Stock ways to spin things.

Well i am still working on miniaturizing my walker (found in signature) but I was wondering if there are any other ways of spinning something in stock KSP

I currently know two ways,

A turboprop

Using the Narrow-Band scanner

Any ideas people?, turboprops are just too large and fuel inefficient, and the Narrow-Band scanner provides no torqe

Not all hope is lost with the narrow-band scanners. I just tried using them in combination with a gear, and it is actually possible to get a lot of power out of them. I quickly made a tractor/traction engine powered by this method and it seems to be very reliable. The scanners never glitch through the teeth of the cog, and the mechanism never falls apart.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Wow! very cool dude, could i by any change have a download for that?

Thanks! Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzxuztwni671qlp/NB%20Scanner%20Tractor.craft?dl=0

The vehicle is very slow, but it has a lot of torque as I've said in my post above. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to make it go faster.

Edited by Rthsom

OK, so Baha's adjustable landing gear works as static drive units - so Unity wheels *can* provide torque to things other than the ground - just no luck with rover wheels so far. This sort of thing works fine so it might just be a case of friction issues - this obviously isn't quite so useful as the wheels attached to the static part.

Edited by Van Disaster

You can also build a simple turbine using a rocket engine and something round with winglets serving as turbine blades.Or, just mount rocket engines on the rotating part in the tangential direction. This results in very spectacular failures :DI think there might even be a practical aspect in it, because I think it should be possible to make a forklift using a rocket engine, and adjust the height by varying the thrust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.