[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

On 6/12/2019 at 7:59 AM, delta wee said:

Is there a way to use Atmosphere AutoPilot with kOS to script flying at different altitudes?

Would Snark's Attitude Adjustor :

Help with this at all? Not sure how the new axis controls work with/for kOS, but perhaps the above mod could help define a new "level" for AA or kOS to utilize.

Edited by Beetlecat

I am going to assume that I am experiencing operator error but for the life of me I can't figure out why I can't get the cruise flight controller or the mouse director to do anything.  The standards fly-by-wire works like a champ.  Throttle control seems to work like it is supposed to do but that seems to be it.  I am running KSP 1.7.1 and am using v 1.5.14 of the autopilot.

For example.  I Turn the master switch on, that goes green.  Select mouse director... that goes green.  Set an appropriate speed and that works. Press and hold  the middle mouse button, I can then drive the plane and nothing happens.  

I have a similar issue on the cruise flight controller.  I'll select a setting.  It turns green, change a value... heading or altitude and the plane doesn't do anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

44 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

I have a similar issue on the cruise flight controller.  I'll select a setting.  It turns green, change a value... heading or altitude and the plane doesn't do anything.

The Cruise Flight controller operates in one of three modes - Level, Heading and Waypoint. If you've left it in Level mode, it'll flight straight on the current heading; you have to pick Heading if you want it to fly in a particular direction, and Waypoint if you want to direct it to a specific spot. Similarly, you have to press a button in order for vertical control to engage. Same goes for speed control.

Try playing with those if you're not already. If so, try SCE to Aux.

I have linked a copy of the screenshot.  I am pretty sure that it is in

Master Switch On

Cruise Flight Controller - Activated.

Heading, Speed, and Vertical - Activated.

The aircraft in the screenshot is not turning or descending,  but is following the commanded speed.. 

Autopilot Settings Screenshot ( Sorry for the link, I can't get image embedded in the post).

Edited by Galland1998

17 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

I have linked a copy of the screenshot.  I am pretty sure that it is in

Master Switch On

Cruise Flight Controller - Activated.

Heading, Speed, and Vertical - Activated.

The aircraft in the screenshot is not turning or descending,  but is following the commanded speed.. 

Autopilot Settings Screenshot ( Sorry for the link, I can't get image embedded in the post).

Does it react if you manually roll it with keyboard? How does it react?

Looks like mod conflict tbh, try uploading a log file, please.

Just now, capi3101 said:

Where's your CoM and CoL on that craft, out of curiosity?

He's pitching up so it's stable.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

The craft is a little touchy without SAS or AA.  but with AA Fly By Wire or SAS she flies great.  In anycase here are the output logs.  And yes when the cruise flight controller was active I had pretty much full manual control of the aircraft and it flew well.

Here are the logs from the game.

The first on is one from a clean 1.7.1 install with only AA added.  On my short test flight AA worked as advertised.

AA on a Clean 1.7.1 Install

Here is the log from my heavily modded 1.7.1 install that I was having the issues. 

Modded 1.7.1 Output log.

Since it isn't working on the heavily modified game it leads me to believe that I have a conflict someplace.

9 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

And yes when the cruise flight controller was active I had pretty much full manual control of the aircraft and it flew well. 

I'll have time to read the log in 2 hours. You can try the following in the meantime:

Disconnect joystick before launching the game if present.

Reassign master switch from P to some other button in hotkeys panel

Temporarily remove PA or advanced flybywire mods if present. Kramax too. Or any other autopilot, so to speak.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

I've done some further testing and it looks like it might be some interaction between Throttle Controlled Avionics (TCA) v 3.5.7.0.1 and AA.  I removed Kramax which had no impact, then I removed TCA and AA functionality seems to have returned.  The cruise flight control and the mouse control seem to be basically working (based on my initial testing) the mouse control "works" for me but man is it super twitchy with the craft I am flying.  FBW control is buttery smooth, but it could be a settings thing with the mouse control or maybe some more user operator error. I play on a 1440p monitor so maybe the mouse is a little too sensitive and that translates to twitchy mouse control.

1 minute ago, Galland1998 said:

the mouse control "works" for me but man is it super twitchy with the craft I am flying

It's just not that good, you can tune some values from director's gui (strength and roll cubic K a bit lower for less twitching) , but don't expect magic.

TCA conflict is strange, that never happened before, unless the player left it explicitly ON. You may wish to talk to it's author, since AA's codebase is static and haven't seen core changes for the past two years.

I need to do some more testing on it since I really like TCA and has some features that I really want to use likes VTOL and precision landing support.  I just started your mod though and I like what I see so far.  I used to be a pilot and using your mod made the flying aspect of the game actually doable... especially the landing part.

4 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

I need to do some more testing on it since I really like TCA and has some features that I really want to use likes VTOL and precision landing support.  I just started your mod though and I like what I see so far.  I used to be a pilot and using your mod made the flying aspect of the game actually doable... especially the landing part.

I think if you try older TCA versions the conflict can be avoided.

well the plot thickens.  I don't think that it is TCA anymore.  I put both of the most recent versions of TCA and AA on a clean 1.7.1 KSP install and they seem to be playing nicely.  Something else most have changed when I did the CKAN uninstall of TCA on my modded game.  The only thing I can think of now is that it must have something to do with the order in which the patches are loaded or there is some other secondary interaction going on. 

I am starting to think that is had something to do with ModuleManager.  I deleted all of the files that MM 4.0.2 generates, reinstalled TCA and AA into my modded game and both seem to be more or less working as advertised.

Edited by Galland1998
updated info

On 6/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, Galland1998 said:

well the plot thickens.  I don't think that it is TCA anymore.  I put both of the most recent versions of TCA and AA on a clean 1.7.1 KSP install and they seem to be playing nicely.  Something else most have changed when I did the CKAN uninstall of TCA on my modded game.  The only thing I can think of now is that it must have something to do with the order in which the patches are loaded or there is some other secondary interaction going on. 

I am starting to think that is had something to do with ModuleManager.  I deleted all of the files that MM 4.0.2 generates, reinstalled TCA and AA into my modded game and both seem to be more or less working as advertised.

I just had the exact same problem you were having. Turns out I apparently set Director Strength (or something) to 0 in Craft Settings while fiddling with values. Setting it to whatever other number made it work as always.
I'd saved over the 'default' config and couldn't find a 'reset' button (which I guess the default cfg was) so now I'm off to reinstall! :)

Hope it's this simple for you too!

Moral of the story: Don't let end-users touch important bits :ph34r:

Edited by Jognt

15 minutes ago, Jognt said:

I just had the exact same problem you were having. Turns out I apparently set Director Strength (or something) to 0 in Craft Settings while fiddling with values. Setting it to whatever other number made it work as always.
I'd saved over the 'default' config and couldn't find a 'reset' button (which I guess the default cfg was) so now I'm off to reinstall! :)

Yeah, sorry, I've put "default" profile in zip archive's Global_settings.txt without a dir_strength value, that's why it gets zeroed-out after fresh install.

6 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

Yeah, sorry, I've put "default" profile in zip archive's Global_settings.txt without a dir_strength value, that's why it gets zeroed-out after fresh install.

In that case, what value should I put it on?

Edit: I'm guessing I should just save whatever values it starts up with to the default profile? If not, let me know :)

Edited by Jognt

• 3 weeks later...