Engine fairings should match the decoupler size, not the engine size

The whole purpose of fairings is to shield the engine, if the engine isn't shielded by the stack then the fairing won't help.

Actually, the whole purpose of engine fairings is to connect the lower stage to the upper stage since engines themselves make poor structural parts. If people want to have a bulge halfway along their rocket that connects two 1.25m stacks around a 2.5m engine, why stop them?

Actually, the whole purpose of engine fairings is to connect the lower stage to the upper stage since engines themselves make poor structural parts.

That's not how the game works. The attachment nodes will work regardless of the fairing. The engine fairings are purely visual, I'm not even certain they do any aerodynamics but I know they don't change the rigidity of the node.

If people want to have a bulge halfway along their rocket that connects two 1.25m stacks around a 2.5m engine, why stop them?

Again, no one is arguing that point and that is not the topic of this thread. It is a straw man.

That's not how the game works. The attachment nodes will work regardless of the fairing. The engine fairings are purely visual, I'm not even certain they do any aerodynamics but I know they don't change the rigidity of the node.

Again, no one is arguing that point and that is not the topic of this thread. It is a straw man.

You did. Sorry but if "clipping" occurs I consider that a design is deemed "impossible and may cause bugs in the physics engine".

You did. Sorry but if "clipping" occurs I consider that a design is deemed "impossible and may cause bugs in the physics engine".

What do you mean clipping? I don't know how else to say it, this topic is not about changing the way parts stack. It is about putting on fairings that fit the stack.

Edited by Alshain

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I guess thise thread can be closed as there is a solution with

NECROPOSTING! Also, in first KSP DLC there is also new engine attachment points with configurable fairing length and variable engine attachment points.

On 10/28/2015 at 12:57 PM, Claw said:

Well, I'd say it needs to be the maximum of the decoupler or the engine, because what happens if you put a smaller decoupler under the engine (or other part). But that rule doesn't work when hooking decouplers to something like a quad coupler.

Also, if it's the size of the decoupler, that still doesn't work for the case where the decoupler is bigger then the bottom of that fuel tank too. Then the fairing is open on top.

I think there are a lot of strange combinations with these, which would also lead to unusual scenarios if the fairing is just set to the size of the decoupler. Not sure what's ideal here...

Cheers,

-Claw

If the same size- use current fairing settings

If smaller, exclude fairing

If larger, create conic fairing connecting the fairs. 

If this doesn't suit the player, the existing fairing ON/OFF setting will do fine. 

Oh god I realized how old this is. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.