Does the Kerbal Space Program Demo allow plugins?

Doctor Smith

Hello!

A fellow I am acquainted with in a different forum is working on constructing a mod that makes use of a different development platform then the Arduino. I'll spare everyone the details about that one, but it inspired me to download the demo after going to the main site and requesting the link to be sent to me.:huh:

So... Does that demo allow plugins such as the one written for the Arduino to communicate with the regular full feature KSP system? If it helps I downloaded the one for Windows and its installed on the system that helped me register today.:)

As it happens so far I'm impressed and just might spend the money to obtain the full feature one and would then facilitate sending our hosts to their satellite or even another planet or three in their solar system.:cool:;)

-----

Doctor Smith

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: It can't be excluded that modifications may be created so to allow them to work with the KSP Demo (but, would be a violation of the terms of use). The KSP loader that fetches all dll plugins when KSP is started, doesn't work with the Demo; therefore none of the existing plugins can be run with it.

You can get a moddable KSP demo; get KSP 0.13.3 (which is free and legal to download if you can find it) and find mods that are compatible only with that version. However, that will only be part mods and not plugins and it will not be an accurate rendition of what KSP is like today.

In my opinion it (and the 0.18.3 demo) is better than the current demo which is too short on too underpowered parts. Really the new 1.0Demo is kind of horrible. It is not a good demo. The rest of the game is great. Get the full game as soon as possible.

You can get a moddable KSP demo; get KSP 0.13.3 (which is free and legal to download if you can find it) and find mods that are compatible only with that version. However, that will only be part mods and not plugins and it will not be an accurate rendition of what KSP is like today.

In my opinion it (and the 0.18.3 demo) is better than the current demo which is too short on too underpowered parts. Really the new 1.0Demo is kind of horrible. It is not a good demo. The rest of the game is great. Get the full game as soon as possible.

Indeed? This demo claims to be "Version 0.90.0 Beta" and there's a currently empty folder named plugins. I was thinking of the plugins described in this rather long thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66393-Hardware-Plugin-Arduino-based-physical-display-serial-port-io-tutorial-%2806-Jun%29

I had long known about KSP and was admittedly some what interested in it. The fellow on that other forum has an idea as I said before to do the same as the one listed there. He's of course having problems with the code for that platform to translate it into the chosen platform.

For software these days I need to think deep when it comes to making those decisions for buying the full feature one.

And incidentally the only mods I'm interested in is that of using the available ship parts to construct one to test that plugin and then see what it does. :confused:

The demo copyright message (version 0.90.0 Beta) is incorrect - the mechanics are based on 1.0, including errors versus the current version 1.0.4.

By design the demo versions - any of them - do not allow plugins/mods and as been mentioned any attempt to re-program them is against the licence agreement.

That the 0.13.3 demo version might be moddable is a bit of a joke, in that it's so old it's nothing like the current version(s) of the program.

Quite why GregroxMun thinks the parts in the current demo are underpowered I don't understand though, since it's quite possible (as I have shown in another thread) to build a Mun and Minmus return-trip manned lander and at least both of those moons are represented. In earlier versions there is only one moon, or none. In any case - get the full game; it's definitely worth it.

ETA for below: Yes, the range I could criticise. It seems a good demo of what's possible to me, but I agree it's not a good demo of what's available. I'd hate the job of deciding how much to give away in the demo versus retaining for the paid version though. Demos are pretty much "damned if you do, damned if you don't", unfortunately.

ANOTHER EDIT: Please see signature, which I am now changing to reflect my interest in demo-version questions.

Edited by Pecan

Not underpowered as such, but I feel the current demo does have a poor range of parts. Squad let the full game's tech tree dictate the demo's part selection, and it doesn't show the game in a good light to have to stack up tons of tiny tanks and have poor control because no engines gimbal.

I think it's also rigged to not accept any parts other than the stock ones.

It would make sense, if it uses 1.04 mechanics you could just supplement with moded parts to get an full game.

Now it might be posible to cheat putting the moded parts in the squad folder or something.

I also guess dll plugins does not work so only part mods.

Anyway the demo is just so people can see if they like the game or not, its not an expensive game after all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.