Apollo Mission Recreation (And More!) [Requesting Ground Crew Aid!]

ZooNamedGames

There's a launch this Saturday! We will be launching a Comsat into LEO for the following series of missions to the moon. Each one will require the same skills, dedication and work as the real manned launch will need. So this will be a practice, so feel free to show.

Also, if you are going to stream this, anybody/whoever, please let me know so you get credit and can get good material and get everything you need to see/hear. Lastly add it to the KSP streaming calendar.

So what's my role in the unmanned launches

Ugh. There's got to be a mod with a S1 in it. Besides, did you look in the CRAFTS folder? Since there's not likely going to be S1 specific parts. The whole Saturn rocket family are just simple derivatives of the Saturn V. Each rocket taking one or more peices from the SV. This is obvious since Von Braun was more partial to incremental test launches, where you'd launch each segment individually and see how they perform, unlike the Apollo 4 mission which was essentially a full up launch test with the whole Saturn V.

But will the mod work in Realism Overhaul?

The Saturn I and the Saturn IB only share the first stage (the one with 8 H-1 engines, and a 150 second burn time). The Saturn IB and the Saturn V only share one stage (the S-IVB, with 1 J-2 engine and a 480 second burn time). The Saturn I and Saturn V do not share any components.

The Saturn I was a test of the S-I first stage and the S-IV second stage. The second stage was then changed to the S-IVB, and used on the Saturn IB for testing. Finally, the S-IVB became the third stage for the Saturn V.

Since I've looked though FASA and couldn't find and S-IV parts, I suggest that we launch a S-IVB. There may be a mod to get the S-I, but as I said above, it might not work in RO.

But will the mod work in Realism Overhaul?

The Saturn I and the Saturn IB only share the first stage (the one with 8 H-1 engines, and a 150 second burn time). The Saturn IB and the Saturn V only share one stage (the S-IVB, with 1 J-2 engine and a 480 second burn time). The Saturn I and Saturn V do not share any components.

The Saturn I was a test of the S-I first stage and the S-IV second stage. The second stage was then changed to the S-IVB, and used on the Saturn IB for testing. Finally, the S-IVB became the third stage for the Saturn V.

Since I've looked though FASA and couldn't find and S-IV parts, I suggest that we launch a S-IVB. There may be a mod to get the S-I, but as I said above, it might not work in RO.

Fine. We'll go with the S-1B.

Ok, since I don't feel like sleeping tonight I'm going to try to fight exhaustion and write a full mission planner for our mission detailing all actions and activities within the nominal margin. I will do this for every role, including myself. In that planner I will include rotations which will occur every 6-8 hours.

If I feel up to it, I might write a mission planner for every abort point. Then if I STILL have excess time I might write procedures for various failures.

To stay in the mood, I'm going to listen to the Apollo 13 mission audio transcripts thanks to an awesome YTber by the name of lunarmodule9 .

Edited by ZooNamedGames

that's cool that they have the transcripts.

What is the mission we are launching? Does it have an IRL equivalent?

Also, here's the payload I designed. It masses about 9,013 kg.

http://www./download/vycabvkiu7ewap2/Geosat__Transfer_stage.craft

Uses FASA, RealFuels, and the whole Realism Overhaul set of mods.

There isn't a real mission equalivant for this mission since the Saturn was never used for a satellite deployment.

Awesome, we'll launch it at 2pm on Saturday.

So, seeing as I'm booster, do you want me to mate the final payload to the S-IB? My satellite+ transfer stage doesn't connect right without some things, like a Procedural Parts tank (empty, or with some lead ballast for weight).

If you give me the payload by 1700 GMT (1200 EST) I can have it back to you by 2200 (1700 EST).

So, seeing as I'm booster, do you want me to mate the final payload to the S-IB? My satellite+ transfer stage doesn't connect right without some things, like a Procedural Parts tank (empty, or with some lead ballast for weight).

If you give me the payload by 1700 GMT (1200 EST) I can have it back to you by 2200 (1700 EST).

Go ahead. Sooner the better.

http://www./download/ggb5odta6zrzuoy/Geosat__Transfer_stage_S-IB.craft

this is my Satellite, the transfer stage to get it to Geostationary orbit, and the S-IB. Besides FASA, Realism Overhaul, and its required mods, it uses Procedural Parts.

Action Groups

1: Toggle solar panels

2: Toggle antennae

3: Toggle satellite RCS system- press twice on launch to disable until decoupled

4: Toggle transfer stage RCS system- press twice on launch to disable until S-IVB burnout

5: Toggle S-IVB Flight pack engine

6: Toggle J-2 engine

7:

8:

9:

0:

Looking forward to Saturday!

Why would a satellite need an abort? It doesn't have parachutes?

edit: If anything, I'd say make Action Group 0 engine cut off for the first stage.

The abort isn't meant to save a crew, it needs to be designed so if the booster were to fail, explode, etc, that is can be safely managed.

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone going to stream the launch?

ATM, we have no one open to stream the launch. If you know someone then please please tell us!

Also, this isn't The launch, this is just a Comsat launch for testing the launch crew.

The abort isn't meant to save a crew, it needs to be designed so if the booster were to fail, explode, etc, that is can be safely managed.

ATM, we have no one open to stream the launch. If you know someone then please please tell us!

Also, this isn't The launch, this is just a Comsat launch for testing the launch crew.

So, what I would recommend is to add some small SRBs to the booster that will fire into the tanks in case of an abort, so they explode.

Also, since this thing can go to GEO, and this is just a test, I think that we can use timewarp without ruining the feel this launch. Otherwise, our 1-hour launch becomes a 24 hour affair.

So, what I would recommend is to add some small SRBs to the booster that will fire into the tanks in case of an abort, so they explode.

Also, since this thing can go to GEO, and this is just a test, I think that we can use timewarp without ruining the feel this launch. Otherwise, our 1-hour launch becomes a 24 hour affair.

Once in orbit, we will perform one final systems check, then we all can leave our stations as you so desire. This mission takes a max of 1 hour. Since all we're managing is launch, OI, and any major maneuvers.

We won't need time warp.

Once in orbit, we will perform one final systems check, then we all can leave our stations as you so desire. This mission takes a max of 1 hour. Since all we're managing is launch, OI, and any major maneuvers.

We won't need time warp.

1. Are we going to Geostationary Orbit? The payload has more than enough ∆V for it.

2. If so, does the burn to GTO count as a major maneuver?

3. And does the planar correction/transfer to geostationary orbit burn count as a major maneuver?

Each burn, if we're doing them, is about 1.8 Km/s of ∆V.

1. Are we going to Geostationary Orbit? The payload has more than enough ∆V for it.

2. If so, does the burn to GTO count as a major maneuver?

3. And does the planar correction/transfer to geostationary orbit burn count as a major maneuver?

Each burn, if we're doing them, is about 1.8 Km/s of ∆V.

1. If that's what the probes made for, then ofc. Your payload engineer, I'll put it where you tell me.

2. It is a major maneuver.

3. Again yes.

You tell me, can the booster/payload make it to the planned destination? We'll follow whatever plan you have for us.

-snip-

If that's the case, perhaps crashing the thing into the ocean would be a good idea. Maybe even decoupling the first stage and boosting the second stage into the ocean to minimize damage, if it's possible.

If that's the case, perhaps crashing the thing into the ocean would be a good idea. Maybe even decoupling the first stage and boosting the second stage into the ocean to minimize damage, if it's possible.

All right then, You won't need to speak to booster and EECOM To make sure that works with the flight plan and the mission.