[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Arrowmaster said:

Could this be the cause of the failure to load old crafts?

The latest release on GitHub is a pre-release. Typically only full releases get promotes to SpaceDock and CKAN. The change log  indicates was compiled for KSP 1.11 code. It's a use at own risk version.  

I'm running the latest full release 1.5.16 on KSP 1.12.1 on Windows and have no issues with missing craft.

7 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

I'm running the latest full release 1.5.16 on KSP 1.12.1 on Windows and have no issues with missing craft.

I can reliably reproduce the issue by deleting all the Aeris 3A files from the stock Ships folder then re-verifying with Steam to get the original files. If I try to load the Aeris 3A with AA installed , clicking the Load button will do nothing in game and write NREs to the log about SaveUpgradePipeline. If I try to load the Aeris 3A without AA, the game will copy Aeris 3A.craft to Aeris 3A.craft.orginal and replace Aeris 3A.craft with a newly saved version where SaveUpgradePipeline successfully ran. That newly saved version will load with AA installed.

1 hour ago, Arrowmaster said:

I can reliably reproduce the issue by deleting all the Aeris 3A files from the stock Ships folder then re-verifying with Steam to get the original files. If I try to load the Aeris 3A with AA installed , clicking the Load button will do nothing in game and write NREs to the log about SaveUpgradePipeline. If I try to load the Aeris 3A without AA, the game will copy Aeris 3A.craft to Aeris 3A.craft.orginal and replace Aeris 3A.craft with a newly saved version where SaveUpgradePipeline successfully ran. That newly saved version will load with AA installed.

I was having this problem, and never discovered what mod is causing it!

I also discovered that simply changing the version of the vessel to 1.8.0 resolve this issue... I have changed all the stock vessels that way... I don't know if this could have broken something...

Thanks!

Edited by Dominiquini

11 hours ago, Arrowmaster said:

I just noticed the release file on github includes a KSPUpgradeScriptFix.dll but this is not installed when installing AtmosphereAutopilot from CKAN. Could this be the cause of the failure to load old crafts?

This DLL fixes a problem on a thingy called UpgradePipeline (a thingy that convert crafts on older formats to the current one, migrating modules too) where the Aero Control Surfaces were being "inverted" (something specially nasty on flaps where the direction in which the control surfaces goes when deploy is crucial). This problem started to happen on KSP 1.8 , and I don't know if it still needed on KSP 1.12.x

If you are curious about the need of the thing, check this post:

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, Dominiquini said:

I was having this problem, and never discovered what mod is causing it!

I also discovered that simply changing the version of the vessel to 1.8.0 resolve this issue... I have changed all the stock vessels that way... I don't know if this could have broken something...

Hey, nice hack! Install the KSPUpgradeScriptFix.dll and see if it fixes the problem for you, I think it's way more convenient. Otherwise, the KSPUpgradeScriptFix would probably need some fixing itself...

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

This DLL fixes a problem on a thingy called UpgradePipeline (a thingy that convert crafts on older formats to the current one, migrating modules too) where the Aero Control Surfaces were being "inverted" (something specially nasty on flaps where the direction in which the control surfaces goes when deploy is crucial). This problem started to happen on KSP 1.8 , and I don't know if it still needed on KSP 1.12.x

If you are curious about the need of the thing, check this post:

Reveal hidden contents

Hey, nice hack! Install the KSPUpgradeScriptFix.dll and see if it fixes the problem for you, I think it's way more convenient. Otherwise, the KSPUpgradeScriptFix would probably need some fixing itself...

I don't know if this hack really works'.. I was able to load the vessel, but it can be broken! I don't launch it... Maybe the game don't run this script to upgrade the control surface of the vessel?

6 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

I don't know if this hack really works'.. I was able to load the vessel, but it can be broken! I don't launch it... Maybe the game don't run this script to upgrade the control surface of the vessel?

There's two years since I looked on that code, but you may be right - looking on it again, it appears to be only applied when the craft is made before or on 1.8.0, when then the 1.8.0 upgrade script would be kicked in.

That hack of yours (editing the craft file to appears to be made on 1.8.0) throwed some light on this equation!

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

There's two years since I looked on that code, but you may be right - looking on it again, it appears to be only applied when the craft is made before or on 1.8.0, when then the 1.8.0 upgrade script would be kicked in.

That hack of yours (editing the craft file to appears to be made on 1.8.0) throwed some light on this equation!

Nice!
Are you working on this mod?

11 minutes ago, Dominiquini said:

But this KSP-Recall is not only for some bugfixes?

Yep.

It aims to fix things on KSP itself, and this appears to be one of them. I have similar problems (inverted control surfaces) without AAP installed (besided probably due some other problem) too,  and it will probably be fixed the same way - so it would be a waste of efforts trying to do it separately. 

Assuming, of course, that I manage to understand the thing... This appeara to be somewhat complicated (not to mentiom potentially messy)

• 2 weeks later...

This mod also throws this exception every time I select the  "RE-J10 "Wolfhound"  Liquid Fuel Engine" (LiquidEngineRE-J10) in the VAB/SPH:

[ModuleSrfFX]: No IThrustProvider module found at index 0!

The only thing I noted is that is the only engine that have 2 modules 'ModuleSurfaceFX' with the same key 'thrustProviderModuleIndex' (== 0). And it is not a 'MultiModeEngine', like the others!

I try removing one of that modules and the exceptions disappear!

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

The only thing I noted is that is the only engine that have 2 modules 'ModuleSurfaceFX' with the same key 'thrustProviderModuleIndex' (== 0). And it is not a 'MultiModeEngine', like the others!

I try removing one of that modules and the exceptions disappear!

Thanks.

You can also try to increase thrustProviderModuleIndex by 1 in part config. AA moves Gimbal modules to the head of module list, so all other modules before gimbal have their offsets increased by one.

Oh, I see, AA already fixes thrustProviderModuleIndex, but only for first ModuleSurfaceFX it finds. That explains why deleting the second one fixes the problem.

Can you give me the part config? I don't have a DLC.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

6 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

You can also try to increase thrustProviderModuleIndex by 1 in part config. AA moves Gimbal modules to the head of module list, so all other modules before gimbal have their offsets increased by one.

Oh, I see, AA already fixes thrustProviderModuleIndex, but only for first ModuleSurfaceFX it finds. That explains why deleting the second one fixes the problem.

Can you give me the part config? I don't have a DLC.

LiquidEngineRE-J10.cfg: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w0jieryuk41ijx/LiquidEngineRE-J10.cfg?dl=0

Is there any thing more that I could help?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Boris-Barboris said:

test the release

I tested here and don't see any error messages with this engine anymore!

About other possible bug discussed some posts above (I'm not sure if is this mod's problem), you take a look? Is about the game not able to load some old stock vessels (version prior to 1.8).

Thanks.

If you are taking suggestions:

Use the hotkey for "master switch" to also open the "Autopilot module manager" window! Also, in the "Autopilot manager windows", hide the options if the "Master switch" is off!

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

Use the hotkey for "master switch" to also open the "Autopilot module manager" window! Also, in the "Autopilot manager windows", hide the options if the "Master switch" is off!

1). Shift+<Hotkey> does that IIRC.

2). That would prevent you from pre-configuring stuff before enabling AA.

11 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

About other possible bug discussed some posts above (I'm not sure if is this mod's problem), you take a look? Is about the game not able to load some old stock vessels (version prior to 1.8).

Sorry, no, I just put my trust in Lisias's eventual victory and do other things.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Boris-Barbois,

I cant seem to get your mod to work, it either doesn't load and I cant use it, or KSP will not move past the intentional load screen when its installed in the Squad file. This is the only mod I have installed besides the required ModuleManager, KSP runs just fine with just ModuleManager but as soon as I transfer AAP into Squad or just Gamefolder KSP wont move past the load screen. Ive tried everything i can think of, any ideas?

Thank you,

MrDrHeada**

On 6/3/2021 at 3:22 AM, Morse said:

I was actually waiting for this to surface. I had the same error. But my version of AA is modified, so I was not sure whether it was just me. The problem is that the fix is non-trivial, it involves the GimbalRearranger. The idea for loaders is that the StartLoad() finishes quickly, and just starts a coroutine that does the heavy lifting. The coroutine should also yield regularly, so that the screen does not freeze. GimbalRearranger just does everything synchronously in the main thread, which, apparently, unity have an issue with. If the method takes too long - everything hangs forever. The trick is to know how long is "too long". My guess is that it has something to do with the framerate. Long story short, StartLoad() should StartCoroutine(), everything else should go inside that coroutine, yield return null should be inside the loops in coroutines to not stutter the framerate.

@Morse, do you think the problem of the guy one post above is the same as in your post?

Edited by Boris-Barboris

9 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

@Morse, do you think the problem of the guy one post above is the same as in your post?

Hanging during the loading screen might be it. Looks the same based on the description. Unfortunately I moved away from my computer and can't just PR the fix. I'll be back only in a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing KSP for many years but only just recently discovered this mod.  It's awesome!  Just had to pop in to say thanks for putting it together and maintaining it all these years.  Wish I knew about it before.

• 3 weeks later...

This mod is just...wow.  Not enough words for how well this works.

But I am having an odd problem.  I'm doing GAP flights (fly KSC to somewhere, land, take back off and return to KSC) and running into issues on the second take off.  Note: this happens on many planes, all of which take off fine when launched from KSC, but after landing run into this issue on the 2nd attempted takeoff.

Basically, I taxi to the end of the run way, set flaps (or not) and brake, throttle up, let off the brakes after the engines spool up and get up to take off speed and lift off...then the roll surfaces go wonky and the plane goes into a full body stall.

If I attempt the same second take off with AA off, the plane flies normally (albeit not well since I'm meh at fine tuning my aircraft)

I could even do the second take off, level out and turn AA back on and then this happens.

My theory is that my ground time is mis-training the stability models and they don't know what's going on.

Is there a way to re-set AA while in the same flight session?

32 minutes ago, feldomatic said:

roll surfaces go wonky

I’ve had similar problems. Alt-f12 to open the debug window, clear input locks.

I don’t know whether a key is really getting stuck according to KSP, or if that routine coincidentally resets something within AA.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.