[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Alright, so after having tried everything in my power I cannot figure out how/why my mechjeb broke so I made a forum account specifically to hope you guys can help me out.

Mechjeb has always worked fine up until somewhere in the midst of 0.23 it broke for me. And now in 0.235 it’s still broken for me. Let me tell you what I tried before we proceed further with my problem.

- reinstalling Kerbal Space program.

- reinstalling Mechjeb

- Reinstalling kerbalspace program fresh on a different location on my hard drive with a fresh copy of mechjeb, I only edited the config file to allow mechjeb to be used at start together (By editing tech required to = start) with the auto-launch functionally (Using the same editing config tech technique) so I could see if the problem was still there.

It was.

The reason I installed it on a fresh bit of my hard drive was to see if I somehow managed to tweak some setting in some deep hidden config I never knew about, and to prevent this issue I installed it somewhere fresh.

Now, my problem is relatively simple.

I build a ship, add the mechjeb to it. Set it to auto launch, auto stage, and I don’t even check the box to prevent it from going faster than is optimal for its height to test this out. Then basically press the go button. Now, the ship launches. So the boosters kick in and the ship takes off, then the boosters run out. Mechjeb stages automatically perfectly. So far everything is smooth sailing.

Then it stops, it simply doesn’t up my throttle. My ship thus loses speed and quickly plummet’s back down onto kerbin. And I can’t figure out why. Tell me what logs you need or what screenshots you need and I’ll provide them cause I’m at the end of my rope here.

I got the problem that when a docking session takes a little bit longer with switching between some ships nearby and after that i land my shuttle and recover it, mechjeb does not timewarp anymore even if i reload the whole game. I did a litttle digging and noticed that this entry

MechJebModuleNodeExecutor

{

autowarp = False

tolerance

{

val = 0.1

_text = 0.1

}

in this file

mechjeb_settings_global.cfg

was set to false, rewriting it to true solves the problem but sometimes it changes back after a docking session.

BARCLONE : Any other mods ? I don't see what can do the Body::setMass: spam.

The other error is fixed in #217

Totally random question: I was looking at the diff for 217 and I saw that you're deleting all the entries in the toolbar dictionary and then creating a new dictionary object, letting the garbage collector free the old one. Any reason why you're doing it that way instead of calling the Clear method of the dictionary? doing that should be easier on the GC than creating a new object to replace one that's probably in the L1 or L2 GC heap and will require compaction.

Totally random question: I was looking at the diff for 217 and I saw that you're deleting all the entries in the toolbar dictionary and then creating a new dictionary object, letting the garbage collector free the old one. Any reason why you're doing it that way instead of calling the Clear method of the dictionary? doing that should be easier on the GC than creating a new object to replace one that's probably in the L1 or L2 GC heap and will require compaction.

Because I code in C# only in KSP and I don't know that I can do that :D

I'll change it and fix many other part of the code where I did the same. Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/hLtiLqh.png

In the pic the mechjeb tab is open but there is nothing being displayed. When I downloaded mechjeb I kept everything in the one folder like it said to. But something is still wrong. Any suggestions.

Yes, use the last dev version and not an old one.

Edited by sarbian

Are you sure they don't remove the reaction wheel torque? I know BTSM did this on all the stock pods and probes.

Yeah it's not the reaction wheels. I can disable them and rockets that aren't bugged still take off great. Even pods with an absurd amount of reaction wheel strength for the rocket perform the same. You can really tell because the pitch/yaw/roll indicators don't ever get past halfway despite being way off course. It's nothing to do with pods or gimbaling, its like mechjeb is putting in a half-hearted attempt to steer.

IMO it seems like the pods that have been rescaled have a problem. I don't know how in the world that could cause a problem though. Going to dig deeper into it today.

BTW Is it possible this could be happening from using an aftermarket mechjeb? Im using the bill.9000 because i've always disliked how the two MJ parts look. I tried going through the bill.9000 .cfg and i dont see anything that looks odd. Also don't see why that would effect only certain pods.

Edited by Subcidal

BTW Is it possible this could be happening from using an aftermarket mechjeb? Im using the bill.9000 because i've always disliked how the two MJ parts look. I tried going through the bill.9000 .cfg and i dont see anything that looks odd. Also don't see why that would effect only certain pods.

Easy way to find out. Try one of the rockets with the AR202 part instead.

I'll change it and fix many other part of the code where I did the same. Thanks.

Glad I could help :) Just to make sure I didn't just talk you into introducing a bug: you still need to iterate through the contents of the Dictionary calling their Destroy method, the call to toolbarButtons.Clear is supposed to replace the line that reads "toolbarButtons = new Dictionary<string, IButton>();"

Yes, use the last dev version and not an old one.

By last do you mean newest. Because I believe that is the one I am using. If not then Which one do you mean

Welp it's related to the reaction wheels but the problem isn't the lack of strength from them. Even with reaction wheels disabled my rockets follow their ascent path perfectly.

For some reason with the reaction wheel alterations in Probes_Squad.cfg, Pods_Squad.cfg and Probes_Aies_new.cfg mess with mechjeb. If i disable the alterations the rocket works fine with or without reaction wheels enabled.

If I leave the reaction wheel alterations enabled mechjeb doesn't seem to even attempt following its ascent path. But if i leave the .cfgs enabled and disable pod torque it does follow its ascent path (Wtttfffff?)

Anybody have any ideas as to why? It's not a big deal i can just disable the reaction wheel alterations for now. But I'd really like to know why after spending a day and a half track this down.

Edit : Discovered my problem. Mechjeb's Auto TF messes up certain pods. Switching to stock SAS fixes the problem completely.

Edited by Subcidal

Welp it's related to the reaction wheels but the problem isn't the lack of strength from them. Even with reaction wheels disabled my rockets follow their ascent path perfectly.

For some reason with the reaction wheel alterations in Probes_Squad.cfg, Pods_Squad.cfg and Probes_Aies_new.cfg mess with mechjeb. If i disable the alterations the rocket works fine with or without reaction wheels enabled.

If I leave the reaction wheel alterations enabled mechjeb doesn't seem to even attempt following its ascent path. But if i leave the .cfgs enabled and disable pod torque it does follow its ascent path (Wtttfffff?)

Anybody have any ideas as to why? It's not a big deal i can just disable the reaction wheel alterations for now. But I'd really like to know why after spending a day and a half track this down.

Edit : Discovered my problem. Mechjeb's Auto TF messes up certain pods. Switching to stock SAS fixes the problem completely.

You may also want to check MJ's PID numbers in the settings. I had something similar (during autopilot, ship was very unstable) and I realized my PIDs were set way to soft. There's a window just for this, and I realized from old data that the settings were different. Changed those back and everything worked like normal. (They also get saved per saved ship, so pay attention to that.) Not sure this has anything to do with your specific issue, but it's worth a shot. :)

Is there any way to remove a landing target from the UI once it's been placed? Or is the only way to do that to unfocus the ship?

Further, why does the orientation of the MJ part matter so much? I'd like to stick it on the side of a command pod or other sloped surfaces, or sometimes even stick it sideways so that I can cram more things on a probe, but it wreaks havoc with the navball. It also changes the headings of the navball. It's entirely too easy to place an MJ part on a rocket and have it try to run itself into the ground thinking that sideways is up, or that north is in fact south.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Yep, I usually put a tiny robot core that's pointing "the right way up" on my more weirdly-shaped ships, just so I can do "control from here". Switching to IVA usually changes the control part to the capsule though, which is quite annoying. Thank goodness for RPM's reference part function :)

It doesn't matter, unless you're controlling from it. Right click the command part (or docking port) whose orientation you *want* your ship to use and choose "control from here."

Well herping derp derp derp. I should've figured that out.

Still no idea how to remove the blasted landing indicator though, not without going back to the space center. O.o

Please wrap up the Protractor mod's functionality in a MechJeb window. It's a woefully out-of-date eyesore but it's perfect for those who want to fly manual instead of auto-piloting to another planet. Just like ascents are better when flying the ascent path marker.

By last do you mean newest. Because I believe that is the one I am using. If not then Which one do you mean

Last one here :

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

Ok, this give me a starting point.

Oinker

I may, but I'm not a fan of ripping whole other mod to put them in MJ.

It doesn't matter, unless you're controlling from it. Right click the command part (or docking port) whose orientation you *want* your ship to use and choose "control from here."

This ^

So don't worry, you can stick it wherever you want it and it will still work! :cool:

It it possible to make maneuver planner window customizable? Specifically, to allow disabling some of the features (for example, I almost never use change peri/apoapsis feature, but I still have to scroll over it every time I need to get to interplanetary transfers and so on).