[1.3] Rusty Star Rockets v1.8 [20.7.2017]

GagaX

HELP!!! I downloaded the recent update and now my career is messed up. Parts I had before and were relying on are now locked but they show up in the tech tree. Most of my vessels are now locked and I'm stuck. If it was just for me I'd start over but I have a series on youtube doing a career and I'm 4 episodes in, 9 years game time. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Example photos: http://imgur.com/a/iLTYN

My RSR Career on youtube is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/graydragon70/videos

Hey, sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

We will fix this, don't worry.

Your career is broken because I redistributed parts on the tech tree. Some parts were to low on tech tree so i moved them up.

That is why they are locked for you now, they are on the tech nodes you did not unlock yet. What you want to do is move them back down. And this is how you are gonna do it:

Each part has a line in .cfg file with a line

TechRequired = something

That line determines tech tree node for that part.

So, to unlock part, change that line to

TechRequired = start

For example, RSR Capsule Size2 is located in Gamedata/RustyStarRockets/Command/Rusty_Size2_CP

Open the RustyCapsuleS2.cfg file and replace "TechRequired = commandModules" with "TechRequired = start".

Ok, capsule is unlocked but now all previous craft files are messed up. This is what happens when I try to load a build from before the update. http://imgur.com/xOovQI2 

I can build and save new craft and they load ok, so I can rebuild what I was using. Thankfully I saved the launcher as a subassembly, and that works, so I just need to remake the lander and refueler. Thank you for your quick response and explicit directions. Also thank you for making such a wonderful mod.

• 2 weeks later...

jutzITi.png

RSR v1.4 is up!

- new parts:
hitchhiker container
size 2 vacuum engine
new lab
some fuel tanks
new submarine style command pod

- improved some textures

- various tweaks

More info and download link in first post.

56 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Must..resist...adding moar parts.... :sticktongue: These look fantastic- is there enough here to attempt career mode using only parts from this mod?

GagaX, Brilliant Sir, Bloody Brilliant!

I'm actually 5 episodes in on a RSR Career and have other videos with RSR Parts.

Ep1-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0V7hCOhX4

Ep2-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79QbBvNxOnI

Ep3-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcBIMcZiF4

Ep4-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXaNVg3apk

Ep5-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXaNVg3apk

Kinda cool RSR VTOL video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=037YL471N38

• 3 weeks later...

gOCazdw.png?1

Greetings,

v1.5 is up!

what's new:

- improved textures

- various tweaks

- new parts: 

- size 0 tanks and decoupler

- very small command pod

- large liquid fuel tank

- turbojet engine

- inline cockpit             

- hypersonic air intake

That's probably it, maybe I forgot something, but oh well...

Enjoy!

Wow, your flying pig is amazing! I knew those spherical tanks will be good for something.

Imagine a fleet of your flying pigs invading Earth. I hope Roland Emmerich is reading this.

Guess I'll have to make a couple of huge spherical tanks for 'Mother Pig'.

17 hours ago, GagaX said:

Wow, your flying pig is amazing! I knew those spherical tanks will be good for something.

Imagine a fleet of your flying pigs invading Earth. I hope Roland Emmerich is reading this.

Guess I'll have to make a couple of huge spherical tanks for 'Mother Pig'.

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Next project, remake my rocket pig with your mod and go to the Mun or Minmus. Then I arm them with BD Armory.

Would it be possible to integrate tweakscale into your mod? Also a large cargo bay? Not sure if you added one yet. Imagine a Mother Pig dropping a bunch of little piglet bombs... Picture WWII carpet bombing but with piggies. LMAO

Edited by greydragon70

1 hour ago, greydragon70 said:

Would it be possible to integrate tweakscale into your mod?

Maybe I'll do it in the next update. In the meantime just add this line  to the .cfg of the part you want to scale:

MODULE
{
    name = TweakScale
    type = free

}

1 minute ago, GagaX said:

Maybe I'll do it in the next update. In the meantime just add this line  to the .cfg of the part you want to scale:

MODULE
{
    name = TweakScale
    type = free

}

Thanks. I still have to download your latest update so I'll see what I have to work with before trying that.

You know, this is something a kerbal would come up with after visiting a scrapyard/dumpster diving.

GARBAGE SPACE PROGRAM, SIGN UP TODAY! WE GO TO THE MUN NEXT WEEK! NO TETANUS FROM ROCKET PARTS IF YOU GET INJURED!

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, CaptKordite said:

With the death of Kerbal Stuff, is there a way to get this mod without downloading their 66 Gig torrent? I don't have that much free disk space?

I'm trying to upload it on Spacedock.info, but it stops uploading before finished. Had the same issue with KerbalStuff, so I'll keep trying.

I'm working on a new update, so here is a little preview, if anyone is interested.

I've been shifting focus from solar panels to landing legs and other useful stuff, but finally decided to make a set of almost completely useless parts.

The next update will be called "Let there be light", and it's main feature will be, you guessed it, lights. 

Well, not so much lights as emissive textures. The parts that i'm working on will not have light object on them, so they will not cast light on nearby objects or themselves. They'll just glow in dark. 

Here are some examples (work in progress):

e6rKp2q.png?1o0ozhGa.png?1

The only practical use for these parts that i can think of is easier approach and docking on dark sides of planets, but practicality was never my thing. I just want my spacecraft to look cool. And glow in dark.

I think I'll finish this in a week or two, in the meantime, any ideas and suggestions are most welcome.

Obligatory "these don't look stock." Only joking - I hate it when people say that!
Downloading down (and your zpe) from space dock - this is a big  download. I might have to kill off a few other mods to fit this one in, but sacrifices must be made!

Regarding your last post (and I don't know what's in the pack already), but are there going to be emissive lights? I'm assuming those are the kind that actually radiate light, like you think an actual light would. That might be straying a bit far from the original idea, but you could have a light with cracked glass or flickering light. I'm thinking (and this is the light I use the most currently) something like the spotlights from B9, if you're familiar. They flicker when they come on, which is a nice touch (they also light up the surface of the planet from space...which, I guess they are spot lights). They have a stainless metal casing, which obviously you'd rustify. Bulb seems to be halogen of some sort. Just an idea.

Oh, and another vote for tweakscale integration, although as I a saw above, an MM config should be enough. Although, maybe not add tweakscale to the command modules, as (at least for me) that has caused issues.

Another MM config to consider adding, or getting a "volunteer" to (I would but I don't really know my way around MM just yet), would be Remote Tech, assuming this pack contains some relevant parts (i.e. antennas, probes).

And...maybe the Community Tech Tree or Connected Living Spaces.

Just a few ideas, from someone who, you know, hasn't actually played with your pack yet:P so take them for what they're worth. Download is done! Time to get this beauty installed.

Cheers (and pictures look fantastic, really looking forward to this, keep up the good work).

Holy. Crap.

I'm just blown away here, and I have well over a hundred mods, so I've seen a lot. I'm not a trained art critic or anything, but your models and textures are outstanding. Initial first impressions on playing for 30 minutes in the VAB, haven't actually flown anything, or unlocked all the parts (career), but I feel compelled to offer feedback because you've created a masterpiece here.

- The pods are excellent (the ones I've seen, oh, and you left some underscores "_" in the titles of a few). This is big for me. (The pricing on the mini pod (which looks awesome, I love building small) seems way high, but can be fixed with a config.)

- The Oil Can tanks (rcs engines, radial engines, etc) are glorious; seriously well done.

- The custom fairing. The thumbnail looks a bit weird, so when I saw that I thought the texture was going to come out all wonky, but I'll be damned if the set of rusted plates came out perfectly stretched across the custom fairing I built.

- Your solar panels (static) are excellent.

- Biggest point of criticism: there is too much orange (I know, download a rusty mod, complain about rust:rolleyes:). This is a pretty minor point, and might be an issue on my side of things, since I'm using Ambient Light Adjuster so my brightness in the VAB might be jacked up a bit, so saturation might be a bit off to me. Some pieces (e.g. the strut, fixed landing gear), are obviously the stock piece given a coating of orange. Meh, I kind of struggled with this one.

- Some titles and descriptions are missing, but considering the sheer amount of content delivered, that is perfectly reasonable.

That's it for now.

I really don't know where this mod has been hiding, but you have some serious talent. Very well done, indeed.

Cheers.

Oh, and one more config (and icon) to consider including is Filter Extensions.

--edit--

and realchutes

Edited by Deimos Rast

11 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Holy. Crap.

Thank you for taking your time to review my mod, much appreciated.

I especially appreciate criticism, because it helps me focus on things that need to be improved. I am well aware of most of those things, but, as you noticed, this mod grew so big that it is hard for me deal with all those small issues. It is no fun t all, I prefer creating new stuff. Still, I try to spend a couple of hours before publishing each update reviewing old parts and polishing .cfgs.

I like your suggestion to make lights flicker and cracked, I'll definitely try that.

As for 'too much orange', I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Rust comes in many different colors, I tried creating couple of different rust textures and this is the one that stuck in. To avoid having too many similar textures I started retexturing parts and added some semi rusted parts and damaged paint on others. I'll keep doing that in the future, but most of the parts will still have the same main rust texture.

Thanks again, and have fun with rusty rockets!

Quick bug report: the Iguana Radon engine doesn't quite stage right. Well, sort of - it turns on correctly and fires and everything, but there is no little fuel bar next to the rocket icon in the staging bar.

I looked at the config for it and it seems to be the same as the stock ion engine config and the setting for staging is present and enabled, so I don't know. It could be a mod conflict (I have a lot of mods), but this is a new issue, if so.

Or it could be an issue with the Radon fuel tank, maybe? 30minute burn time for one tank, maybe at those high of times, it doesn't register? No idea really.

I really like the Radon Engine/Tank combo and the green flames look lovely. The price tag...not so much, but we can't have everything:P. Currently sending one to Eve in the name of Science.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.