty hard a few times where it almost broke engines off (without KJR the engine would've been off) and jammed the legs into the surface, refueled with hyperedit and was able to lift off. With a bit higher final burn start those would have landed just fine. Wouldn't be able to get back to orbit of course.

MechJeb should be able to land anything on Eve with a TWR greater than 1 *and enough fuel* to last until touchdown. A vehicle built to only land (which would be whatever I build for the refueling) should not need an excess of thrust or fuel just to land. I'd like to get that part of the mission down with fumes in the tanks, less mass to move from Kerbin.

Think of it as being the way Airbus designed their early computer controlled airliner takeoff and landing systems. It used just enough thrust to do the job*. It's a bit difficult to develop such a design for Eve in KSP when MechJeb requires a Mainsail where a Skipper would work using different flight parameters.

*Nevermind that at least two crashes were in part attributed to the system not allowing manual full throttle override in an emergency.

You have multiple copies of the part folder somewhere. I've come across this thing before. Get yourself down to one copy of mechjeb in your ksp install.

Thank you! I was having the same issue, found this thread, and managed to scrub out multiple copies of mechjeb without destroying anything else, AND got it all working!