[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

HI all, I would like to know what's the meaning of the DYNAMIC PRESSURE FADEOUT option in the AoA limiter in the ascent autopilot. I thought that upon reaching that level of dynamic pressure, as shown by mechjeb itself, the AoA limiter will switch off. Instead the value has been ignored every time and I have to switch off the limiter manually to have proper ascent profile.

Moreover, is it possible to have mechjeb to handle the throttle TWR in order to keep it to a selected value for liquid fuel engines?

Thank you!

Thanks for the tips adjusting the accent path plus limiting acceleration etc seems to have done the trick on regards to the flips.

Still can't figure out the inclination thing though never seems to match what the missions want me to do.

For hiting inclination of satelite contract with mechjeb you need to launch at AN or DN of the given orbit in proper inclination (+/- values of °). You are thinking about space but it is actualy matter of space AND time.

@Serbian: Big thanks. Amazing work on updates. MJ has taught me ho to do stuff in KSP. I learned from watching mechjeb much more then from totorials and videos. Today it is great tool for me to automate some maneuvers and if my wife would know that MJ is doing my burns while i do some house works she would thank you too :-D

About bugs...had to much fun to notice any. Of course i am not insane (like some) to expect to use landing autopilot in new aero and i dont usualy build flip-y rockets...

Edited by Cebi

The map View is the Map Kraken and its squads fault, second idk exactly hopefully the maker of MechJeb replies to this but your welcome for the help and see WikiPedia's Deep Space Kraken site for info on the Map Kraken

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, bad ninja pirate mod. Sorry for starting the thread with a bug report re-toast, and congrats on 1000 posts!

Okay yet another weirdness report! I was in the middle of orbital maneuvers to go for my first rendezvous (I was really close, too!) when my ship exploded in space while I was in the map view, just the same second as I clicked the button for Retrograde on the SMASS. The flight log said that the command pod exploded due to overheating... what? I had nothing firing at the time, apart from RCS. I\'m pretty sure RCS doesn\'t emit heat. Does it?

It\'s worth noting that upon inspection, it appears the debris is totally intact minus the pod 2.0 I had been using for control. Except that it was chopped into three perfectly separate pieces with very minutely different orbits, probably because of the explosion... this is looking suspiciously like Apollo 13.

Frist The map Kraken Is the map Bug (see Wiki site for more info) and second, idk maybe r4m0m will reply and help. your welcome -Stars

Sarbian,

Just a bump about the problem with MJ and the MM config not working. This is also for anyone else who might be having this problem:

Running the current DLL: 2.6.2

The following MM code isn't working. What happens is that everything is unlocked immediately, without regard to the tech tree:

Code:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
%MODULE[MechJebCore]
{
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}

Sarbian said in the modulemanager thread that this was a bug in Mechjeb. So if you run into this, don't bug him, he already knows about it.

@Sarbian, thank you for all the hard work you do for this and other mods. I'm not impatient, take your time and get it done to your satisfaction.

LGG

I will have a look tomorrow.

Cheers, Sarbian.

Get around to it whenever the heck you feel like it. =)

If there's anything I can do to help, I'm at your service.

Edited by slaintemaith
Personal grammatical idiocy

AoA is active. Tryed every angle 1-20 and it still flips 6-7km after launch. What bugs me is that in version 435 it was working for me after I find that TV was not working (posted at steam forum). Someone point me here and find out about 438, after that I cant get it to work. Clean install and now 435 wont work either. The problem for me dont seem to be AoA its not loosing control when it turns. Its loosing control while on vertical ascent. When prograde starts to move mechjeb is not following it.

Love Jrpg.

Thanks for your reply and effort just after 1.0 release.

Care not about imediatist (not sure if this is a word, but I am pretty sure you got it)

Sounds more like you've got a design problem.

HI all, I would like to know what's the meaning of the DYNAMIC PRESSURE FADEOUT option in the AoA limiter in the ascent autopilot. I thought that upon reaching that level of dynamic pressure, as shown by mechjeb itself, the AoA limiter will switch off. Instead the value has been ignored every time and I have to switch off the limiter manually to have proper ascent profile.

I don't know myself, but I suspect it may have something to do with jet engines or airbreathing engines.

I am a long time fan of this mod and enjoy it immensely. It takes so much guess work out of the game allowing me to do other things with my limited time. I look forward to when it has been put back together and thank you for all the hard work. :D

Hi, tried using MechJeb2 again after about a year from KSP. Installed the update, and now MechJeb doesn't seem to work (Latest Steam version, with MechJeb that supports 1.0.0).

Tried to launch and activated auto-sequence, but it didn't work. Also, did notice that every function of MechJeb was unlocked, although I've only unlocked the first tech for it. Either way, its not working as intended.

I have removed MechJeb and got steam to verify the game files and it replaced a file. Reloaded MechJeb with no luck.

Please advice.

Is it possible to get MechJeb windows on EVA? I wanted a small custom window with a few readouts as a kind of hud (Distance to target / time to closest approach / current biome), but didn't want to add another mod if MJ does it. Also I see Mach number as an option, but would it be possible to add E.A.S (equivalent air speed)?

Apologies if this has been asked / noted here, or its not MechJeb thats doing the calculations but, my TWR are being displayed wrong in the editor. Don't know what's wrong..

Theres some issues with the staging deltaV right now and it'll take some time to fix.

Apologies if this has been asked / noted here, or its not MechJeb thats doing the calculations but, my TWR are being displayed wrong in the editor. Don't know what's wrong..

Are you looking at the right number, because I only just noticed the SLT figure which is Sea Level Thrust and a simple 3 part ship (Stayputnik, LF Tank and Nerva) has a TWR of 1.4, Max TWR of 1.6, BUT a SLT of only 0.4. I only looked at the TWR figure and thought it would fly, but of course it just sat on the pad.

AoA is active. Tryed every angle 1-20 and it still flips 6-7km after launch. What bugs me is that in version 435 it was working for me after I find that TV was not working (posted at steam forum). Someone point me here and find out about 438, after that I cant get it to work. Clean install and now 435 wont work either. The problem for me dont seem to be AoA its not loosing control when it turns. Its loosing control while on vertical ascent. When prograde starts to move mechjeb is not following it.

Then this means your launcher is unbalanced. Either your center of lift is forward of your center of mass, or your center of mass is shifting forward as your rocket drains fuel from forward tanks first.

Either get a mod to dynammically shift fuel around to keep mass forward, do that manually, or add small fins to the lowest part of your rocket.

Instead the value has been ignored every time and I have to switch off the limiter manually to have proper ascent profile.

Moreover, is it possible to have mechjeb to handle the throttle TWR in order to keep it to a selected value for liquid fuel engines?

Thank you!

A "proper" ascent shouldn't be needing to do large AoAs. You mean limit acceleration?

Tried to launch and activated auto-sequence, but it didn't work.

Define "didn't work". That really could mean almost anything.

They aren't wrong, just different. The new aero changes the thrust with ISP while keeping fuel flow the same (like reality) where the last aero changed the fuel flow to keep the thrust constant (which is simpler). So you see vacuum thrust in one spot and atmospheric thrust in another.

For hiting inclination of satelite contract with mechjeb you need to launch at AN or DN of the given orbit in proper inclination (+/- values of °). You are thinking about space but it is actualy matter of space AND time.

Ah ok, so how does one do that? Just wait until the AN/DN is over the Space Center then launch? Is there some way Mechjeb can do this as it sounds complicated as.

A "proper" ascent shouldn't be needing to do large AoAs. You mean limit acceleration?

Umm... that is completely incorrect.

Yes, a proper ascent will eventually need a large AoA as it pitches over to begin building horizontal velocity. We used to be able to pitch over with impunity, but the new aerodynamic model sends the craft tumbling head over heels if you try it too low. (Below about 10-12k.)

I interpreted "Dynamic Pressure Fadeout" the same way - that the limiter would be backed off when the pressure dropped below that value and aerodynamic effects no longer predominate. (I.E. once you're high enough that aerodynamic effects are no longer trying to send the vehicle tumbling.) But it doesn't seem to work that way, and the limit stays in place even when it's no longer relevant.

You should be starting the gravity turn well below 10KM. I have mine set to start at 1KM with a TWR of no more than about 1.5 - 1.6.

This is the same setting I used in 0.90 with FAR and works well for the majority of the rockets I build. I've never needed to limit AoA in ascent guidance.

You should be starting the gravity turn well below 10KM. I have mine set to start at 1KM with a TWR of no more than about 1.5 - 1.6.

This is the same setting I used in 0.90 with FAR and works well for the majority of the rockets I build. I've never needed to limit AoA in ascent guidance.

Yeah, exactly. The soupisphere behavior is obsolete and incorrect.

I tended to use limit AoA a good deal on my rockets in 0.90, but that's largely because MJ tends to turn too fast, or I need it to keep the rocket from flipping over.

Gravity turn should be based on velocity not altitude. Generally you should start by 100m/s, but the overall curve depends a lot on your TWR. If it's high you should be more aggressive to avoid picking up too much vertical velocity. It's been a while since I've played KSP, especially stock system. I'd say you should be horizontal by 40-45km.

Do I understand correctly that currently MehJeb is a bit confused with new aerodynamic model? Because I had no problems with MJ ascent guidance before, and after 1.0 I got a lot of air disassembles, and other nasty unplanned events.

Also, as I got from ksp 1.0 patch notes I should pay more attention to aerodynamic of my rocket. Do MechJeb have any info window to check effects of fairing and other aerodynamic elements I'm installing on a rocket?

I am a fairly new player and I am trying to use Mechjeb. I am using a mac. I have downloaded the most recent mechjeb and have copied it into KSP. I went into ksp, then game data, then posted the whole file there next to the squad folder. That is all i have downloaded and done. When I start up KSP, I get an error message saying that Mechjeb is not correctly installed. The incorrect path says Gamedata/Mechjeb2/Plugins/Mechjeb2.dll. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong? thanks!

I would like to suggest an enhancement to the Maneuver Planner window. Quite often, I am unable to place a maneuver node on my flight path. This usually happens after change of SOI.

My suggestion is to add another option: Create maneuver node. The user would have the opportunity to enter the number of seconds from the current position to create the node. Perhaps default the time might be 180 seconds. The node would then be created, and the player would use the Maneuver Node Editor to manipulate the node.