How Does KSP Define a 7 Kerbal Base?

I've got a contract to land a base on Minmus capable of supporting at least 7 Kerbals. Does that mean:

I) The part left on Minmus has to have space for 7?

Or

II) The lander including base has to support 7?

In other words, can I land a Mk1-2 command pod -> ascent stage -> decoupler -> hitchhiker storage container -> landing stage (=7 crew slots). Then, when the contract completes, stage, dumping the hitchhiker can, and fly the top part home again - bringing back a stranded Kerbal and some nice science?

Edited by Clipperride
Answered

7 Kerbals at any moment in time in any cockpit, crew cabin, or science lab. What happens after the contract complete is irrelevant.

Actually, it's space for 7 kerbals. The ship doesn't actually have to have any kerbals in it. An empty ship with a Mk1-2 command pod, hitchhiker, and a probe core would do it.

Thanks for the prompt answers. As ever, the truth IS out there! ;). I just wanted to make sure that I'd got it right before building, testing, launching & landing.

FancyMouse - I'm considering the Mk1-2 pod as I want to take Val for the XP, a tourist to boost profitability and have space to rescue a stranded Kerbal for yet more cash and to increase my Kerbalnaut roster.

One additional question - If you've done a similar contract (land a base for 7 with power generation and transmitter) what sort of launch cost did you did you bring the mission in for? That'll give me some measure of how my design is doing. Tech wise I have propellant tanks up to the large orange one and I've unlocked the Mainsail & Poodle engines.

Note that you can test out certain aspects of your contract (like physical requirements of your ship) without ever launching the ship. Some things even check off in the VAB for you while building. If you're curious, just send the thing to the launchpad and see if the contract likes it.

Note this can be tricky with full ships and probes that need to "generate electricity" so you should always test JUST the thing you'll be leaving at the location to complete the contract. Once you know it's good, THEN build the delivery vehicle.

You have to match all criteria at the same time for the contract to complete, so if it says "support 7 kerbals" and "landed in minmus" then it has to support 7 kerbals when landed in minmus (and all the other criteria, including the usual "be stable for 10 seconds") and the contract will complete.

What you do after the contract is completed does not matter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.