[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

So having it as an option under settings some how prevents you from playing it out in career mode if you wish? You just can't keep yourself from hitting that button if it's there?

that doesn't have a damned thing to do with it and you know it.

the fundamental difference between career mode and sandbox is that you have to unlock functionality instead of having freely available from the start.

Quick follow-up on the auto-staging issue. I launched another of my simple ships to test something, and observed the following:

1. At the point of staging, the throttle for the next stage ramps up to 100%.
  2. The decoupler does not fire.
  3. The engine does not begin consuming fuel.

So, it seems the auto-stage trigger may, in fact, be working (throttle ramps up), but it isn't reaching the desired targets (decoupler doesn't fire; engine doesn't consume fuel).

Sarbian, hope this helps pinpoint the issue.

Quick follow-up on the auto-staging issue. I launched another of my simple ships to test something, and observed the following:

So, it seems the auto-stage trigger may, in fact, be working (throttle ramps up), but it isn't reaching the desired targets (decoupler doesn't fire; engine doesn't consume fuel).

it'll ramp up anyway even if autostage is off. has ever since I can remember. It'll even throttle up for a command pod with no engines

It's related to the change for the new engine module. I see I made an error in FindBurnedResources. You'll have to wait tonight. Sorry about that, use #137 meanwhile.

airhopper: could you take the time to read the last 2 3 pages before asking that ? It's quite annoying to read that when I spent all my evening coding for .23 since the release

FYI, I just downloaded, installed, and tested MechJeb 137 with 0.23. It worked great and I didn't see any obvious issues. I did not try anything with the RAPIER or much with tweakables, but the standard stuff seems to work just fine. Assent Guidance, Rendezvous Autopilot, Docking Autopilot, and Landing Guidance all worked flawlessly with a standard rocket.

Thank you for a great MOD!

From what I've found (using stock/deadly reentry & procedural fairing decouplers), the autostage isn't firing decouplers but does activate the engine in the stage after it if you manually decouple.

#139 should fix the staging issue.

Be warned that an old issue "may" still mess up stagin a bit. MJ won't stage a tank with some ressource. So if you use the rapier (or any of the jet engine) you could end up with a tank with some oxidizer left, and MJ won't stage it.

I'll need to think about how to fix this one, but it's not new and does not impact most designs.

So I just tried to run this in 0.23, and I attached the AR202 case to my ship, but the Mechjeb menu isn't coming up. I checked in the Gamedata folder and everything is where it should be. Mechjeb2.dll in the plugins folder, and both parts in the parts folder. Am I missing something?

So I just tried to run this in 0.23, and I attached the AR202 case to my ship, but the Mechjeb menu isn't coming up. I checked in the Gamedata folder and everything is where it should be. Mechjeb2.dll in the plugins folder, and both parts in the parts folder. Am I missing something?

front page. first post. get the dev versions. those are the only versions compiled for 0.23

#139 should fix the staging issue.

Be warned that an old issue "may" still mess up stagin a bit. MJ won't stage a tank with some ressource. So if you use the rapier (or any of the jet engine) you could end up with a tank with some oxidizer left, and MJ won't stage it.

I'll need to think about how to fix this one, but it's not new and does not impact most designs.

Just installed #139.

You ain't kiddin! My simple two-stager failed again to stage, and when I looked at the bottom tank (a two-tank first stage) there was still 0.36 oxidizer remaining.

How does MJ determine if the tank is "empty"? Is it taking the total resource value (Ox + LF)? Perhaps changing that calculation to a test to see if one or the other has reached zero (IF LF=0 OR Ox=0) might work better. Another possibility is a test to just see if the current stage engine is still running. You figure, if the engine has stopped, it's out of gas...

BARCLONE did you use a jet engine/saber or was it with "normal" engine ?

It tests that all ressource are =0. If I test only one then I will stage a tank where a user removed all oxidizer with the tweakable. The engine running sounds like a good idea but the current code give that a lower priority than the empty tank, so there must be a case where it's not such a good idea.

Mystique : Edit your delta-v windows and add the "ÃŽâ€V include cosine losses" from the Thrust category. When checked it compute how much dv you loose when your engine are not aligned with the ship or backward. It has it's use :)

that doesn't have a damned thing to do with it and you know it.

the fundamental difference between career mode and sandbox is that you have to unlock functionality instead of having freely available from the start.

That's great. If this were some multiplayer game where it gave someone an unfair advantage over someone else. But in a solo game what is wrong with giving someone the option* to play the game the way they wish? All the option would do is make it unnecessary for players to go digging through the part.cfg, so I'm not sure what the big difference here is for you? Does it really cause you some kind of physical pain or inconvenience to let other people have the option? Seriously, WTF?

And considering the number of people that come into this thread asking how to enable full functionality at the start of career mode, it would seem to be a welcome feature by a good portion of users whether you personally like it or not.

Not that it should matter if the option is there since you can continue to play the game the way you want.

But go ahead, tell me again why I should be forced to play the game your way. Then tell me how the option will affect you if it is implemented.

*Remember, this word means that you are not forced into this mode of play and may go through career mode as you wish.

Edited by sojourner

I'm loving the new toolbar integration with MJ, but I have one small issue. I only but the functions I use all the time in the toolbar, and the ones I use randomly or rarely I still access through the main side window. {I don't like having too many buttons in the toolbar, I get confused.} my issue is, while using the toolbar, I have no way of moving the main MJ window down, like we used to, and it covers my resource panel. Can this be fixed at some point? I know its probably a minor concern, and I don't expect you to fast track it. Just thought I'd mention it. :wink:

I agree with you sojourner, and even more if it lower the amount of people asking for that in the thread.

For now I have added a message to the menu that explain to user that additional module are unlocked as they unlock R&D node. It's a band aid but it works for users who thought is was a bug and can manage without the ascent guidance and landing AP (most likely the more missed) until they unlock it.

The remaining is user that don't want the limits. My options as I see it are :

- add a check box somewhere that deactivate the R&D system but I don't think it would lower the amount of message in the thread unless I ask with a big popup at the start of a career mode.

- add an optional download of an AR20X without the R&D limits

The popup may works if can find the correct wording.

vardicd : yes, it annoys me too :)

It's fairly easy to remove the limits from the cfg, but many users don't seem to know how to use computers... If you make a separate version of the file the first question will be, "Where do I put this? Do I just put it with the zip on my desktop?" Maybe not that clueless but close enough to not get anything done. You might have to make a whole other download with everything in it.

I agree with you sojourner, and even more if it lower the amount of people asking for that in the thread.

For now I have added a message to the menu that explain to user that additional module are unlocked as they unlock R&D node. It's a band aid but it works for users who thought is was a bug and can manage without the ascent guidance and landing AP (most likely the more missed) until they unlock it.

The remaining is user that don't want the limits. My options as I see it are :

- add a check box somewhere that deactivate the R&D system but I don't think it would lower the amount of message in the thread unless I ask with a big popup at the start of a career mode.

- add an optional download of an AR20X without the R&D limits

The popup may works if can find the correct wording.

vardicd : yes, it annoys me too :)

Thanks, and thanks for the quick reply.

That's great. If this were some multiplayer game where it gave someone an unfair advantage over someone else. But in a solo game what is wrong with giving someone the option* to play the game the way they wish? All the option would do is make it unnecessary for players to go digging through the part.cfg, so I'm not sure what the big difference here is for you? Does it really cause you some kind of physical pain or inconvenience to let other people have the option? Seriously, WTF?

And considering the number of people that come into this thread asking how to enable full functionality at the start of career mode, it would seem to be a welcome feature by a good portion of users whether you personally like it or not.

Not that it should matter if the option is there since you can continue to play the game the way you want.

But go ahead, tell me again why I should be forced to play the game your way. Then tell me how the option will affect you if it is implemented.

*Remember, this word means that you are not forced into this mode of play and may go through career mode as you wish.

You seem hell bent on having me make an argument I didn't make in the first place. Those are your words you want me to say. Not mine. I don't agree that the point is whether or not it will hurt someone and its not relevant.

That's like me saying, go ahead and tell me again how all parts packs and mods should have the option to bypass career mode.

Ok, I give up...I cant get Mechjeb to work with 0.23. The parts show up on the list, I put them on the ship....but no options, nada!

I reinstalled the game 3 times already...went and get the latest dev build...tryed the 2 before that, 136 and 137...and still nothing....

I give up

That's like me saying, go ahead and tell me again how all parts packs and mods should have the option to bypass career mode.

Would that be a problem for you specifically?

I just don't see the objection to adding something to mechjeb that you are not required to use but would be welcomed by others. It's like objecting that mechjeb has an optional theme for the gui interface.

Sarbian,

Even if MJ doesn't ask you at the start of each career, having the option there would cut down on having to explain how to edit the part.cfg file everytime someone asks how to get full functionality from the start. We can just reply with "go to setup, click disable tech requirements" or some such.

Edited by sojourner

I just reinstalled KSP and am having trouble getting mechjeb to work (in career or in sandbox). The parts load up just fine and I can attach them to my craft, however I none of the mechjeb GUI shows up when I launch the ship.

I unzipped the download file from kerbalspaceport to the GameData folder (so there are both the Squad and MechJeb2 folders there). Was that the correct way to install?

Please let me know

EDIT: here is some of the logs from output_log.txt

Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\MechJeb2.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'MechJeb2': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'MuMech.FuelNode' from assembly 'MechJeb2, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'MuMech.MechJebModuleStagingController' from assembly 'MechJeb2, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<SetConsumptionRates>c__AnonStorey2' from assembly 'MechJeb2, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<CanDrawNeededResources>c__AnonStorey3' from assembly 'MechJeb2, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<HasStayingChutes>c__AnonStoreyA' from assembly 'MechJeb2, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Edited by starspy