[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Does anybody know if MechJeb utilizes the airbrakes from B9? Doesn't look like it uses them. I'm trying to figure out a way to improve MJs landing accuracy in atmosphere with FAR. Of course though, it doesn't help much if it doesn't even try to adjust course during re-entry.

Also, the last time the ascent autopilot vanished the launch clamps the instant I clicked autostage while warping, it actually said that some of the clamps exploded, I think.

Edit: I tried the vernor jets (B9 I believe) and MJ absolutely does not know how to use them, plus I may be using them wrong. The landing precision was even worse with vernor jets.

Edit2: And um, how do you get mechjeb to do a low deorbit burn?

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is Eeloo

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Camera Mode: AUTO

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Packing Sundiver for orbit

activating stage 8 - current stage: 9

[fuelTank3-2]: Activated

[fuelTank3-2]: Activated

[strutConnector]: Activated

[liquidEngine1-2]: Activated

[winglet3]: Activated

[Size2LFB]: Activated

[launchClamp1]: Activated

[05:30:20]: Liftoff!!

Packing Sundiver Debris for orbit

getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: 43048787.8948038

ObT : NaN
M : NaN
E : NaN
V : NaN
Radius: NaN
vel: [NaN, NaN, NaN]
AN: [0.835486509174187, -0.549510958023524, 0]
period: NaN

[OrbitDriver Warning!]: Sundiver Debris had a NaN Orbit and was removed.

Sundiver Debris Unloaded

Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

(Filename: Line: 155)

getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: 43048787.8948038

ObT : NaN
M : NaN
E : NaN
V : NaN
Radius: NaN
vel: [NaN, NaN, NaN]
AN: [0.835486509174187, -0.549510958023524, 0]
period: NaN

[OrbitDriver Warning!]: Sundiver Debris had a NaN Orbit and was removed.

Sundiver Debris Unloaded

Vessel Sundiver Debris was on-rails at 55070086871008300000000000000000000.0 atm pressure and was destroyed.

Vessel Sundiver Debris crashed through terrain on Kerbin

[00:03:40]: Sundiver Debris crashed into Kerbin.

launchClamp1 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.1

[launchClamp1]: Deactivated

Vessel Sundiver Debris was on-rails at 1.0 atm pressure and was destroyed.

Vessel Sundiver Debris crashed through terrain on Kerbin

launchClamp1 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.1

[launchClamp1]: Deactivated

2 explosions created.

Edited by smjjames

I have found an error. I am trying to fulfill a contract with a westward orbit. In adjusting the inclination of the orbit to 10.2°, mechjeb gives me an answer of ~4200m/s. It's about 4000m/s to reverse the direction of my orbit an actually 350m/s to adjust the inclination. I don't understand this answer, but it's very repeatable.

I have found an error. I am trying to fulfill a contract with a westward orbit. In adjusting the inclination of the orbit to 10.2°, mechjeb gives me an answer of ~4200m/s. It's about 4000m/s to reverse the direction of my orbit an actually 350m/s to adjust the inclination. I don't understand this answer, but it's very repeatable.

At what orbital point are you trying to adjust your inclination? It matters. You want it to be either the ascending node or descending node. Which one doesn't mostly matter. Mostly.

I've tried both the ascending and descending nodes as well as after a fixed time.

EDIT: Nevermind, I needed to correct 180° for mechjeb since 0° is apparently a due eastward orbit.

Edited by wizzlebippi

@wizzlebippi: What about dragging the maneuver node along the orbit?

After I saw in the output log that it activated the base stage for some reason, I got a hunch and made a slight change to the ship I was using. I decided to put a mainsail on (because the LFB KR 1x1 doesn't have a node on the bottom), put a decoupler under that, and make that decoupler it's own stage. Tested that and the clamps didn't vanish, then I removed the decoupler and the clamps vanished under the exact same conditions.

Edit: I put the decoupler in the same stage as the normal base stage and same results without the clamps vanishing.

The two ships have a few B9 Aerospace parts. To jump to the ships before launch, search duna in the output log. http://sta.sh/01tky4gjmw13

Edited by smjjames

What am I doing wrong? I unlocked the required tech tree for the mechjeb case but still i'm missing maneuver planner, rendezvous autopilot etc.

EDIT: Nevermind I didn't read correctly and it clearly said I need to upgrade my tracking station :D

@wizzlebippi: What about dragging the maneuver node along the orbit?

After I saw in the output log that it activated the base stage for some reason, I got a hunch and made a slight change to the ship I was using. I decided to put a mainsail on (because the LFB KR 1x1 doesn't have a node on the bottom), put a decoupler under that, and make that decoupler it's own stage. Tested that and the clamps didn't vanish, then I removed the decoupler and the clamps vanished under the exact same conditions.

Edit: I put the decoupler in the same stage as the normal base stage and same results without the clamps vanishing.

The two ships have a few B9 Aerospace parts. To jump to the ships before launch, search duna in the output log. http://sta.sh/01tky4gjmw13

Could someone look into this? Because I've had other ships behave similarily as well, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason why, no common factor that is causing it. At least as far as I can tell.

Could someone look into this? Because I've had other ships behave similarily as well, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason why, no common factor that is causing it. At least as far as I can tell.

What I think is that MJ is staging them, which it is supposed to do... But the issue of them vanishing is caused by something else. I don't think MJ has the capacity to do that. Still not sure what...

The latest ship I launched had the problem of launching without me doing the launch command, that is, pressing spacebar, and that one is without the symmetry action fix.

As for the launch clamps, I'm not saying that MJ is deleting them, but something is happening to them. In an early 0.90 version of mechjeb, it happened a whole lot, but in later versions, it stopped happening so much. Whether that is because of my own design changes or the MJ version, I have no idea.

Edit: Actually, it was a slightly different design of one of my ships, but theres another with the same problems. Or should I just construct a new one?

Edited by smjjames

Make sure the clamp don't just break under the ship weight too (it happens easily once MJ start warping at 2x speed). Once the clamp are gone MJ will stage as usual.

They do break? I thought the clamps were like, completely invulnerable. Also, I've tried doing manual warps with the same ships that MJ makes the clamps disappear in and they don't when I increase the timestep. Heck, even using the warp helper works just fine.

Also, in a question completely unrelated to the above problem that I'm talking about, how come this ship, after it starts the gravity turn, keeps rocking or rolling from side to side? I've tried doing it manually and it doesn't happen there, so I know it's not a problem with FAR. Also, I've had ships with a worse problem of rolling or rocking side to side, but while I've figured out how to mitigate it a bit, I can't figure out the WHY.

iUPrOJJ.jpg

http://sta.sh/01swg6xw4s51 (craft file, also, to note, if you're using FAR or maybe NEAR, be sure to limit acceleration to 18m/s squared, otherwise the main engine explodes from overheating after the boosters are ejected. Not sure what happened there, I suspect the exhaust from the separators are hitting the engine and pushing it past the breaking point before MJ can react)

Edited by smjjames

I'd hazard a guess that part of your launch clamp problem is that you have them attached to the rocket too high up. (could be mistaken though).

To stop the engine explosion change the lower fuel tank into 2 of the half tanks, lowers the overheat of engines for some reason.

My question isn't about the engine overheating, it's about the ship rolling or rocking, unless that's normal?

Also, does anybody know of a way to extend the horizontial reach of those clamps? There have been many times where I wanted to place clamps higher up on the rocket or on the main body itself, only to have the vertical part clip through other parts of the rocket.

Edited by smjjames

My question isn't about the engine overheating, it's about the ship rolling or rocking, unless that's normal?

Also, does anybody know of a way to extend the horizontial reach of those clamps? There have been many times where I wanted to place clamps higher up on the rocket or on the main body itself, only to have the vertical part clip through other parts of the rocket.

The rolling issue might be related to the craft design. I have experienced rolling crafts many times when using the KR-2L Engine. I can't explain why this happens, but I think the issue comes from KSP, not from MechJeb.

I don't think you can extend those stock Clamps.

The rolling issue might be related to the craft design. I have experienced rolling crafts many times when using the KR-2L Engine. I can't explain why this happens, but I think the issue comes from KSP, not from MechJeb.

I don't think you can extend those stock Clamps.

Actually, it usually happens when using those large SRBs.

Currently in career mode we unlock Mechjeb modules by technologies.

e.g.

Flight Control => SmartASS

Advanced Flight Control => ManeuverPlanner

Unmanned Tech => AscentGuidance

Is it possible to integrate Mechjeb into pilot and probe level system?

e.g.

Level 1 pilot, level 0 moduleSAS => SmartASS

Level 2 pilot, level 1 moduleSAS => ManeuverPlanner

Level 3 pilot, level 2 moduleSAS => AscentGuidance

Actually, it usually happens when using those large SRBs.

Got them strutted above and below the decoupler? A bit of wobble will be counteracted by MechJeb using engine gimbals, RCS, reaction wheels, and if you have them on it, aerodynamic controls.

A rocket with a lot of inertia will oscillate back and forth as MechJeb attempts to control its flight, unless you have a lot of control power. I've been testing some very large rockets with the latest parts I added to ReStock and it seems I can't put enough control power on so MechJeb can whip it around at a decent speed *and* prevent it from overshooting the desired direction of aim.

Sort of like Pilot Induced Oscillation, except instead of getting progressively worse, MechJeb can usually damp it down and get the rocket going the desired direction.

I'm going to try removing Stock Drag Fix because the latest dev version of MechJeb can't even land my trusty old Stock Lander 1 on Kerbin http://pastebin.com/wLrAUttX

It just repeatedly over-burns then flips the ship around and "corrects" way too much over and over until it's gone way past the target. It used to just burn too much on the deorbit then make one or two corrections and settle down to landing, somewhat less accurately than without SDF but at least it could land on bodies with atmosphere.

Got them strutted above and below the decoupler? A bit of wobble will be counteracted by MechJeb using engine gimbals, RCS, reaction wheels, and if you have them on it, aerodynamic controls.

A rocket with a lot of inertia will oscillate back and forth as MechJeb attempts to control its flight, unless you have a lot of control power. I've been testing some very large rockets with the latest parts I added to ReStock and it seems I can't put enough control power on so MechJeb can whip it around at a decent speed *and* prevent it from overshooting the desired direction of aim.

Sort of like Pilot Induced Oscillation, except instead of getting progressively worse, MechJeb can usually damp it down and get the rocket going the desired direction.

I always strut them at the top, middle (middle of the booster approx), and bottom (below the radial decoupler), so they're strutted out pretty well.

I've also noticed that the oscillation actually still happens a little bit after the SRBs detach, but the oscillation calms down once the rocket gets beyond much of the atmosphere.

As for the landing, does anybody know how to fix the fact that it's very inaccurate when landing in atmosphere with FAR?

Make sure the clamp don't just break under the ship weight too (it happens easily once MJ start warping at 2x speed). Once the clamp are gone MJ will stage as usual.

I tried to add more clamps to the ship that I knew was having the clamp problem, didn't help.

Edit: After I removed one pair of clamps (which was actually getting in the way anyhow), it works fine when autostage is on, wierd.

Edit2: Actually no, it's still doing it :P

Edited by smjjames