Pterion - Stock Minmus/Duna/Laythe*-capable SSTO flying wing.

Zwolff

I just finished of three different missions with my most capable SSTO ever built post 1.0. As it seems to be in fashion to share SSTOs in the Spacecraft Exhange lately, I thought I'd join in.

4VIIWyJ.png

Some other well designed SSTOs on this forum inspired me to improve my own designs. It is possible to get slightly over 2400m/s ∆v left when in a 73km orbit around Kerbin, but most times I reach somewhere around 2300-2350m/s. This is enough to get you to quite a lot of places, and if you have a system of refueling stations you might even get back to Kerbin again.

The craft, which is piloted remotely using a probe core, can carry 4 non pilot trained kerbals and has a service bay that can be closed during atmospheric flight, containing radiators, solar panels, batteries, a monopropellant tank and a docking port.

Update: Get the craft file here.

GaMdulV.png

The first mission was to Minmus. With plenty of fuel to spare, it is no problem to fly to Minmus and back, even if you don't do a perfect ascent from Kerbin. The Pterion lacks any landing struts for vertical landings, but it worked well to balance on the wing tips and then gently falling down to the landing gear. The only thing to watch out for is the aerobreaking on the return trip. The large wings and RCS modules overheat easily, so I had to break several times before going in for landing.

TLpEpP7.png

The second mission was to Duna. Actually it was to Laythe, but I got an accidental gravity assist from the Mun and was flung into a solar orbit, so I decided to go to Duna instead. I ended up with around 700 m/s left on the surface of Duna, so I could not get back to orbit, but if I would plan a mission to Duna directly it would probably be possible to do it more efficient leaving more fuel for the ascent. As the Pterion has a lot of lift, it is possible to do a quite gentle gliding landing on Duna touching down at around 70 m/s, but the place I landed on was quite hilly so quite a few loads and saves were required.

pt9WUXd.png

The third mission was a retry to go to Laythe. It went well as far as I actually got there with the crew compartments, engine and some fuel intact, but most of the space plane overheated during aerobreaking over Laythe. The solar panels were destroyed, so the craft now orbits powerless in orbit around Laythe. Good thing I sent it there uncrewed, so I don't need to send any rescue mission.

When entering the Jool system, I did do a breaking gravity assist on Tylo and two more on Laythe before aerobreaking, but I did not have the patients to try more things to slow down enough to survive intact. I would think it could be done with some fancy flying and gravity assists, but for now only the craziest of kerbals would consider this a Laythe-capable SSTO.

A gallery with some extra pictures can be found below.

Edited by Zwolff

That is a very nice looking SSTO : O Capable too! There are only two tanks I can see though, where is the 2400m/s coming from? Just eyeballing it, it doesn't seem as if you could squeeze that much DV out of those two tanks.

Wing tanks?

Wing tanks?

Lots of wing tanks. Which is the really nice in a long-range SSTO! They are "free" fuel tanks that actually save you fuel on the atmospheric ascent.

BTW, don't think I didn't spot the reference, Zwolff. Always glad to inspire! This one is very good-looking.

Rune. Well done!

Is there, perchance, a download of this beauty?

I've tied to recreate her from the images and.... been less than successful... :blush:

There is one now. Get the craft file here. It might still have a Mechjeb controller on, but from what I understand it KSP just removes it if you dont have the mod installed. If not then tell me, and I will remove it and upload a new craft file.

Action groups

1: Toggle rapiers on/off

2: Toggle rapiers jet/rocket

3: Toggle NERV on/off

4: Bay doors

5: Solar panels and radiators

Next project will be to make a scale up version to fit ISRU gear onboard, to make a truly long range SSTO.

Lots of wing tanks. Which is the really nice in a long-range SSTO! They are "free" fuel tanks that actually save you fuel on the atmospheric ascent.

BTW, don't think I didn't spot the reference, Zwolff. Always glad to inspire! This one is very good-looking.

Rune. Well done!

Ahhh okay, thanks.

Yay! :D

Isn't there a saying? "Bigger is always better" ?

Well, I tend to agree, but my computer have a different opinion as the ships get larger.

Here is my current experiments working from Zwolff's inspiration.

http://s11.postimg.org/ww2zcdt33/2015_11_04_00003.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/rf4z46agt/2015_11_04_00005.jpg

Still a work in progress... And I wish I could clear things out of the forward cargo bay... but.. she FLIES! :D

Much cheers, good will and thanks for the wonderful inspiration Zwolff!

Nice one. I like the cockpit design. The cargo bays are a bit more tricky to do when doing a stealth bomber-style flying wing as the smooth lines are easier to do with the wings slightly clipped into the fuselage, which is why I left out a cargo bay all together for the Pterion.

hey man, i will test your craft :D

i have one question: what is the mod wich changes resources bar (second image)?

thx twice

It is the Alternate resource panel mod. Get it here.

Well, I tend to agree, but my computer have a different opinion as the ships get larger.

Truth in that. I miss some of the earlier version's 'forgiveness' when it came to part count... :(

Nice one. I like the cockpit design. The cargo bays are a bit more tricky to do when doing a stealth bomber-style flying wing as the smooth lines are easier to do with the wings slightly clipped into the fuselage, which is why I left out a cargo bay all together for the Pterion.

The cockpit? Is simple to add. Take a tiny cubic strut and place single on the forward fuselage. Take the Mk 1 cockpit and stick it facing 'up'. Use the tweak tool' (What's the proper name for those adjusting things top left corner of the SPH/VAB screen?) and rotate it back down to the horizontal. Stick something to smooth out the rear ((Nose cone etc) and then sink it down till you like the look. :)

For 'level' nav ball flight I've clipped a ball probe core into the nose. I just select "Control from here' on what shows around the edges of the nose cone and she's flying straight and level.

I have a mod that gives extra size variants with fuel tanks. Extra long 2.5's. Really tiny things. Extra Xenon tanks. Can't remember mod atm.

Ship's currently not that responsive to her aerodynamic surfaces... But then it's meant to sled in a straight line into orbit, right?

Again, than you for your inspiration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.