Apollo Mission Recreation (And More!) [Requesting Ground Crew Aid!]

ZooNamedGames

KSP has advanced to a point where mods now meet the needs to run a 100% realistic mission. KSP can now provide us with such things as communication, graphs, charts, failures, and more! So now is the time!.

I would like to perform a 100% realistic Apollo mission (maybe more missions like it) with 3 crew members who will manage specific aspects of the mission (The CMP would manage the aspects of the Command Module, the LMP would manage aspects pertaining to failures of the Lunar Module, etc etc). We will also have a working GROUND crew to assist them. We will even performing training as possible. This will be a LONG duration mission within RSS, so astronauts and Ground Crew can go afk at listed times. The mission will be done on a 1:1 time scale meaning no warp will be used. This will be done over the span of several days.

As it stands, I need FLIGHT crew to fill in the gap in the role! The Capcom will be selected at a later date from the backup Flight crew. It is also desirable to have someone record/livestream the mission as it happens, that person will be known as the PAO, or Public Affairs Officer. As the mission progresses, a Ground Control rotation will be able to be performed as needed. Alt tabbing (going afk) for the astronaut or Ground Control crew will be permitted during certain durations.

trcM61S.png?1

Program Patch By: adsii1970

To be able to become part of the Mission Crew (MC), as a Commander (CDR), Command Module Pilot (CMP), and Lunar Module Pilot (LMP), you must participate in early developments of this project (help and actively participate) and also fill the role specific needs. You must also be able to participate in mission simulations prior to the actual mission.

Role: Commander (CDR)

Flight Objectives: As the CDR you will manage the flight as it progresses and will ultimately make the decisions which could ultimately affect the mission. You will take control should a problem occur on the Command Module or Lunar Module. You will also be part of the lunar landing team.

Role Requirements: You must be readily available during the 78h+ mission as well as have a strong Internet speed. You must also have your Internet setup for port forwarding so that you can transmit all data to the Ground Control Crew.

Role: Command Module Pilot (CMP)

Flight Objectives: You will manage the aspects of the Command Module and any maneuvers, operations or such during the mission. You will be the only member NOT to go to the moon, and as such you will manage communications, specifically during the landing and surface operations. Should any issue arise during the mission, control will be given the CDR however you will have to try to find the best solution to the problem to save the mission and achieve all objectives to the best of your ability.

Role Requirements: You need a strong internet and a commitment to 78h+ mission.

Role: Lunar Module Pilot (LMP)

Flight Objectives: You will manage any lunar and translunar calculations related to burns, as well as assist the commander during landing. Should a problem with the Lunar Module arise during descent or surface operations you will take control of the Lunar Module and try to take whatever action you deem necessary to save the mission and complete all mission objectives.

Role Requirements: You need a strong Internet and a commitment to a 78h+ mission.

Ground Control Roles:

-Flight Director (FD or Flight)

-Capsule Communicator (CapCom)

-Public Affairs Officer (PAO)

-Booster Systems Engineer (Booster) (Launch Only)/ Control Officer (Control) (Landing Only)

-Electrical, Environmental and Consumables Manager (EECOM) (Fused with TELMU)

-Flight Activities Officer (FAO)

-Flight Dynamics Officer (FIDO) (Fused with Guido and GNC)

-Integrated Communications Officer (INCO) (Fused with Network and O&P)

-Retrofire Officer (Retro)

-Range Safety Officer (RSO).

Ground Control (GC) must be available, but not as constant as mission crew. Select members may go completely away during select portions depending on their need. Some roles have also been fused with others based on the similarities of each role. You will require advanced mathematical skills to work for some roles. The Flight Director will be me, ZooNamedGames. So I will only list the other roles. Some roles have also been dropped entirely based on the inability to use them (such as Surgeon). All members must have a microphone of some kind with at least decent quality. We will use either Skype or Steam as the base communication software.

Role: Capsule Communicator (Capcom)

Flight Objectives: Relays all communications to the astronauts onboard in the best way possible.

Role Requirements: Good Internet speeds. Commitment to a 78h+ mission. Capcom members will be selected by weaker astronauts. The more experience, the more you will be used as Capcom.

Role: Public Affairs Officer (PAO)

Flight Objectives: Relays information as the mission progresses to any audience attending. When there is a minimal audience watching and no major events upcoming, you will be allowed to go afk.

Role Requirements: Good Internet speeds. Good speaking skills. Good microphone and recording quality. Ability to record and or stream (preferably both). A strong computer which can stream/record and have KSP on the highest possible graphics for visual effects.

Role: Booster Systems Engineer (Booster) / Control Officer (Control)

Flight Objectives (Booster): Manage the aspects of the booster leading up to, during and after the launch. Should something go wrong you will need to find the best solution to the problem. Your role will be closed once GC has confirmation that the S-IVB stage will collide with the moon. Once Booster is closed, that person will transition into the role of Control.

Flight Objectives (Control): You will manage the lunar descent, and provide all information needed leading up to, during and after the landing and launch of the Ascent stage.

Role Requirement: Good Internet speed. Strong mathematical skills. Lots of time to commit (short recess after launching during the TLI and up to undocking of the LM)..

Role: Electrical, Environmental and Consumables Manager (EECOM) (Manages TELMU)

Flight Objectives: Manages resource consumptions such as fuel, electrical and .food. Notifys Flight if too much or too little of a resource is used. Should an event occur where a resource is borderline, you will need to find a solution which can save the mission and achieve all mission objectives..During lunar activities, you will manage the astronauts resource consumption (air, water, etc) and provide information relating to the duration of the EVA and such.

Role Requirements: Good internet speed. You will not be needed as frequently as some roles, so constant afks are acceptable with Flight's permission. However during the portion on the lunar surface you will be needed more so absences will be reduced.

Role: Flight Activities Officer (FAO)

Flight Activites: Manages all crew activities, especially during the lunar operations. He lists the things needed to be done and priorities them based on importance. Works tightly with EECOM and Capcom. As things work, you may or not be needed at times. However during the lunar operations you will be needed.

Role Requirement: Good Internet speeds..

Role: Flight Dynamics Officer (FIDO) (Fused with Guido and GNC)

Flight Objectives: Manages all control and stabilization systems. Also manages the flight path of the vehicle and any burns. Not required for all operations. When there is no major burn or event, the FIDO may go afk.

Role Requirement: Good Internet speeds. Decent mathematical skills.

Role: Integrated Communications Officer (INCO) (Fused with Network and O&P)

Flight Objectives: Manages and maintains all communications between Mission Control and the spacecraft. This may mean launching an aircraft or marine craft to maintain communication where ground stations are not able to. .Crafts can be provided by Zekes as needed where needed. This role may not be constantly needed, however management will be. As long as communication to ground control stations and back to space are managed, this role is fulfilled.

Role Requirements: Good Internet speeds. Strong computer which is able to handle large part count crafts..

Role: RetroFire Officer (Retro)

Flight Objectives: Manages all burns (post S-IVB) of the spacecrafts and also manages all possibilities of when and how an abort can be done. This role is not needed when a burn is not done..

Role Requirements: Good Internet speeds.

Role: Range Safety Officer (RSO)

Flight Objectives: Manages the launch site and polices launch area (keeping illegal traffic out). In case of booster failure, RSO is responsible for the detonation and destruction of the rocket. Once the LES is jettisoned, this role is completed and not needed past this point.

Role Requirements: Good Internet speeds.

Mods:

Darklight's Mulitplayer (DMP)

Telemachus

Kerbal Mechanics/ Kerbal Launch Failure

Remote Tech

Real Solar System/ Realism Overhaul (and all related mods)

FASA (or other Apollo replicas)

TAC Life Support (RSS config)

(for PAO only) Realism Visual Enhancements

and more to be added as needed...

(Maybe) Internal Navigation (or whatever it's called)

Desired to have:

kOS coding to replicate Apollo CM computer

Kerbal Health (fatigue, sickness, etc)

more to be added as needed...

Mission Crew:

Commander: SparkyFox*

Command Module Pilot:

Lunar Module Pilot: the_patzer*

Mission Control:

Flight Director: ZooNamedGames

Booster: Dman979

Capsule Communicator: TBD- Not for applying. Will be selected from backup flight crew. To become Capcom you need to be on the FLIGHT CREW (Astronaut.)

Public Affairs Officer: CliftonM, adsii1970 (art director, patch artist)

Electrical, Environmental and Consumables Manager: Raincrafter

Flight Activities Officer: Gaarst

Flight Dynamics Officer: Mk3424

Integrated Communications Officer: Wellitexplodedagain, G'th

Retrofire Officer: Legendary Emu

Range Safety Officer: FishInferno*

*Members who are uncertain as to whether or not they can actually commit. These roles are considered open.

adsii1970 said:

GpleGoS.png?1 For those who are members of the Flight Crew. (The patch area can be changed to represent current mission patch)

BHEeYC5.png?1 For those who are members of Mission Control.

fOCsCJu.png?1 For those (I believe I saw one) who is part of the promotional team.

That's all I have for now, I have to wait for people to join. Should the mission fail during launch, we will try again the following day or whenever possible for all the members. All suggest all to try, because even if you fail, you could still participate. I also suggest that you read up on your Apollo flight and mission information as we will be using a lot of it.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

When would this be starting? I would love to participate, but I have school and I couldn't be available at the rate needed, but I may be able to do the RSO depending on the date.

Great idea btw:)

No set date. This could happen over thanksgiving break if that helps anyone...

I've had this idea for AGES. I just never got around to it until now.

- - - Updated - - -

Advertising to friends would be nice, getting this out.

Since I need publicity, mods PLEASE DO NOT MOVE YET. I need the attention from the heavy traffic of this section to get me started!

No set date. This could happen over thanksgiving break if that helps anyone...

I've had this idea for AGES. I just never got around to it until now.

I actually had a similar idea, but I never made it into reality because I figured it would be too hard to organize. Taps to you for taking initiative:)

And IME its better to just set a date instead of trying to find one hat works for everyone, that way the people who sign up already know if they can do it or not.

I actually had a similar idea, but I never made it into reality because I figured it would be too hard to organize. Taps to you for taking initiative:)

And IME its better to just set a date instead of trying to find one hat works for everyone, that way the people who sign up already know if they can do it or not.

I Initially tried to launch a Gemini style mission (you can find it in my recently started threads),

As to the date, I still say I don't want to set one. Getting the people is hard enough, I dont want to scare them off with a date they can't meet. Besides, with simulations and crew assignments, getting mods to work. I can't pick a date, it would either be too far or too close. Best to just wait.

I wanna be Capcom. :3

But fun times with Megaman aside, I went to space camp once and enjoyed being Capcom.

- - - Updated - - -

I Initially tried to launch a Gemini style mission (you can find it in my recently started threads)

So that's what happened...

True, I guess you can put me down for RSO, but I may not be able to make the date

I'll mark you as a possible RSO. Done.

- - - Updated - - -

I wanna be Capcom. :3

But fun times with Megaman aside, I went to space camp once and enjoyed being Capcom.

- - - Updated - - -

So that's what happened...

Capcoms are the only positions that you can't directly apply for since they are to be filled by the backup mission crew.

It was a sad day :(

You will be needed for every launch simulation, you up for it? PLUS you've got to work as Control.

Nah, I was just making fun of misspelled "booster". Sorry for wasting your time. Now, if you were to start with Sputnik or such, I would like to give it a try, but I don't have time for week long missions.

Nah, I was just making fun of misspelled "booster". Sorry for wasting your time. Now, if you were to start with Sputnik or such, I would like to give it a try, but I don't have time for week long missions.

Well as booster* you will be able to leave during the unessential bits. Most roles are only needed for short durations.

Yeah, your role is the biggest exception. I was tempted to not add the role since its so unneeded. The Booster can do the same thing and render your role redundant. But I didn't.

Haha, thanks, Ill just say "go" during roll call and do nothing else XD

Haha, thanks, Ill just say "go" during roll call and do nothing else XD

That'll be the Go/NoGo poll, and if there's a booaster failure or some failure which requires the use of the LES you have to detonate the vehicle. You must also police the area (make sure no unwanted users sneak into the server and more importantly the launch area).

U gonna timewarp the boring parts? Would reduce your participation requirements and increase your pool of participants. Seems to me that a real time mission would be best suited for a physical camp where local space themed activities could be planned before getting everyone back to a real physical mission control room.

Edited by inigma

Just a question, though. Your requirements for all of the crew ( ground and flight one ) include "good internet speeds" . Given that most of the ground crew tasks just include Telemachus and a open channel for audio ( so we're talking at worse of 400 Kb/s ), maybe requiring good internet speeds is not that needed ;)

That said, have you considered to stream it? I'm pretty sure KSP TV would love something like this :D