deleted

JacksRage

If/when it is released for PS4 I will be buying it even though I already have it on PC. My PC is showing its age and I don't want to buy a new one for one game, plus I don't use it much anymore. Options are always good. I do hope there is a physical disc, maybe even a CE, that would be sweet.

I don't see a problem with converting the controls over to a console format.

In my experience the only problem with PC to console ports is the delay between patches, consoles often getting left behind as newer and newer versions come out, something I found frustrating with Skyrim for example.

That aside, the more the merrier!

• 1 month later...
On 06/11/2015 at 9:39 PM, jackboy900 said:

Left-click = RT

Right-Click = LT

Shift = RB

Ctrl = LB

Camera = RS

Movement = LS

A/X = Throttle to full

B/(whatever the PS4 version is) = Throttle to 0

Y/(PS4) = VAB-Symmetry/Flight IVA

X = Switch Views/switch symttrey

And thats just a rough subset of what could be done using pure PC-Console porting with no game chages and 5mins of thought as well as no D-Pad at all and ignoring trackpads

Then you need; [ ] , . \ v b alt caps q e r t f g u h n m various-f-keys 0-9 backspace space
There are less keys not in use than there are in use which is why I've never been sold on the idea of porting to console. I'm intrigued how they will manage it and what will be sacrificed to make it work. 

• 3 weeks later...

i've been playing kerbal space with all the functions i need for flight mapped to my logitech wingman extreme 3d pro, which has roughly the same number of buttons/analogue controls the ps4 controller has (16 useable buttons, 2 of which can be used as analogue triggers, 2 analogue control sticks, and a trackpad that takes at least directional swipes) has. for more functions, some sort of selectors could be made, like in some games, where e.g. holding down a shoulder button pops up a few options/button mappings that can be selected with the analogue stick). construction could be a bit trickier, but i don't see, why it couldn't be done without sacrificing too much.

i'm looking forward to playing kerbal on my tv lying on my couch and i won't mind if they make some sacrifices to make that work. i don't use any mods, so that's something i won't miss. i hope there's some release-date news soon. i'd rather like know, that they won't make it until the end of March or April at the latest ("early 2016") than being a bit disappointed, when they don't. 

Edited by unami

On 13.1.2016 at 2:15 AM, katateochi said:

Then you need; [ ] , . \ v b alt caps q e r t f g u h n m various-f-keys 0-9 backspace space
There are less keys not in use than there are in use which is why I've never been sold on the idea of porting to console. I'm intrigued how they will manage it and what will be sacrificed to make it work. 

You don't need all keys, my guess is that you will have various views, normal, docking, rover if relevant, you will also need an inspect mode who give an arrow to do stuff like checking fuel left in tanks, turning engines on and off and stuff like that. 

8 hours ago, Majorjim said:

The only thing I am interested in is what are they going to do about part counts?? Slow-down on a console is a BIG no no.

There MUST be some kind of part count limit in place. Have @SQUAD said anything about this at all?

I wonder how a part count limit would work. It is easy enough to put a limit on parts per craft, but what about part count in the same scene such as when you go to dock with a station. They can't just chop bits off. I suppose there may be some kind of wielding system where by parts are merged into one until focused on or put under some force. 

Or SQUAD could have just optimized the game beyond belief.

Just now, worir4 said:

I wonder how a part count limit would work. It is easy enough to put a limit on parts per craft, but what about part count in the same scene such as when you go to dock with a station. They can't just chop bits off. I suppose there may be some kind of wielding system where by parts are merged into one until focused on or put under some force. 

Or SQUAD could have just optimized the game beyond belief.

There is a disparity that enough is clear. Console games cannot have slow down. I can only imagine that have scaled the physics massively for the consoles. Think of our max delta time but on steroids. I have seen a 2000 part craft running at 60FPS with cheat engine, it just deactivates the physics.

40 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

There is a disparity that enough is clear. Console games cannot have slow down. I can only imagine that have scaled the physics massively for the consoles. Think of our max delta time but on steroids. I have seen a 2000 part craft running at 60FPS with cheat engine, it just deactivates the physics.

So basically slo motion game play?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.