Boosting FPS, even with a low-end computer: Is it possible?

Some of you may have seen me commenting about getting a new computer for KSP. Sadly, I'll probably only get it around December or January, and while I got a couple games to distract me, I'm really feeling the lust to construct bases and space stations with this game. Unfortunately, with my current computer's measly 1.4 GHz, I get as low as 4 FPS whenever I'm in a simple base like this:

8yXBMpG.png

(do note however that there is an unseen rocket which is just like the one with solar panels seen here)

Is there a way to increase my FPS to something bearable even with my horrible CPU? I don't mean increasing it to 60, years of dealing with awful computers made me used to "low" framerates like 18-30. I'm aware of ActiveTextureManagement, but I tried it and it doesn't seem to make much effect; it's more targeted at RAM improvements than FPS improvement, and RAM is not a problem for now.

It sets the maximum amount of game time that can pass between physics steps. If the CPU cannot complete the frame fast enough, the game engine will wait to update, causing slowdowns (this is what the yellow MET timer indicates). Turning up this variable means the engine is less likely to wait to update, but the bigger steps between frames means that some fast events like collisions may be less predictable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.