Best Launch Abort ever (HD!)

Kerbal Space Program: Best Launch Abort ever! (HD!)

Things go wrong on liftoff while testing a new HUGE rocket designed for travel to other planets. Instead of making it tens of thousands of kilometers, however, this rocket is barely off the pad when it\'s time to say goodbye to it.

Using my test-pilot instinct (LOL), I was able to fire away from it using a complicated series of problem solving ideas that I had to think of and react to in about one second or die. The Kerbals did make it out of this alive.

Good abort.

Among other things, it shows why having solids on a manned launch is such a potentially dangerous thing. In abort situations, you can\'t throttle them down.

Yeah. Von Braun said no manned vehicle should ever use SRBs for primary propulsion.

Not sure. At the time, I diagnosed it as a sign that the engine was about to blow up. Check out the overheat meter on the left.

I always went off of the fact that flaring usually happens after a lag or freeze in the game. Your overheating was more of a result of inadequate heat radiation. Of course, it\'s only inadequate if the engines explode. If they don\'t, you can overheat to one pixel from the end of the bar without issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.