Abandoned Apollo backup idea

Jesus KerBeard

Thinking about the upcoming EVAs and all the new ways of attempting to wipe the smirk off Jeb\'s face they entail, I\'ve remembered a backup idea for lunar surface launch NASA once were considering. It essentially amounted to a lawn chair with a rocket strapped to it, it didn\'t even have a computer or it\'s own life support systems. The idea was that it could be used by the astronauts to rendevous with the CM if the ascent engine failed.

Something like this should be possible next update between mechjeb and probodobodyne, and it\'s making me want to read about it again but I can\'t remember the name of it or find the Cracked article I read about it in. Does anyone know what I\'m talking about and/or where to find info on it?

In Perigee, Personal Rescue Enclosures were used to transfer the passengers and two of the three crew members from Austral Clipper to the International Space Station. And since PREs aren\'t worth it, they barely got checked for anything above the most basic wear.

Which results in a claustrophic media tycoon tearing his. Hilarity ensues.

This is irrelevent to real life, but I thought I would mention it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.