Show off your awesome KSP Pictures

Capt'n Skunky

11kxw1y.jpg

Interplanetary Vessel Thunderchild docked with Heavy Planetary Lander Tiger Moth, waiting on orbit for Duna transfer window.

If the docking hold this will be an Apollo style 3 man Duna + 3 man Ike landing and return mission

That looks awesome, I've got to try some docking. What is the mod (I should just go check the mods forum)?

There are two docking mods:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/20503-Plugin-Part-0-16-Erkle-Mods-Warp-Capable-Docking-Clamp-v0-4-released/

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/20604-Plugin-Parts-0-16-Orbital-Rendezvous-and-Docking-Assistant/

They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. ORDA has a fantastic docking computer which can actually keep the target ship stable while you approach and has all sorts of handy functions. It can also transfer both fuel and RCS but the docking itself is fickle and pretty fragile. Erkle has very strong docking and one click fuel transfer but no other functionality. I use both on my ships.

Here's a tanker rocket coming to dock with the Duna stack to refuel both ships.

2mytgfr.jpg

33o5ilh.jpg

verHl.png5OgzI.png

I'm back. Did you miss me? Do you even remember me? I think you do. But I am here to stay, whether you like it or not and I will try my best to be awesome.

Good to be back.

Edited by SNapple

Conics Foo

8079438767_87afb86e29_c.jpg

The fact that i am on a collision course with Laythe seems to be missed.

*Insert predictable joke about the injestion or snorting of drugs*

*Or about the rainbow*

*Or "This is what Jeb sees"*

*Or unpredictable joke about Rainbow Dash's feces*

Edited by SNapple

Why not have the outer tanks on radial decouplers staged so that they are used during landing and jettisoned to save weight thus giving more Delta-V for the ascent?

(sorry for the late answer, I was away for a few days)

Well, I considered it, but since I was aiming at reliability rather than efficiency, and built in comfortable error margins for this 1st crewed mission to Duna, I didn't keep them in the final design... They make appear on future versions of the lander, though :)

7SQjg.png

A picture is worth a thousand words. 2 images is worth more than can be described.

But to be fair, the landing legs weren't even long enough.

It was the atmosphere that really screwed me over, though. I had 2 parachutes, 1 for Duna and 1 for Kerbin, but I had to activate them both at the same time.

But I still died. Well, almost died.

EDIT:

nRyZO.jpgWWj8I.jpg
Edited by SNapple