[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

57 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

@Kernowden Kerbin and others, please check that with this dll AA works correctly after splashing down and taking off from water again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzmrgz9k7o4cc10/AtmosphereAutopilot.dll?dl=0

Replace dll with this one.

it don't work when plane land on water and take off from land,sir

49 minutes ago, Kernowden Kerbin said:

it don't work

I did the following: took up on test craft from KSC, splashed in the sea, swam to land, took off. AA did work. but terribly, because it cannot distinguish landed craft from flying because of my custom fixes for you, and time spent on land breaks it's vision of the craft. After about 30 seconds of flight and a lot of on/off toggling it came back to normal. Experience was terrible, but there is little I can do.

Stock KSP LandedOrSplashed Vessel class property must be fixed by ksp devs. You are the second guy that reports it, so I can only advise you to pass the issue to them.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, Hotel26 said:

1.5.12:    https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/AtmosphereAutopilot/releases/tag/v1.5.12

• Adds Tgt and Wpt buttons to the Cruise Flight controller waypoint display.  Copies the current lon/lat of the Target or Waypoint, if one is selected, to the lon/lat display and begins navigation to the selection.

aOmJg9M.png

Please report any difficulties encountered, via this thread.  Also, any questions about operation of the new feature are welcome here.

Release 1.5.12, described above, is now live via CKAN.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Just wanted to say I really enjoy this mod and was wondering if it is possible to run this alongside of Kramax Autopilot? I'd like to use some of the features of Kramax (autoland for instance, as well as flight plans with multiple points).

Just now, Tivec said:

Hello! Just wanted to say I really enjoy this mod and was wondering if it is possible to run this alongside of Kramax Autopilot? I'd like to use some of the features of Kramax (autoland for instance, as well as flight plans with multiple points).

Alongside, but not simultaneously. You must turn it off before you activate Kramax and vice versa.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure on which mod to post this, but I have noticed that the Fly-By-Wire Moderation Autopilot isn't working when I control the aircraft via the Joystick controls introduced by this mod: 

Is there a possibility for a patch, or is the error not on your end?

the Autopilot works fine as long as I use the normal WASD keys, so I know that it basically works, but it doesn't register the inputs made by that mod.

PS: AMAZING work btw. I'm probably one of the (apparently not so) few people that hardly build rockets in KSP and love to fly around in my IVA. And getting rid of the giggly controls and dead stops in the air cause you pulled to hard on your stick feels so much better!

2 hours ago, CItyrobo said:

Is there a possibility for a patch, or is the error not on your end?

I remember introducing an option to AFBW called "AA compatibility mode" about 2 years ago, you should probably start by looking for something like that in AFBW's GUI. If it isn't there, you should inquire about it's fate in AFBW's topic.

AH! I found it! and it works like a charm! 

Kind of unfortunate that that setting is not mentioned anywhere though... Not here nor on AFBWs page, even though they work great together...

Is there a downside of using that Compatibility option or why is it not enabled by default? I'm just curious. Would probably help some people and circumvent a lot of hassle and repetitive questions.

18 minutes ago, CItyrobo said:

Is there a downside of using that Compatibility option or why is it not enabled by default? I'm just curious. Would probably help some people and circumvent a lot of hassle and repetitive questions.

Nobody actually knows, and that is why it is not a default. Mod authors should make decisions like this, not third parties like myself. I'll add this bit to AA's FAQ.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Svm420 said:

I just found this cool video about some flight control experiments performed back in the 70s. I wondered is this something AA could do?

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, FBW systems efficiently tackle aircraft's asymmetry and mitigate the dutch roll - something that is very hard for a human brain and is only partially solved with extensive pilot training. Original video contains a demonstration of me only touching yaw while the AA is keeping the wings level: https://youtu.be/MDChYmfR6XA?t=21

It is achieved by feeding yaw controller's output as additional, special input to roll controller which applies the necessary counter-torque to maintain it's own setpoint.

On the subject of translational shenanigans they demonstrate, sounds like waste of time and money. Helicopter-like sliding is achievable in KSP by inverted fins close to COM that counter the tail fin's side lift without countering it's torque. Others are probably too. And in all of them the unstandard frame plays as big a role as the software.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

6 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

Yes, FBW systems efficiently tackle aircraft's asymmetry and mitigate the dutch roll - something that is very hard for a human brain and is only partially solved with extensive pilot training. Original video contains a demonstration of me only touching yaw while the AA is keeping the wings level: https://youtu.be/MDChYmfR6XA?t=21

It is achieved by feeding yaw controller's output as additional, special input to roll controller which applies the necessary counter-torque to maintain it's own setpoint.

On the subject of translational shenanigans they demonstrate, sounds like waste of time and money. Helicopter-like sliding is achievable in KSP by inverted fins close to COM that counter the tail fin's side lift without countering it's torque. Others are probably too. And in all of them the unstandard frame plays as big a role as the software.

I think the coolest part about the yaw and pitch pointing is that is doesn't end up changing heading or altitude, and that it can hold those positions. I can see how an inverted tail ahead of COM would allow for something like the horizontal translation, like they had on the test craft, but i don't think you'd be able to tell the aircraft to move horizontally while maintaining constant heading/attitude. I'm not sure how  they accomplish the vertical translation. I can see where the specially design airframe is needed to allow these maneuvers.  I just though this was a very novel approach to aircraft control and wondered if AA could match it. Niche use, but interesting none the less. Thanks for the best FBW mod :)FAR and AA are must installs for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, Boris-Barboris said:

Stock KSP LandedOrSplashed Vessel class property must be fixed by ksp devs. You are the second guy that reports it, so I can only advise you to pass the issue to them.

I'm a devoted fan of this mod - it makes just about everything fly 10x better.  But if I take-off, land and then take-off again, as soon as I reactivate AA my aircraft always always goes absolutely bananas and crashes violently.

I read this post while I was flying about and I noticed that KER was showing what seemed to be a perfectly accurate 'Vessel Situation' at all times.

I had a poke around that mod's Github and noticed that they're using the ScienceUtil 'ExperimentSituations' rather than vessel.LandedOrSplashed.

I changed the code in your source to use that approach instead, so for example:

ScienceUtil.GetExperimentSituation(FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel) == ExperimentSituations.SrfLanded || ScienceUtil.GetExperimentSituation(FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel) == ExperimentSituations.SrfSplashed

I threw the new DLL into KSP and tried it out a couple of times.  Now, instead of essentially completely losing control, I get several seconds of slight 'jiggling' before it settles down completely.

Anyway, maybe think about trying it out.  It's solved it for me so far.

Thanks for the awesome mod!