recreating the move 'Gravity' in Kerbal Space Program

Ateballgaming

Is there any way to spawn debris next to a shuttle to mess it up like in gravity? theres a ksp video recreating gravity, and the debris pretty much appears out of no where to hit their ship, just wondering if something like that could be possible in ksp.

And if anyone wondering the video is by Nassualt

You really cant. That movie was epically fail in terms of physics and orbital mechanics. Almost every aspect of the entire film was outright lunacy.

I second this. That movie was just too much sci-fi to be recreated. The Nassault video you saw was also sci-fi and camera trickery.

It can be recreated, though the only way to do it reliably is via Hyperedit. Put the debris bomb in a retrograde orbit, put your shuttle in a prograde orbit at the exact same height and inclination. Provided the debris is compacted together enough (I recommend making the decouple force as low as possible) it'll collide with your shuttle.

Presumably. I'm just guessing that would do it because thats the only way such a debris field would actually work in the way it does in the movie. If the debris field was in a prograde orbit relative to the shuttle, ISS, etc then it could only have collided once with may be a couple bits flying by on the next orbit (as it would then be an elliptical orbit. It would never get to the shuttle if it was still circular as the movie portrays). And thats if the debris field gets created in such a way that closest approach hits zero.

Not my image, but...

http://i.imgur.com/7gZemsU.gif

Damn!! thats really cool

- - - Updated - - -

You really cant. That movie was epically fail in terms of physics and orbital mechanics. Almost every aspect of the entire film was outright lunacy.

I actually disagree, the movie got really boring after clooney left the scene but the absolute destruction of the shuttle and everything else in the beginning was pretty cool

my favourite part was when the first piece of debris (The big ass satellite) flies by them and they all realize that its all about to go south.

Damn!! thats really cool

- - - Updated - - -

I actually disagree, the movie got really boring after clooney left the scene but the absolute destruction of the shuttle and everything else in the beginning was pretty cool

my favourite part was when the first piece of debris (The big ass satellite) flies by them and they all realize that its all about to go south.

Ummm... how does a movie being exciting and "cool" make it any less fake and outright failure in terms of orbital mechanics.

The question is, how to recreate the moment where Clooney Kerman loses his grip on Sandra Kerman and flies off in defiance of physics... :sticktongue:

The only way that scene could make sense, would be if they were in low orbit around a neutron star or something, and the tidal forces were that strong, but if you're orbiting a neutron star you've got a whole plethora of other problems.

Gravity suffers from the usual 'Hollywood doesn't understand physics' problem present in practically every movie ever, but the story of Gravity actually kinda works if u mentally redraw the Hollysics scenes in ways that would have been physically possible and produced the same plot results. Apart from the debris-cloud recurrence interval (really, wt...h Sony?), there's nothing else I can think of that couldn't be recreated in a 'that could have worked' way in KSP.

Unlike Interstellar. That movie was a pile of dogdirts. A pile of fresh, warm, multi-coloured dogdirts, with a little US flag in it. Go America!

The Martian had some major nonsense too. Intercept and dock with a supply pod that's not capable of Mars intercept, after/during your Earth flyby burn for a Mars return trajectory, without losing velocity? Ugh...

Seriously, of all the recent near-future sci-fi movies, Gravity is probably the least offensive to the space-physics-enlightened.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

The Martian had some major nonsense too. Intercept and dock with a supply pod that's not capable of Mars intercept, after/during your Earth flyby burn for a Mars return trajectory, without losing velocity? Ugh...

Seriously, of all the recent near-future sci-fi movies, Gravity is probably the least offensive to the space-physics-enlightened.

All the orbital mechanics stuff in The Martian (book. Still haven't seen the movie) was solid, including everything the mothership did to get back to Mars from its Earthbound trajectory. I don't remember the particulars of the supply pod but IIRC thought it was capable of getting up to the speed of the mothership, and the mothership then burned to get to Mars. And the mothership was not doing Oberth maneuvers, but burning for extended periods with efficient but very low thrust.

Gravity had a lot more wrong with it than the recurring debris field. It treated all the things in space like they were stationary on a map, and you could just thrust toward them to get there. Anybody who's tried a rendezvous in KSP knows that ain't the case when you're more than just a few scant kilometers apart.

Actually, the supply pod did have the capability of a Mars intercept (The booster for the Taiyang Shen from the Chinese) , the problem was they had less than a month to put the pod together and the only option was to crash land the pod on Mars at about 300 m/s in which the supplies had a low chance of surviving.

All the orbital mechanics stuff in The Martian (book. Still haven't seen the movie) was solid, including everything the mothership did to get back to Mars from its Earthbound trajectory.

I've heard this elsewhere, and see no reason to doubt it, though I haven't read the book. I don't want to spoil the movie, but from the way the movie presented it, the sequence of events would have resulted in impossible velocities for a rendezvous and/or rendered the need for doing so completely redundant. Sounds like the book might not have had Hollywood physics - go literature!

Gravity had a lot more wrong with it than the recurring debris field. It treated all the things in space like they were stationary on a map, and you could just thrust toward them to get there. Anybody who's tried a rendezvous in KSP knows that ain't the case when you're more than just a few scant kilometers apart.

I know what you mean, but in principle there's no fundamental issue with making a rendezvous using EVA thrusters only as long as you thrust in the right direction. The movie got the direction wrong, but not the situational reasoning.

Actually, the supply pod did have the capability of a Mars intercept (The booster for the Taiyang Shen from the Chinese) , the problem was they had less than a month to put the pod together and the only option was to crash land the pod on Mars at about 300 m/s in which the supplies had a low chance of surviving.

*SPOILERS WARNING* The issue was one of time. To rendezvous with a ship on it's way to somewhere in a given time costs exactly the same (or more actually) as going there yourself in the same amount of time. The reasoning was that for the mothership to make the return to Mars they would need to make their acceleration burn (instead of a deceleration burn) BEFORE reaching Earth (described in dialog), so the rendezvous with the pod would require the pod to accelerate to Mars insertion velocity anyway!

Edited by The_Rocketeer