Timing Launch For Polar Orbital Contract

I've taken a contract to place a satellite in a polar orbit around Kerbin, but I'm having trouble getting the timing of the launch right. What method do you use to work out the best launch window to match a polar orbit? I know you need to account for the planets rotation pushing your orbit Eastwards, but I'm having trouble working out how to adjust the map view so I can see when KSC is under the target orbit.

Any tips gratefully received.

Edited by Clipperride

This works well:

1. Go to map view

2. Double-click on Kerbin so that the map is focused on the planet itself, rather than on your ship

3. Zoom out enough that you can see the target orbit

4. Rotate the map view until you're looking at the target orbit edge-on (i.e. when it collapses down to a vertical line across the screen that passes through Kerbin's center, instead of a long oval)

5. Time warp until your ship is located right on that line (in front of Kerbin or behind, either one works)

6. Your ship is now directly under the target orbit. Launch!

Yeah, launch when under the target orbit. The planet's rotation does affect your heading - to launch into a 90 degree inclination you actually need to aim slightly west of north during the ascent. But it doesn't affect the timing much.

Two more tips:

1. If you need to make a plane change to match your target orbit, do it when you are as far from Kerbin as possible to minimize the required deltaV. In other words, raise your periapsis out to the ascending/descending node of the target orbit, and do a combined maneuver to raise your apoapsis and match planes at the same time.

2. Double check the direction of the target orbit before you launch, it's easy (for me, at least) to launch in the exact opposite direction you need to go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.