[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

1 hour ago, Nitrous Oxide said:

My plane was flying fine in cruise mode @ 1600m now it's doing circles and dives and can't keep anything (heading or level)... nothing in the logs indicates anything went wrong, but has this happened to anyone else? Currently flies properly with SAS but, AA makes it all erratic and insists on deathspiraling to the ground. Losing patience for this game. I landed at Island Airport, fine, took off and AA doesn't work now, crashed into ocean.  :mad: Even FBW moderator wasn't acting as expected... is it because I took off again after landing?

That happens to me almost every time I land and take off again (when farming biome science with a plane). My work-around is to quicksave/quickload after landing and before taking off again.

If I don't do that, the autopilot will eventually figure things out again after flying for a little while but it is nearly impossible to control until then. I try using SAS to get enough altitude then turn back on the autopilot.

15 minutes ago, TaranisElsu said:

almost every time I land and take off again

I believe it is highly recommended not to use the autopilot on the ground.  Switch it off before landing and don't engage it again until airborne.  (Reason is that AA builds a model based on aircraft performance and an airplane looks like Dr Jekyll in the air, but Mr Hyde on the ground.)

13 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

There was a landed-state detection bug but it was fixed in 1.5.14, are you guyes saying it's back in recent KSP versions on 1.5.16 AA?

Appears to be the case, I'm on KSP 1.11. I don't think I noticed this at all in 1.10, but I'm not sure if I even attempted to take-off after landing there.
It was definitely fine before landing, and definitely not fine after taking off. :o

17 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

There was a landed-state detection bug but it was fixed in 1.5.14, are you guyes saying it's back in recent KSP versions on 1.5.16 AA?

The bug was present the last time I used AA, which was 1.5.16. I have not tried it with KSP 1.11 yet (not making planes right now).

Was having crashes on Post-patch callback for last entire week. Using 1.5.17rc1.

Found out that some of Nertea's mods are in conflict.

• Near Future Aeronautics
  • Near Future Propulsion
  • Near Future Spacecrafts
  • Kerbal Atomics

Other NF mods are working fine with AA.

Logs

EDIT:  After weeks without AA, somehow rc1 is working again, now I'm happy.

Edited by jupiterbjy

• 2 weeks later...

@Boris-Barboris If you ever decide to add any features to this, I find myself wishing often I could program the cruise flight controller to an altitude and rate of climb, instead of one or the other. especially in a lot of early careers, I make planes that can fly pretty high, but they have to climb really slow, and it'd be nice to say I want an altitude of 10K, but climb at a rate of 2m/s until you get there, and once the plane reaches the altitude set, it would set the vertical speed to 0, or ignore it unless the altitude drops under the set target. As is, I have to set the vertical velocity, then switch it to the target altitude when I get there. The problem is, sometimes I read or watch vids during those long climbs, and I miss the target altitude and get to a point I can't keep the plane from stalling, and end up dropping pretty far before I can recover, then have to start the long climb all over again. {if there's anyway to do what I'm asking already, I haven't found it.} It's not a major issue, not asking you to make any special effort, maybe I'm the only one whose ever run into these problems, but I though I'd drop the suggestion, just in case.

Edited by vardicd

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also finding that the AA will occasionally wig out after several minutes of flight on KSP 1.11. I thought this was an issue with kOS at first but the plane thinking it's on the ground seems pretty likely from what I'm seeing in the previous posts. I'm testing on a clean + isolated install anyway, but with no error messages it's hard to say why the AA is suddenly deciding that it needs to apply hard authority.

Edit: It's a mod interaction. I can't reproduce it when clean + isolated. I'll see if I can figure out what it is - kOS shouldn't have control of my vessel and neither should remote tech under these situations (manned flight)

Edited by Tahvohck

When cruise flight controller is activated, there seems to be a system which causes the plane to nosedive at high altitudes + speeds. I'm noticing it on reentry with a spaceplane, when the altitude is set to 50,000 or the vertical speed is set to something like -10, the plane will start nosediving around 55,000 m, pointing as far below the velocity vector as the craft AOA setting lets it. Then at around 25,000 it pulls up hard, and behaves normally.

Is there a way to make it not do this? I've looked through all the settings and documentation (along with google searches), I can't find anything explaining this.

This is with AA 1.5.6, using KSP 1.10.1 and FAR 0.16.0.1

1 hour ago, Cinquine said:

When cruise flight controller is activated, there seems to be a system which causes the plane to nosedive at high altitudes + speeds. I'm noticing it on reentry with a spaceplane, when the altitude is set to 50,000 or the vertical speed is set to something like -10, the plane will start nosediving around 55,000 m, pointing as far below the velocity vector as the craft AOA setting lets it. Then at around 25,000 it pulls up hard, and behaves normally.

Is there a way to make it not do this? I've looked through all the settings and documentation (along with google searches), I can't find anything explaining this.

This is with AA 1.5.6, using KSP 1.10.1 and FAR 0.16.0.1

This could be related to my issues as well, though I'm seeing it at low altitudes and pretty much any speed. The nosedive is exactly what's happening though. Are AA and FAR your only mods?

Here's some testing done with the panels open, in case Boris sees anything in particular that might be setting the AA off. Modlists are in the video descriptions, I'll be doing further tests as I have patience for them.

It should be noted that Remote Tech is installed in both cases, but there are no antennas on the plane, and there's also no kOS KPU modules on the plane.

Edit: Also, sorry about double-posting, I'm not thinking very well right now.

Edited by Tahvohck

@Tahvohck
First video indeed looks like some conflict, as if the control output from the AA is not matching the input to control surfaces, maybe there is an additional mod in the control chain. AA model decided that your craft is extremely unstable and overmoderated allowed AoA to such a small value that you could not recover from a nosedive.

I don't think I'll have a look before friday, so if you could try to deduce the mod in question it could help immensely.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

Some good news, out of 128 mods I've identified 96 that don't seem to be interfering, and I've confirmed it's not a local configuration issue (fresh install with 128 still had the issue, I believe).

Bad news: The 32 mods I'd removed were ones I was sure weren't causing issues. So... that's a good time. :( That leaves the following to test:

Spoiler

ASETAgency 1.0
ASETAvionics 2.1
ASETProps 1.5
AviationLights 1:v4.1.1
BasicProceduralTextures v1.2
Chatterer 0.9.99
ChattererExtended 0.6.2
ContractConfigurator 1.30.5
ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4
ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.2.2
ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.10
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.2.3
ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech 2.1.4
ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.5.2
ContractsWindowPlus 9.4
CorrectCoL 1.6.5.3
CraftManager 1.2.0
DatedQuickSaves 1.2.4.4
DistantObject v2.0.2.0
DistantObject-default v2.0.2.0
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.9.2.2
FilterExtensions 3.2.6
GAP 1.6.1
HangarGrid 0.4.0-181
KerbalNRAP 1.6.0
MK12PodIVAReplacementbyASET 1:0.3
Mk1CockpitIVAReplbyASET 1.1
Mk1LanderCanIVAReplbyASET 1.1
MoarFEConfigs 1.0.5.2
SixCrewScienceLab 1.2
SixSeatMk3cockpit 1.2
WindTunnel 1.3.0

Personally I have my eye on ModularFlightIntegrator, maybe the wind tunnel mod. If it's any of the contract mods I'm gonna have stern words for them.

Test 2 - failure

Spoiler

Test 3 - clean

Spoiler

Edit: No video this time. I can't actually get the interaction to happen again on the minimized list. Also, it turns out I already eliminated Modular Flight Integrator... so I have no idea. I'm gonna see if I can get my full modded install to work with this knowledge.

Edited by Tahvohck
Extra info, hide videos in spoilers

Dunno what I did, but I've eliminated the issue for now in my modded save. I've removed the following, but I don't think they're to blame.

AmpYearPowerManager 1:V1.5.8.0
DeployableEngines 1.2.3
FilterExtensions 3.2.6
MoarFEConfigs 1.0.5.2
ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.8.0
NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.1.2
REPOSoftTech-Agencies V1.5.8.0
SixCrewScienceLab 1.2
SixSeatMk3cockpit 1.2

• 1 month later...

Since last time I experienced stuck on post-patch callback (while still getting "applied x patches message" which means it's not related to patches itself), I eventually got that same issue again after updating other mods.

This time, I saw there was KSPUpgradeScriptFix.dll on both outside and inside mod folder in zip file of 1.5.17.

After removing one inside the folder now game doesn't get stuck on the startup.

Was that .dll file is supposed to be removed all the time? Since sometimes removing MM cache fixes and sometimes not I' m not confident if this was the fix. I didn't cleared the cache this time though.

Edited by jupiterbjy
added informations

40 minutes ago, jupiterbjy said:

Since last time I experienced stuck on post-patch callback (while still getting "applied x patches message" which means it's not related to patches itself), I eventually got that same issue again after updating other mods.

This time, I saw there was KSPUpgradeScriptFix.dll on both outside and inside mod folder in zip file of 1.5.17.

After removing one inside the folder now game doesn't get stuck on the startup.

Was that .dll file is supposed to be removed all the time? Since sometimes removing MM cache fixes and sometimes not I' m not confident if this was the fix. I didn't cleared the cache this time though.

My bad, you're right, it's not supposed to be in AA folder, packaging mistake.

There is no reason to use 1.5.17rc1, it didn't fix any bugs it was supposed to fix, so you can stay on 1.5.16.

The latest version of this mod i can find listed on CKAN is 1.5.16 for some reason.

I have no problem doing manual installations. I just don't know if you forgot or if you're not supporting CKAN anymore.

3 minutes ago, Evco said:

The latest version of this mod i can find listed on CKAN is 1.5.16 for some reason.

I have no problem doing manual installations. I just don't know if you forgot or if you're not supporting CKAN anymore.

It is the latest stable version, there's nothing wrong with it. Is CKAN refusing to install it?

Edited by Boris-Barboris