[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

Feature request: Hold vertical speed. Not to be confused with 'hold pitch'. This is absolutely vital when flying scramjets in order to maintain speed/atmospheric pressure ratio.

It would also be nice to have +/- buttons for the different variables. When cruising at mach 12 it spells doom to clear out the input fields before one can write new values.

Edited by SkyKaptn

v1.5.4 is up, mostly quality of life improvements, but control surface fix is quite important, I chased it since October. Enjoy.

Changelog:

• fixed bug with incorrect handling of navball in surface velocity mode;
  • Mini-AVC version files fixed;
  • stock-alike deploy direction of control surfaces under stock aero;
  • corrected GUI hiding (F2) code;
  • fixed old bug with stock control surfaces, wich snapped deflection to zero on small control signals. Behaviour on extreme dynamic pressure regimes significantly improved under stock aero, for both manual and automated flight;
  • new window in AppLauncher window list - "Hotkey manager". Allows to change hotkeys in runtime. Escape to unset hotkey (yes, it pauses the game as well, i know, i hate GUIs);
  • speed control setpoint can now be controlled by ThrottleUp and ThrottleDown keys. Can be toggled and tweaked in Prograde thrust controller's GUI, consult docs;
  • close window buttons added;
  • Cruise Flight window reworked, advanced settings hidden, distance to waypoint readout added;
  • Cruise Flight setpoints are controllable by pitch and yaw keys if needed. Right Alt (configurable in hotkeys manager) toggles this behaviour. To toggle and tweak, adress CF window advanced options and docs;
  • corrected vertical speed behaviour on very large turns under CF control;
  • vertical speed setpoint added to Cruise Flight;
  • added hotkeys for Rocket mode and Coordinated turn flags of FBW;
Edited by Boris-Barboris

4 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

v1.5.4 is up, mostly quality of life improvements, but control surface fix is quite important, I chased it since October. Enjoy.

Changelog:

• fixed bug with incorrect handling of navball in surface velocity mode;
  • Mini-AVC version files fixed;
  • stock-alike deploy direction of control surfaces under stock aero;
  • corrected GUI hiding (F2) code;
  • fixed old bug with stock control surfaces, wich snapped deflection to zero on small control signals. Behaviour on extreme dynamic pressure regimes significantly improved under stock aero, for both manual and automated flight;
  • new window in AppLauncher window list - "Hotkey manager". Allows to change hotkeys in runtime. Escape to unset hotkey (yes, it pauses the game as well, i know, i hate GUIs);
  • speed control setpoint can now be controlled by ThrottleUp and ThrottleDown keys. Can be toggled and tweaked in Prograde thrust controller's GUI, consult docs;
  • close window buttons added;
  • Cruise Flight window reworked, advanced settings hidden, distance to waypoint readout added;
  • Cruise Flight setpoints are controllable by pitch and yaw keys if needed. Right Alt (configurable in hotkeys manager) toggles this behaviour. To toggle and tweak, adress CF window advanced options and docs;
  • corrected vertical speed behaviour on very large turns under CF control;
  • vertical speed setpoint added to Cruise Flight;
  • added hotkeys for Rocket mode and Coordinated turn flags of FBW;

Awesome. Thanks for the update!!

Brilliant update! Thanks for the vertical speed autopilot. This makes the very delicate climb and acceleration to hypersonic much more manageable. Reached 50.000m at mach 14.8 before flame out. (RSS) The plane flew rock steady. (Screenshot was taken some seconds after flame out, lost mach 1 during)

izgxViI.png

I'm now getting the aforementioned crash-to-black error that others were getting. Using 1.5.4., downloaded from Spacedock. It tends to happen not long after I switch on velocity control. Reverting just brings me to a Galaxy backdrop screen, with UI overlays.

3 hours ago, kiwinanday said:

I'm now getting the aforementioned crash-to-black error that others were getting

I do believe your KSP is crashing to black, but I doubt it's related to AA, especially since you use "tends to happen not tong after". Upload output_log.txt, so we can investigate.

4 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

I do believe your KSP is crashing to black, but I doubt it's related to AA, especially since you use "tends to happen not tong after". Upload output_log.txt, so we can investigate.

F'sure. Unfortunately, I just got into work, so I won't be able to get those for maybe 8 hours, but will reply when I do.

A little bit of background—was flying around KSC, testing manueverability (with AA off), then to land, I turn it on to slow down, and within 15-30 seconds, the engines cut out, and the screen goes black. Turning off AA brings the engines back online (I can hear them), but not the video. Aside, I've noticed some odd interactions between AirplanePlus (prop engines) and AA [props flameout above 225m/s, re-cycling AA off and on resets them], so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mod conflict of sorts.

As mentioned, as soon as I get home from work, I'll run up KSP and get you an output_log.txt.

BTW, LOVVVVVEE the mod—great for cruising from one destination to another. If I had to choose between MechJeb and AA, I'd probably go with AA :) That's why I'm so keen to get it running again, if you understand.

Ok, @kiwinanday when you'll have spare time, try the dropbox build, it may fix the black screen:

Dropbox build

For people who are interested, I added hotkeys for speed control toggle (on\off), cruise flight vertical motion control toggle and altitude\vertical speed toggle, so less mouse clicks are needed now. Of course, more will be added in the bright distant future.

@Morse formed a pull request of his beautiful mini-menu:

pMWmYuX.jpg

We tinkered a little to make it work decently, so you can test his work using the abovementioned build and setting to true one line in Global_setting.txt (parsed every scene change, so you can switch without shutting down KSP):

AtmosphereAutopilot
{
	use_neo_gui = true     // THIS ONE TO TRUE
}

Obviously, it's very raw and lacks most of advanced functionality of AA, but you may still like it.

Unfortunately, the workflow to develop the interface like this manages to be slower, than legacy GUILayout reflection-based one I developed in the early AA days, so I will not be actively using or developing this part of the AA (let's call it Neo-GUI). I can build new large windows with tens of parameters in a matter of minutes under old system, so conservative me will stay on it to finally have some time for actual control changes, at last. I would like to leave GUI and hotkeys alone for now, but I will support other people's efforts to develop Neo-GUI, if they wish.

I'll look into @kiwinanday's crash and then release 1.5.5, maybe some other changes or fixes will be needed.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

3 minutes ago, kiwinanday said:

Haven't tried Dropbox link yet—will post and try that after sharing this log

Please try dropbox link, i did some fixes there.

Log is in KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt if you're playing x64 or KSP_Data\output_log.txt if 32bit.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

2 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

Please try dropbox link, i did some fixes there.

Log is in KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt if you're playing x64 or KSP_Data\output_log.txt if 32bit.

Ok, installing 1.5.5 now; log isn't showing up in either, just folders labeled "Mono"—is it different on Mac (I don't see why it would be)—I have a core KSP.log, but that looks like boot information.

@kiwinanday for Mac "Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log ) "

Sounds strange, if you will not find it there, let's try the KSP.log.

20 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

@kiwinanday for Mac "Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log ) "

Sounds strange, if you will not find it there, let's try the KSP.log.

I can't attach the log, so I'm going to paste a Dropbox link into the spoiler window; for what it's worth, testing the 1.5.5 didn't produce the same errors. Interestingly, when my screen goes black, if I turn off AA, I can fly via Navball; if I turn it back on, controls lock up.

12 minutes ago, kiwinanday said:

testing the 1.5.5 didn't produce the same errors

Unfortunately, logs don't help. Ok, so I'll ask you to answer some questions:

0). Does it crash with 1.5.5.? If yes, aswer other questions, if not, let's consider it """""fixed""""".

1). It crashes like this only with speed control on?

2). It certanly does not crash like this without AA turned on?

3). Crash happens immediately after throttle is dropped to zero by autopilot? If not, is there a reliable way to reproduce the situation? Any clues?

4). Does it crash with stock engines? Or only with AirplanePlus ones?

5). Does it crash in simple level flight when AA doesn't need to drop throttle to zero?

Edited by Boris-Barboris

41 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

Unfortunately, logs don't help. Ok, so I'll ask you to answer some questions:

0). Does it crash with 1.5.5.? If yes, aswer other questions, if not, let's consider it """""fixed""""".

1). It crashes like this only with speed control on?

2). It certanly does not crash like this without AA turned on?

3). Crash happens immediately after throttle is dropped to zero by autopilot? If not, is there a reliable way to reproduce the situation? Any clues?

4). Does it crash with stock engines? Or only with AirplanePlus ones?

5). Does it crash in simple level flight when AA doesn't need to drop throttle to zero?

0. After ten minutes of flying, toggling speed control on and off, and so far ^_^ Sticking with 1.5.5

1. Yes, standard fly-by-wire, with speed control on to severely slow down (200m/s to 100m/s) (doesn't seem to happen when I'm using it to speed up)

2. I ran with all other mods, AA excluded, and never had the problem.

3. I'll be flying at 200m/s, turn on speed control, and screen goes black and controls lock up within 10-20 seconds

4. So far, AP+ only.

5. So far, no.

My guess is that something in 1.5.5 fixed it, so I'll stick with that for now; If I see something come up, I'll let you know :)

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Edited by kiwinanday

12 hours ago, kiwinanday said:

Hey, on this new version (1.5.5), the buttons for kts and M are inverted—kts shows speed in Mach, M shows speed in kts.

Also, the "Use Keys" function won't turn off.

redownload.

Released 1.5.5, added input field delays of 2 seconds to course, speed, altitude, vertical speed, as well as abovementioned Neo-GUI stuff and new hotkeys.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

5 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

redownload.

Released 1.5.5, added input field delays of 2 seconds to course, speed, altitude, vertical speed, as well as abovementioned Neo-GUI stuff and new hotkeys.

Shift key still increases target speed, even when "use keys" is off. Running 1.5.5b1 from Spacedock.

On 13/03/2016 at 0:01 AM, Boris-Barboris said:

Ah, so that's what you meant. Yes, it is intended, FBW keeps sideslip at zero to minimize drag, and it doesn't control pitch angle, it works with different motion elements (consult FBW description in docs for exact info), copying military fly-by-wire mechanics. I can do some kind of "coordinated turn" mode to mimic that particular behaviour of Pilot Assistant. It doesn't look very hard.

I know, Im horribly late to the party. Im curious which military FBW mechanics you were looking at? I know there is some notes leaked onto the net about LM FBW implementation for the F-16. That particular one can do a coordinated turn when in autopilot HDG SEL or STR SEL modes.

36 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

Im curious which military FBW mechanics you were looking at?

Mostly the feeling of yaw I got from F-15 in Lock On. It damped yaw very well, though didn't kill the dutch roll. I didn't know the exact control law of course, so I just bound yaw to sideslip. Works fine for both agile and slow planes.

Memories of F-15's auto-trim are one of the main inspirations for this mod's very existence, it's such a comfortable thing to have.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.