please tell me i'm not the only one...

ezequielandrush

Don't worry, I do it too, but next time don't use words like "Retard" on the KSP forums, they can be offensive to some. :)

@ezequielandrush, I don't know if you're a retard, but you are definitely the only one. <- this is a tongue-in-cheek-remark.

But I don't find retard any more offensive than dope, wally, dimbo, berk or gump. I mean, it's not like it's an official medical condition. <- this isn't.

@ezequielandrush, I don't know if you're a retard, but you are definitely the only one. <- this is a tongue-in-cheek-remark.

But I don't find retard any more offensive than dope, wally, dimbo, berk or gump. I mean, it's not like it's an official medical condition. <- this isn't.

There are a whole bunch of terms that are not offically medically described conditions but are nonetheless regarded derogatory. Think of the English slang for cigarette, for instance. And yes, as the parent of a mentally challenged child I do find the term offensive.

In my defense, In Argentina (where I live) the term is not offensive at all.

There are a whole bunch of terms that are not offically medically described conditions but are nonetheless regarded derogatory. Think of the English slang for cigarette, for instance. And yes, as the parent of a mentally challenged child I do find the term offensive.

I am sorry Kerbart. Just didn't know that I was being offensive.

Even 400+ hours in I do this all the time:D. Although at this point I've been to the Mun/Minmus so many times I'm often launching interplanetary as early in my career as possible. I never just time warp directly and choose to do some missions (or hit other transfer windows) in the meantime, so I often find out about the missing part when I have no option of reverting. Still, I find it fun to try and work around the missing piece and see if I can perform the mission anyway.

Also hundreds or more hours in, and I'm arriving at Moho (after at least 4 failed attempts and having to send an emergency refuel because I misjudged my capture burn and am stuck in a very eccentric orbit) only to discover I've forgotten to add an antenna and can't do an orbital survey because of it. It's part of the charm.

Been there many times.

KIS wouldn't have save my Jool probe mission when I realised most of the landers lacked antennae, because, well, it was at Jool when I did. I just had to do the parts of the mission I could, and accept the hefty drop in science.

In my defense, In Argentina (where I live) the term is not offensive at all.

It's not here in the UK either. Nor's 'fag' - that's the cigarette-word Kerbart was referencing for non-English people, and has nothing to do with '......' (which means 'bundle of sticks' in English, but for some odd reason is also a US term of derision for a homosexual, and often abbreviated).

I respect your right to be offended Kerbart, but I do question the sense of it. Clearly ezequielandrush used the word to mean 'silly person', and wasn't making any kind of statement about people with mental conditions, least of all your offspring. What's the point in getting your own hackles up, and making him feel ashamed, over something so petty?

Anyway, my worst and most frequent error is launching without parachutes, and not even noticing until I've already begun my re-entry. :blush:

I respect your right to be offended Kerbart, but I do question the sense of it. Clearly ezequielandrush used the word to mean 'silly person', and wasn't making any kind of statement about people with mental conditions, least of all your offspring. What's the point in getting your own hackles up, and making him feel ashamed, over something so petty?

Would it be petty if he said "I feel like a total [ ]" or "I feel like a total [ ]?" or maybe even "I feel like a total [ ]?" (obviously I cannot enter offensive words here but you can fill in the blanks yourself). As those words would not be deemed acceptable, then why would this be? Could I use the N-word and then claim "it's not considered a derogatory term where I'm from?" Would that make it ok for me to use it?

Ezequielandrush's English is better than my Spanish and he should be commended for that, and I don't blame him for posting a subject line like that. But it is offensive to a large group of people. The correct response, in my book, is to do what he didâ€â€change the subject line. The correct response is not saying "meh, it's not offensive in my book" and leave it at that.

Sending an huge base to Minmus and forget antenna, same on my Duna and Ike science lander.

More fun if you miss two critical items: Sending an pack of 8 probe rovers to Jool system to explore the polar regions on all the moons. Two problems first only two of them had probe core.

Second all the wheels was added with 4 way symmetry. so two was pointing sideways :)

It could have been worse, another rover cluster had the seperator the wrong way so it stayed on the rover and blocked the engine, that was only Mun so it was easy to send an new mission.

Another rover, tested on Kerbin and it worked well, Nest test was on Mun so I put it on an rocket and sent it, everything should work well except an tiny issue.

Rover only had solar cell on top, it did not planed to stay upside down and could turn itself.

Now if you launch against the full Mun you have the sun behind you all the time and the solar panels in shadow all the time. If I had flipped the rover and transfer stage everything would be nice.

And no I could not just try again after some orbits as i was on impact trajectory.

Would it be petty if he said "I feel like a total [ ]" or "I feel like a total [ ]?" or maybe even "I feel like a total [ ]?" (obviously I cannot enter offensive words here but you can fill in the blanks yourself). As those words would not be deemed acceptable, then why would this be? Could I use the N-word and then claim "it's not considered a derogatory term where I'm from?" Would that make it ok for me to use it?

Ezequielandrush's English is better than my Spanish and he should be commended for that, and I don't blame him for posting a subject line like that. But it is offensive to a large group of people. The correct response, in my book, is to do what he didâ€â€change the subject line. The correct response is not saying "meh, it's not offensive in my book" and leave it at that.

Sorry Kerbart, but you're losing credibility in my book by dictating 'correct' behaviour. I don't care what words you use to do it, but I do care when you start trying to limit personal freedoms (including freedom of expression) based on your own prejudices.

For what it's worth, I tried putting words in your boxes but 'donkey', 'twit' and 'goofball' didn't seem that bad. Also, I think there's a bit of a difference between multi-generational racial stigma and a word that literally means 'go slower' - besides, it's not the n-word that's offensive (blacks use it to self-reference!!!), it's the non-obvious difference between the person saying it and the person they're referencing with it.

(edit in bold)

Edited by The_Rocketeer

Well... I didn't want to start a fire.

I understand if someone feels offended by certain use of words. It depends on both ends of the conversation. For example. My best friend has a nickname. "El negro" (literal translation of the N word) just because his grandparents came from southern Spain. And there people have slighlty darker skin color and black eyes. We love him and call him like that and he likes it. Because It gives him Identity. I am "the fat one" and it's true. I am fatter than my friends. And I like being called like that. Because they love me and use that terms with love. Besides, we take it with humor.

Saludos

Zeke

This is part of why I have checklists. Writing up checklists, and yes they get printed out and live on a clipboard, is just plain good geeky fun, and adds to the experience. As a bonus it also means I very rarely get out somewhere and discover that "Hey, I don't have X that I need to do what I came out here for".

And I think that it's my duty as human being to understand if someone feels offended by some choice of words. Maybe his feeling is justified by some past actions of others, and people in pain may find difficult to discern where there's an offense or not.

Be good

Zeke

- - - Updated - - -

This is part of why I have checklists. Writing up checklists, and yes they get printed out and live on a clipboard, is just plain good geeky fun, and adds to the experience. As a bonus it also means I very rarely get out somewhere and discover that "Hey, I don't have X that I need to do what I came out here for".

Checklists!

I guess they have those at NASA

It seems taht I just needed a piece of paper an a pen....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.