Dragonfly: Mun/Minmus Exploration Flyer!

Before NASA decided to send a Lunar Rover on the last three Apollo missions, they had considered a small flyer (or pair of flyers) to be used to explore the Moon's surface. I have always wondered how that would have turned out, and building a Munar flyer has been on my KSP Bucket List for some time now. Today, I can cross that item off (well, actually several days ago, I just procrastinated in getting this out), because the Dragonfly Exploration Flyer is complete!

:cool:

vJPVrJY.png

Although it's performance on the Mun isn't as amazing as I had hoped, it is still good for short range operations. On Minmus, however, it excels at long range hops across the surface. In fact, it can make a 20km Minmus orbit on 30 units of monopropellant (about a third of its supply), making it the perfect choice for an emergency escape vehicle.

gX1TSyl.png

It's searchlight and its surface scanning module allow the Dragonfly to perform search and rescue missions, scout out new locations for bases, or even hunt for those elusive monoliths! (I'm fairly certain Minmus has some...)

QJFQotS.png

The Dragonfly contains a large battery capacity, and is equipped with an RTG for night operations, and its boom mounted engines keep the pilot safe from the toxic exhaust (sure, let's use hydrazine on a craft where the pilot is completely exposed!). It's two omnidirectional antennas allow fast, stable communications with orbiting satellites or surface bases, and the four landing legs provide a compact yet stable platform.

3HdIShp.png

Here is one of the many satisfied operators of this vehicle on an exploration flight on Minmus!

4RVte81.png

I promise, this Kerbal is in love with the Dragonfly, he just isn't used to flying in a command seat, that's all. :P

rrfBXNP.png

While the Dragonfly is recommended for use on Minmus, it can manage short duration patrol flights on the Mun as well. Be careful though, it's range is significantly reduced in the higher gravity.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Even though it's a small craft, please give me some feedback, and be sure to post some pictures of your own Dragonfly flights here. Don't forget to leave some rep if you enjoyed!

Nicely done, I do aprove. :cool:

Cupcake...

It occurred to me after the fact that the Dragonfly does seem like something you should be making. These compliments, coming from you, make me proud.

Feel free to uh... Use it any time you like, I bet it could stow away on one of your VTOLs... ​Nudge, nudge

Interesting and inventive design.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to fix a docking port Jr. on it, to dock it to a rover (with a large tank of monop) and combine the long distance exploration allowed with the rover to the short distance trips with such flyer.

Thanks, everyone! I really didn't expect such a small craft to get so much attention!

Interesting and inventive design.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to fix a docking port Jr. on it, to dock it to a rover (with a large tank of monop) and combine the long distance exploration allowed with the rover to the short distance trips with such flyer.

I think it would be possible, but it would be easier to use the Claw to refuel it, even if it is a little less realistic. Or, if you're willing to use mods, KAS winches and connector ports would work even better.

With a regular docking port, the biggest problem is finding a place to put it. I know it's big enough, but I have no idea where to put it that wouldn't look weird.

Thanks, everyone! I really didn't expect such a small craft to get so much attention!

Many people seem to love small crafts and landers, I'm one of them too.

Maybe try to fit a Jr port to the bottom, somehow?? Would be the most intuitive place, making for easy docking to rovers and bases and such.

Thanks again for sharing. Small crafts FTW!

I think it would be possible, but it would be easier to use the Claw to refuel it, even if it is a little less realistic. Or, if you're willing to use mods, KAS winches and connector ports would work even better.

With a regular docking port, the biggest problem is finding a place to put it. I know it's big enough, but I have no idea where to put it that wouldn't look weird.

I placed the SAS on top with a battery and the stuff who was before in top was moved elsewhere. And while I rebuilded the Dragonfly, I reduced the parts count by using the probe core as first part and limiting the number of girder used as main chassis.

1446914589-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-39-57.png

1446914632-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-42-34.png

1446914642-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-42-44.png

I'm not satisfied of the antenna positionning, I guess I will place them to deploy to the top like the original. something like this:

1446914946-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-48-25.png

And for parts count wise, I made a "lighter" version with 35 parts (one antenna, 3 girders per arm instead 4)

Edited by Vahal

I placed the SAS on top with a battery and the stuff who was before in top was moved elsewhere. And while I rebuilded the Dragonfly, I reduced the parts count by using the probe core as first part and limiting the number of girder used as main chassis.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/45/1446914589-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-39-57.png

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/45/1446914632-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-42-34.png

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/45/1446914642-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-42-44.png

I'm not satisfied of the antenna positionning, I guess I will place them to deploy to the top like the original. something like this:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/45/1446914946-screenshot-2015-11-07-17-48-25.png

And for parts count wise, I made a "lighter" version with 35 parts (one antenna, 3 girders per arm instead 4)

Hmm, the second SAS is probably unnecessary, there is already one clipped inside the main body. The landing legs could be clipped inside the body like mine to save space as well. The probe core isn't the first part because when designing it, I had originally planned to control it from the seat, but later decided that control from that orientation would be needed if the Dragonfly were to be used to make orbit, if I can remember, I will try and rebuild it with the probe core in mind.

This must be amazing when used at Gilly.

I haven't tried it, but given Gilly's pathetic Gravity, the Dragonfly would probably be ludicrously overpowered.

There is only one SAS on the Mk2, the one you see. I tried a version with beam as arms and if I can reduce the parts count to 27, dV are reduced to 957.

I modified a little bit the Mk2 to 2.1. With no gravity it is a really fun XL EVA pack :sticktongue:

1446918177-screenshot-2015-11-07-18-42-26.png

1446918209-screenshot-2015-11-07-18-40-16.png

1446918207-screenshot-2015-11-07-18-41-08.png

Hope you like it :)

I added a small docking port on the bottom of the flyer. It ruins its sleek lines, but it allows it to dock with stations or surface based launch sites, such as the one in the pictures below.

lNFeBBf.png

nbmplF4.png

PDl3l1Q.png

This launchpad has lots of monopropellant for servicing the Dragonfly, and doesn't have too many parts, so you can cluster two or three together on the Mun pr Minmus to make a Dragonfly base. The problem is I have no idea how to actually get it to the Mun...

I added a small docking port on the bottom of the flyer. It ruins its sleek lines, but it allows it to dock with stations or surface based launch sites, such as the one in the pictures below.

http://i.imgur.com/lNFeBBf.png

http://i.imgur.com/nbmplF4.png

http://i.imgur.com/PDl3l1Q.png

This launchpad has lots of monopropellant for servicing the Dragonfly, and doesn't have too many parts, so you can cluster two or three together on the Mun pr Minmus to make a Dragonfly base. The problem is I have no idea how to actually get it to the Mun...

Right idea, but I think your choice of fuel dump is a little overkill! The FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank will keep that lander going for a looooooooooooooooong time, and be easier to transport to the Mun. You could even stuff the fuel dump and lander inside a Mk3 cargo bay. :)

Cupcake...

Right idea, but I think your choice of fuel dump is a little overkill! The FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank will keep that lander going for a looooooooooooooooong time, and be easier to transport to the Mun. You could even stuff the fuel dump and lander inside a Mk3 cargo bay. :)

Cupcake...

It does appear more practical, but I personally like the look of the Mk3 monopropellant tank better, at least in this particular craft. I will look at making a smaller, more portable version, however.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.