Remove engine fairings altogether, add optional fairings to decouplers.

Now that we have proper aerodynamic fairings the older automatic engine fairings that so many engines have should be removed. In their stead, allow decouplers/separators to use the fairing system to build interstages as the user desires. Make these interstage fairings entirely optional.

E: Also, interstage fairings shouldn't blow apart when staging, they should remain as a coherent object, much like how engine fairings work now.

I'm in favor of that, you would pair a fairing with a decoupler in most cases anyway (I can see no situation where a leftover fairing base is useful).

The easiest solution is just to make the fairing bases act as decouplers, so they can be staged as decouplers when the user wants to.

Nice idea - I support it. 2.5m fuel tank -> 1.25m engine -> 2.5m decoupler. Build the fairing off the decoupler with the ModuleProceduralFairing PartModule and give it the exact shape required. I feel like making a quick photoshop of this...

- - - Updated - - -

The easiest solution is just to make the fairing bases act as decouplers

.. Or that, yeah.

I think quite a few of us has made the same argument for the autofairings on engines. The autofairings are a placeholder for a more permanent solution. I've posted about this before...

In my opinion, the stack separator and decouplers should use the new fairing system; and completely replace the old autofairings for engines. Both should be able to make a cheaper version of a cargo bay, for aero occlusion. The stack separator should be cheaper, and create its own uneditable autofairing to the next comparable sized part; if none found within a few hops of its attachment point, it should fallback to a smaller size cone interstage.

The decoupler editable autofairings would be distinct from the fairing bases, due to the fact that they are only meant to enclose interstage parts. Fairing bases should be more of a "enclose oversized parts in an aero shield" part (which can also functionally be an interstage.)

IMO; stack seperators/decouplers should be able to create an editable fairing up to their diameter. Fairing bases should be able to make oversized fairings for their size.

Edited by KrazyKrl

IMO; stack seperators/decouplers should be able to fairing up to their diameter. Fairing bases should be able to make oversized fairings for their size.
Why limit one and not the other? There's no sense in limiting a decoupler fairing to its diameter.

I'd also be more than happy to see fairing bases as a decoupler, with a proper collider so we can attach struts to them.

Why limit one and not the other? There's no sense in limiting a decoupler fairing to its diameter.

I'd also be more than happy to see fairing bases as a decoupler, with a proper collider so we can attach struts to them.

Yes on the strutable fairings.

But as for the size restriction, why ever use the fairing base; if the decouplers do the same thing (and can also jettison the base after the fairing is ejected.)

I'm proposing the stack decouplers/seperators are replacements for interstages. If you want a larger fairing, IMO use a fairing base. This would give both parts a reason to exist.

This would give both parts a reason to exist.
Why not distinguish them by allowing one to close at the top (fairing base) and one to not close at the top (interstage) thus clearly defining the part in terms of its role rather than placing some arbitrary restriction that makes no sense?

Sadly I can't give you more rep for this thread or for ^this post :(

The current fairing system is fiddly especially when making an interstage. auto fairings are slap on and go. Also how would all this work with separators? only one fairing in one direction?

finally I agree with seperate decouple-less fairing bases they may be needed for separators to put a fairing around what's under them and also because not all payloads you attach to a fairing base you necessarily want to decouple at the same time as you jettison fairings.

Now that we have proper aerodynamic fairings the older automatic engine fairings that so many engines have should be removed. In their stead, allow decouplers/separators to use the fairing system to build interstages as the user desires. Make these interstage fairings entirely optional.

E: Also, interstage fairings shouldn't blow apart when staging, they should remain as a coherent object, much like how engine fairings work now.

Truss fairings?

Not easy to be achieved procedurally.

I support this thead.

The only thing is the fairings have more mass, do not protect against the atmosphere in any way, and do not give any support (which the last two are just things that I think everyone hate about fairings in general), Which means using fairings instead of inter-stages just adds mass and "looks good".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.