[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Given that the discussion was about spent booster stages, suborbital was heavily implied. People saying that a command pod prevents debris deletion are taking my answer out of context.

EDIT: The discussion (or rather the question that started the discussion) is as follows (emphasis mine):

What kind of problems would i get if for example i put mechjebcases at boosters, so that they can be controlled and brought down on parachutes after separation? [...] What would happen with a mj equipped booster after reaching the 2.3km distance while i keep controlling the mainvessel during launch?
Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

No distinction was made previously for suborbital. Only pressure.

A couple of KSP revisions ago, when I sent my mission to Duna (it's still there!), the boosters that sent the ship on its way dropped into very elliptical orbits around Kerbin with periapsis well below 70KM. I had the rockomax/OKTO2/clampotron parts atop them. I figured since they were dragging deep into the atmosphere that they'd get deleted because if you're flying a ship on such an orbit and just let it go, it'll crash.

Did you select control from here on the docking port you want to use
Just so....
@ stildawn

That's a very weird issue? Maybe you've placed too much RCS thrusters, or you craft you want to dock is too light, so it thrust's to hard.

I don't know if that is it, when I posted the day before it was trying to dock the largest fuel tank (with some other stuff of course to make it flyable, onto another large tank) so that's a large ship, and last night I was trying to dock my mini landers to the mother ship (the mothership was brought to orbit, and then another launch brought up three of the attachable landers), so they are small ships.

One lander was a pain to dock, but managed it, the second frustrated me to know end so I just left autopilot on and went and watched TV, came back later and it was docked, used a lot of prop fuel though. And the third lander worked perfectly first time. Quite odd.

There is a red line in my signature. It's not here just for style.

Sorry the latest one, only installed a few days ago really. To confirm the downloaded zip says Mechjeb2 - 2.2.1.0

Edited by stildawn

Try launching a probe, giving it a 200x10km orbit, and see what happens. I'm betting it gets zapped.

(My apologies for saying suborbital before; AFAIK Starwaster's right and it's purely pressure based)

Challenge accepted! I should have had you put some money behind that bet; daddy needs a new computer. Probes and manned ships alike survive an orbit dipping 10km into the atmosphere, which is considerably higher in pressure than the aforementioned 0.01 at that altitude. One interesting thing of note is that in the tracking station, a 'Kerbal X Debris' was generated when the test craft entered atmo. (Kerbal X was the basis for both manned and probe craft). It vanished once the ship was out of the atmosphere again. Just in case it mattered, I tried not being in the tracking station when the designated time for destruction was nigh. It made no difference.

That's super weird! Well, The More You Know.

(I assume you mean dipping to 10km, not dipping 10km, which would be ~59km)

Nope, periapsis of 10km.

Which makes for an interesting time if you switch to the ship while it's at full orbital velocity deep in the atmosphere.

Sorry the latest one, only installed a few days ago really. To confirm the downloaded zip says Mechjeb2 - 2.2.1.0

This helps a lot. You are using the last official release, but not the last dev release. The official MJ are not released often (1 or 2 for each KSP version) but there are a lot of dev release with bugs fix and new features (and new bugs :sticktongue: ). The current dev release had a lot of change to the docking AP so I would sugest you try it : http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/lastSuccessfulBuild/

As .24 is drawing near I would welcome if users of the current dev could remind me if there is any big bugs remaining in dev, so I could try to fix them before we get the new official MJ for .24, or at least add them to the things I should look at in the next devs.

"As .24 is drawing near I would welcome if users of the current dev could remind me if there is any big bugs remaining in dev..."

I just had to do a complete re-build of my game and mods, as it was beginning to act seriously ugly. After repopulating a few mods, the LGAP has started working correctly. A new LKO Taxi did a proper de-orbit burn from 200 km, and the target indicator in map view followed the projected impact spot like it's supposed to.

I'm suspecting either an incompatibility between MJ and one or more of those mods, or a full memory issue (very likely). Hopefully there will be a Linux build in 64-bit alongside the new Windows version...

Just thought I'd share this tidbit of info, maybe there's less of a problem with some of these MJ modules than it first appeared. Sorry I could only share some good news instead of the bad you were so eagerly wanting to hear...:D

Did you select control from here on the docking port you want to use
Just so....
@ stildawn

That's a very weird issue? Maybe you've placed too much RCS thrusters, or you craft you want to dock is too light, so it thrust's to hard.

This helps a lot. You are using the last official release, but not the last dev release. The official MJ are not released often (1 or 2 for each KSP version) but there are a lot of dev release with bugs fix and new features (and new bugs :sticktongue: ). The current dev release had a lot of change to the docking AP so I would sugest you try it : http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/lastSuccessfulBuild/

As .24 is drawing near I would welcome if users of the current dev could remind me if there is any big bugs remaining in dev, so I could try to fix them before we get the new official MJ for .24, or at least add them to the things I should look at in the next devs.

Thanks heaps for the response will certainly try that out tonight when I get he and report back.

Cheers

Docking: Random and intermittent bug where the autopilot, when engaged will start thrusting in directions that make no sense for the situation. Sometimes not even lining itself up with the docking axis. I can even park it in front of the target docking port and it will start thrusting long and hard away from the docking axis. My solution in times like that is to toggle the autopilot on and off and see if it starts docking correctly. Sometimes I have to repeat that a few times but eventually it will start to dock properly. (it's not hard to tell when it's going to be able to dock or not).

That's the latest build and I never see any errors in the log file. The way it acts though makes me think it has its axes confused. It's actually something I've reported before and it's been like that ever since the big docking code refactoring from quite a few months back.

Something non-docking related and a lot easier to deal with is atmospheric pressure: There's a number of places in the code that operate under the assumption that pressure is zero when less than 1e-6. And that's definitely true most of the time but not when useLegacyAtmosphere = true, but when it's false (for Real Solar System) the pressure has no lower limit and is dependent on pressureCurve. I suggested a fix that was put in for CelestialBodyExtensions a while back so if you take a look at that you'll see what I'm talking about. There's still some places in the code that need to be changed like ReentrySimulation which should improve its accuracy when predicting landings for RSS sized Kerbin (Earth).

Possibly I might be able to take care of it myself and submit it, but I haven't been able to find the time to do it so far. :(

I'd like to see a Spaceplane Ascent Guidance with a profile that doesn't start out vertical, so it can get off the runway without striking the planes' tails on the runway and breaking things.

What happened to having MechJeb functionality without needing special parts? At one point this was added to all the stock "command" parts (probe cores, cockpits, capsules, etc.), and

(while I can't understand French and have only the faintest idea what he's talking about) clearly shows the MechJeb tab appear in the VAB as soon as he sticks a stock command capsule into the build space--and yet, the only way I can get it to work is with either the Mechanical Jeb Pod or the MechJeb AR202 case. What gives?

1st you need ModuleManager ,then you make new New Text Document paste in this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

and rename it to something like MJ.cfg and put it in GameData folder.This will add all functionality of MJ to all pods and probes.

if you whant to integrate carere mode then this is for you:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}

Edited by sebi.zzr

There's a number of places in the code that operate under the assumption that pressure is zero when less than 1e-6

Yes, there is still quite a few of those. I you don't find the will to submit a change then keep reminding me about it :)

I'd like to see a Spaceplane Ascent Guidance with a profile that doesn't start out vertical, so it can get off the runway without striking the planes' tails on the runway and breaking things.

Ok I see how this is annoying and might not work for planes with low TWR at all, but seriously you can take off yourself and then use MJ.

Ok I see how this is annoying and might not work for planes with low TWR at all, but seriously you can take off yourself and then use MJ.

I'd like to have the option to keep the plane as a certain roll like once in orbit so that your plane does not end up flying with its wings for example like this " \ ". I'd also like to take this moment to say that the auto-landing DOES work provided your able to quickly turn on SAS once you abort it a few feet off the runway. Or just prey that the Auto-land does not nose-plant the front of your spaceplane into the runway. Witch tends to happen on greater than 7.5. Id like to be able to safely use an approach angle of 15 so that it will make it over the mountain range just west of KSC.

Also I am aware that the space plane autopilot is not a high up thing on the list of to-do stuff and is mostly just suggestion fixes I'd like to see.

Damaske