[1.1] VesselMover v1.5 (+Vessel spawning, toolbar ui) - Apr 25

BahamutoD

Update 1.4
- Toolbar menu
- Disabled alt-p hotkey (please use toolbar UI)
- Vessel spawner (experimental)

Notes
I switched to using the toolbar in order to avoid the issues with hotkeys on Linux and conflicts with other mods.

Thanks to @nightingale for the vessel spawning code from Contract Configurator.  I simply adapted it to be able to spawn vessels in-game with a craft browser.

Spawning vessels with launch clamps usually causes explosions.  So avoid it if you can.

The spawn location selector doesn't detect water yet.  Forgot about that.

Video demo:

Edited by BahamutoD

1 hour ago, BahamutoD said:

Update 1.4
- Toolbar menu
- Disabled alt-p hotkey (please use toolbar UI)
- Vessel spawner (experimental)

Notes
I switched to using the toolbar in order to avoid the issues with hotkeys on Linux and conflicts with other mods.

Thanks to @nightingale for the vessel spawning code from Contract Configurator.  I simply adapted it to be able to spawn vessels in-game with a craft browser.

Spawning vessels with launch clamps usually causes explosions.  So avoid it if you can.

The spawn location selector doesn't detect water yet.  Forgot about that.

Awesome!  I'm actually surprised you got the vessel spawning stuff working so well in the flight scene, I know that I had some trouble with spawning in-flight (I think I moved it to try to spawn before hitting that scene as much as possible).  I can't remember the exact issue, but I know there were some parts or part modules that caused exceptions (RTG might've been one of them, you might want to test that out if you haven't).

Also, awesome A-10. :D

2 hours ago, sashan said:

Would it be possible to add an option to re-enable it? I've got so used to it...

How will you ever get by :( 

Spoiler

workflow.png

Edited by Svm420

@BahamutoD  would you consider making your mods compatible with Blizzy's toolbar? Some of us are running out of real estate on our monitors from GUI buttons. Quick hide helps too but with the ever increasing toolbar using mods. It can very quickly become a cluttered mess. (While at the same time I do love the new features and understand why you opted to use the stock toolbar.

Hey! Loving the update, being able to spawn craft that quickly is such an amazing thing!

I appear to have come across a bug with it though, I moved a vessel a long way away from the KSC, put it down, then spawned an aircraft next to it, picked that up and moved it back to the KSC, and then noticed a whole lot of lag, opened up the debug menu and was getting spammed with an error saying "Untitled Space Craft Unloaded", I'll paste the log version of it here:

Untitled Space Craft Unloaded

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch.get_CurrentSubtype () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch.GetModuleCost (Single baseCost) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.GetModuleCosts (Single defaultCost) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (.Part PartRef, .ProtoVessel protoVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ProtoVessel..ctor (.Vessel VesselRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.Unload () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

But when I flew back toward the vessel it had failed to unload, I could see it in my targeting pod even when about 30km away, then it disappeared as I got into normal load distance.

I'm not sure if it is this or just a bug with BD Armory, or a bug with B9 since it is mentioned there (but I don't see why it would have anything to do with vessels loading/unloading) but I thought I'd post it here since this was the only thing I've changed about my install and it happened shortly afterwards.

Please tell me if you need the whole log, I'll have to upload a .txt somewhere as it is too big for pastebin and other websites like that.

:)

8 hours ago, BahamutoD said:

@Squiggsy It could be a combination of the three.  Could you post the craft?  I haven't gotten around to playing with B9 again yet, but I'll install it and give it a go.

I realize in hindsight that there is a 4th variable: It was an UbioZur Welded part, but the weldment, craft file and output.log are all here in this zip file http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/oVj8Nh9S/file.html for you :) hope it helps!

When I click spawn vessel, it just states that it is opening the craft browser, but never actually opens up the menu to spawn in another vehicle. I'm running a lot of mods however... would that affect it?

4 hours ago, Jlam98 said:

When I click spawn vessel, it just states that it is opening the craft browser, but never actually opens up the menu to spawn in another vehicle. I'm running a lot of mods however... would that affect it?

Similar thing happened to me, but not with too many mods, I can post a full modlist or try a cleaner install when on my computer

When using vessel mover to move a ship I had, I then spawned in an aircraft, but when switching back to the ship, it had gone from it's position in the water, to falling from the sky at an angle, with all 16 PAC-3 missiles loose from the patriot launcher. From the aircraft's perspective, the ship had been in the water during take off, but once I got around 3 km from it, it suddenly popped into the sky. I can provide a modlist if required.

Note: Ship was spawned naturally, not with vessel mover, so no issue with spawn locator not detecting water.

Potato quality video (KSP only runs on one core) https://goo.gl/eZO8zO

Due to crappy videography skills, it has been proven that the problem can be replicated over and over again.

Edited by Jlam98
Evidence n stuff

6 hours ago, Jlam98 said:

When using vessel mover to move a ship I had, I then spawned in an aircraft, but when switching back to the ship, it had gone from it's position in the water, to falling from the sky at an angle, with all 16 PAC-3 missiles loose from the patriot launcher. From the aircraft's perspective, the ship had been in the water during take off, but once I got around 3 km from it, it suddenly popped into the sky. I can provide a modlist if required.

Note: Ship was spawned naturally, not with vessel mover, so no issue with spawn locator not detecting water.

Potato quality video (KSP only runs on one core) https://goo.gl/eZO8zO

Due to crappy videography skills, it has been proven that the problem can be replicated over and over again.

That's a stock 1.0.5 bug and has been fixed in 1.1.

Not sure if this is just my heavily modded install, my vessels spawn/move about 600m off the ground and then fall at 0.3ms I can't do anything with them while they are falling, except revert, they also seem to be missing fairings and clipped parts, sorry for the dark shot.

IovGKA1.png

Maybe its a problem because I am using KSPRC terrain, the height map might be stuffed

Edited by selfish_meme

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

That's a stock 1.0.5 bug and has been fixed in 1.1.

I am running quite a lot of mods so I wouldn't consider my game to be stock, and 1.1 is only in experimental testing mode as of two days ago???

Just now, Jlam98 said:

I am running quite a lot of mods so I wouldn't consider my game to be stock, and 1.1 is only in experimental testing mode as of two days ago???

What it means is: the bug is a part of KSP 1.0.5. Mods do not have any influence.

I really, really love this mod! I can even place docks measuring a few clicks in every direction with ease, with Hyperedit it was a real problem. I'd have to rotate the whole structure to the angle I wanted, start the simulation and hope not to invoke the kraken.

I have a couple of suggestions if you're interested.

The ability to spawn a kerbal and/or spawn a craft and choose which kerbals are in it.
The ability to erase a craft, craft + debris or just it's debris.
The ability to choose multiple craft or kerbals from the browser.

Small bug but probably no problem once 1.1 has arrived: clicking on the sea initially spawns a craft above the sea floor, then disintegrates. I work around this by clicking on the deck of my ship so the craft spawns above it.

Small bug number two: sometimes a craft just drops out of the air when I click place vessel. Too bad I didn't make a screenshot of my battleship falling on the stern of my cruiser. Both survived with minor damage :D

Spawning vessels on water summons Kraken.
Recipe: Get a boat, put it in water a few kms from shore. Then try to spawn anything close to it. When it's spawned and jumping up and down (glitch) try changing speeds a few times.
EDIT: Apparently the bug is caused by TakeControl mod that allows spawning Kerbals in external command seats.

Edited by sashan

53 minutes ago, sashan said:

Spawning vessels on water summons Kraken.
Recipe: Get a boat, put it in water a few kms from shore. Then try to spawn anything close to it. When it's spawned and jumping up and down (glitch) try changing speeds a few times.
EDIT: Apparently the bug is caused by TakeControl mod that allows spawning Kerbals in external command seats.

I noticed this just recently with the Large Boat Parts mod. I hadn't tried spawning multiple water crafts like that prior. Did you manage this with a craft using all stock parts as well? I assume we both were using mods along with Vessel mover while trying to spawn multiple boats.

1 minute ago, V8jester said:

Did you manage this with a craft using all stock parts as well? I

Yes, the craft is an old towed gun I've been using for some time.
Point is, the bug isn't ocean-related, I've tested it some more - although VesselMover does spawn the craft at seabed instead of surface. It's related to TakeCOntrol mod that allows you to spawn occupied external command seats.