Seperate App for ship building

Hey Guys,

I was just thinking that it would be really awesome if there was a way to build ships on the fly, outside of KSP and then have them load into it when you open the game.

So for instance, I could be on the train and get an idea for a ship and use my ipad (or something similar) to put the this together and save it to a cloud or email or what ever. Then when I get home and open KSP it would check my cloud/email/whatever and download any new ships for final edit and launch.

Something like a VAB app or SPH app......

I would think, and maybe incorrectly, that since there's no ships being flown the program doesn't have to work as hard. It's just keeping track of stats for each part and how they are being put together....

Is something like that even possible? I'm no programmer so I'm sorry if what I'm talking about hurt anyone's brain. :blush:

I'm very sure that this would be possible!

However, somebody would have to make it. I don't think Squad has the time for it, and quite frankly, I hope that they focus their efforts on the Desktop port of the game, Ironing out bugs and making the game better.

Well, KSP for Wii-U will allow building stuff on their pad-like controller while piloting in the main screen, so SQUAD is working in something *similar* to what the OP is asking...

It's not Squad that's working on it, it's an outside company.

And as far as I remember, all info about how the gameplay will be is pure speculation (if it's not, please enlighten me with links!).

Well, this is not speculation ( atleast mine :D ). See KSP section of this Pax Prime Nindies @ Night , by our dear Maxmaps ( starts at 15m )

Max says clearly what I posted above.

P.S. Sorry for the quality, but couldn't find a better quality video :/

I'm a bit skeptical that an app would truly work to make designs on a tablet. I find not using a 3d mouse already annoying enough. Also with the popularity of other mods this is a dead-born child: there is no way you could support mods. Unless it became THE standard way to design, and mod creators would create special plugins for this app. (But then you're looking at plugins which would make it impossible to distribute through the apple store).

Agreed, won't work. A bit of a designer uses all the keys on his keyboard and all buttons on his mouse. Tablets are incredibly clumsy except for the fact you can take one with you.

The fact that the editor only starts to shine when you use all it's functions, would be bad marketing if you put it on a platform which doesn't support those functions or with a slow workaround.

Edited by Azimech

Not that good, apart from the RAM, there is the CPU to consider. The iPad might eventually get good enough, probably in the next 5 to 10 years or so.

Again, an app that uses the Internet for fast processing could be made.

• 1 year later...

the reason computers need RAM in the ship builder is because of all of the things going on in the visual background. the standard apple and android product would easily be able to load ship textures and models.

the builder does not need much power if it won't have to load any other part of the game, like flying.

third party parts can be downloaded in the same way you download them on to your computer.

i would like for the builder to export as a 3d model for printing, and maybe a .gif file to show it spinning.

you could do it yourself with something like Unity, but im not sure how compatible the part files are (especially the pipes and cables).

i know for sure that you can do it. tablets and phones can take more of a beating than just one ship file, so don't be all pessimistic.

Mods would be interesting issue to work out. But I fully believe current smart phones and tablets could handle a ship builder. Remove the 3d VAB and SPH for static backgrounds. Loading only parts and the mechanics to put them together. (And the engineer report of course)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.