[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

I was wondering what is the function of the file "csurf_sync.cfg"? The first section change the module name of module "ModuleControlSurface" to "SyncModuleControlSurface". Is that necessary for proper operation of AA?

Edited by Galenmacil

2 hours ago, Galenmacil said:

I was wondering what is the function of the file "csurf_sync.cfg"? The first section change the module name of module "ModuleControlSurface" to "SyncModuleControlSurface". Is that necessary for proper operation of AA?

Yes. Stock control surfaces are a bit buggy and tend to invert themselves under certain conditions, basically they have incorrect math behind them. Also, I need them synchronous, so custom module kills two birds with one stone. In current 1.5.8 the file is not strictly neccessary, since I do second pass on KSP load to replace all stock csurfaces in parts with my implementation (just like MM does) - that prevents a number of bugs people reported in the past, when MM did not apply the patch (for various reasons).

Edited by Boris-Barboris

I would like to put in a request for HiDPI support.  I am running a 4K monitor, and the text is all very small.  Kerbal's main GUI elements respond to scaling requests, and I would like it if your GUI elements would do the same.  Thank you!  Also, I want to take a moment to say how much I appreciate your work here and how much it improves my game.  I enjoy atmospheric flight instead of argue with SAS the whole time!!!

First of all, thanks a million for updating to 1.2. I was having a little wish for a small design tweak. I would like to see the 'Strength' input field (pic) moved to the front gui. It is quite buried now. I use this modifier a lot depending on my speed and/or engine power to avoid Gs and smooten the turns to conserve energy.
-A slider would have been nice. Probably also a good idea to rename it to i.e 'input authority' or something if brought up to front gui.

QyYKiuE.png

Hello,

I have seemed to run into an incompatibility between atmosphere autopilot and sstu-s engines.

When i activate atmosphere autopilot while having an active sstu engine, it throws an exception and doesn't work.

Excerpt from my output.log:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Quaternion].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AtmosphereAutopilot.StockGimbal.neutralLocalRotation (Int32 thrustTransformIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AtmosphereAutopilot.FlightModel.update_engine_moments () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AtmosphereAutopilot.FlightModel.OnPreAutopilot (.FlightCtrlState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) FlightInputCallback:invoke_void__this___FlightCtrlState (FlightCtrlState)
  at Vessel.FeedInputFeed () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Link to my full log:

https://mega.nz/#!3YI3HTaA!F63t79YCaQKpthtkfivxDf3ci048E-AB_7qDc9Z0tXs

ps. I tried compiling the latest version available on github, but it didn't help.

Thank you

Edited by brainy

This is amazing. My airplane-only career would not be possible without it. 

Regarding the random unreliability, I've got a correlation between flipouts and computer processing power. I play the same game on two PCs, and my home computer can handle mach 3 level flight at 3x warp but flips out at 4x. Meanwhile my weaker laptop flips at 2x, in simpler flight. I'm thinking it doesn't play nice when KSP starts skipping physics frames? It seems to coincide with the flight time in the upper-left going from green to yellow or red.

Not sure if that's helpful info, but I can always hope. Thanks again for this project!

On 4.11.2015 at 10:42 AM, Boris-Barboris said:

. I needed three things in my life: generic fly-by-wire, cruise control and automatic lander. It makes me sad, but after one year, I only managed to implement the first autopilot (cruise control is also implemented).

I made a very very crude interface to kOS and made a automatic landing script.

I had to make some changes to the AtmosphereAutopilot code. (some vaiables anf function needed to be public) and I crated a derivate to the mousedir controller which accepts the disired direction as a parameter.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, this mod is awesome. It has made some of the designs I thought impossible in KSP work (relaxed stability fighters for example) work and hard to fly designs (flying wings) easy! However I've found a strange bug that has been resulting in some bizarre plane crashes.

I'll try to replicate this in an otherwise stock install, but I've currently been having a strange bug in which (usually at >130m/s) my control surfaces will either reverse* (make me pitch down when input is pull up, and pitch up when input is push down). Sometimes the surfaces will even be visually deflecting opposite to the force they are creating. This results in the autopilot violently flipping my plane (if it was on), and me having problems flying it for a period afterwards, even after turning the autopilot off (even when the plane is positively stable). After about 30 seconds the control surfaces revert to normal control. A similar bug that often happens along with this one, and which sometimes happens at lower speeds, has my control surfaces suddenly become ultra damped, often, for example, resulting in my fighter halting a loop it was in to lawn dart into the ground.

Is this a known bug from the 1.2.1 update?

As I said, I will attempt replicate this in a clean game and send you a log (if that helps).

*I do not have FAR, so it's not aerodynamic effects, and most planes falling victim to this worked perfectly before I got the autopilot.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
details

I found a craft that will, with reasonable reliability, reproduce the control surface inversion bug with the AA activated. It apparently flies fine with it deactivated, at least in a clean install. I have gotten this bug on other crafts, but I figured it would be overkill to upload all the ones I've had it happen on. Bug Demonstration Craft

y8Y7VqA.jpg

In the above picture you can see my control surfaces deflected as if to make the plane pull up, however instead my plane noses down in response to this. I'll try to get a picture with aerodynamic overlay to see what's going on.

It should be noted that this plane is positively stable, and was easily flyable before the introduction of AA

Edit2: Apparently this bug can happen with the MASTER SWITCH turned off. All that must be open is the Craft Settings

I am playing Windows 64bit 1.2.1. Is there still problems with 64bit that mean I should try 32bit?

Edit3: It just had it happen with AA deactivated. I will test in a non AA install to make sure I didn't somehow bug the plane after installing AA,

Edit4: I tested using the aero overlay and it would appear in this particular instance, the plane is fighting itself. The tailplanes are doing what they should be doing, but some control surfaces clipped in the nose are for whatever reason doing the opposite, and they are overpowering the tailplanes.

uw7dXUW.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Edit4

Like Zapo147 said, this is one of my favorite mods of all-time. I have a few mods that are on my must-have list and this one will absolutely remain near the top. Before I discovered this addon it never took me long to get bored/annoyed with atmospheric fight of any kind.

I thank you very much for the time and effort you have spent on this project!