Apollo Mission Recreation (And More!) [Requesting Ground Crew Aid!]

ZooNamedGames

Hmmm... If EECOM and RSO are full, I'll probably have time to do FIDO night shift - of course, once again, this is dependent on scheduling. One question, however - does the FIDO calculate all maneuvers by hand and pass on the details to both the FD and CAPCOM for relay to the astronauts? If not, what method is used to calculate burns/maneuvers?

P/S: My time zone is GMT+8.

Calculating by hand would be impractical. I would imagine that you would first calculate an ideal path for the rocket to take, based on the characteristics of the launch vehicle and mission scenario, and would plan out the burns needed for that trajectory, based on everything being ideal. Then, when we launch, you would inform us of the burn characteristics (such as ∆V, amount prograde/retro, Radial/antiradial, normal/antinormal, when on MET the burns are, duration, which engine to use (when we have a choice between the SPS and RCS), when to start burn, when to end), and plot it ideally on the map. After each burn, you would update the trajectory to reflect reality, and if necessary plot any more burns to get back on course.

The tools you would use are up to you, but hand calculations (while realistic) might take too much time.

So, to sum up- calculate an ideal flight from Liftoff to splashdown, and then plot burns to match the trajectory, and burns to correct as needed.

That's how I understood it, at least for trajectories. The other part would be to make sure that the craft is pointing the correct direction.

But ZNG can provide a better explanation.

Also, I'm making a spreadsheet with the different launch vehicles, their motors, burn times, stages, etc. That's my job, right?

Have you thought about making this a charity livestream?

Why not ? I personally see 2 problems with it so far:

1. Depending on the PAO, and audience we get for the mission, making it a charity stream might just not be worth the trouble.

2. So far this is an amateur project, bringing money into the thing was not planned so far, and some new problems may arise.

I don't really know how these work, so don't quote me on that.

Also, then again, this will depend on the PAO, and we cannot really settle on such decisions at this point.

But this would be a great thing if we manage to do it!

Calculating by hand would be impractical. I would imagine that you would first calculate an ideal path for the rocket to take, based on the characteristics of the launch vehicle and mission scenario, and would plan out the burns needed for that trajectory, based on everything being ideal. Then, when we launch, you would inform us of the burn characteristics (such as ∆V, amount prograde/retro, Radial/antiradial, normal/antinormal, when on MET the burns are, duration, which engine to use (when we have a choice between the SPS and RCS), when to start burn, when to end), and plot it ideally on the map. After each burn, you would update the trajectory to reflect reality, and if necessary plot any more burns to get back on course.

The tools you would use are up to you, but hand calculations (while realistic) might take too much time.

So, to sum up- calculate an ideal flight from Liftoff to splashdown, and then plot burns to match the trajectory, and burns to correct as needed.

That's how I understood it, at least for trajectories. The other part would be to make sure that the craft is pointing the correct direction.

But ZNG can provide a better explanation.

Also, I'm making a spreadsheet with the different launch vehicles, their motors, burn times, stages, etc. That's my job, right?

As booster yes. You manage all aspects of how the booster works, angle of ascent etc etc. Then Ofc you switch to control.

- - - Updated - - -

ZNG, Can you add people to the steam group and tell me what their username is?

I'm trying to manage as many as I can- and the only person I know with a different forum and Steam name is Inducing or Wellitexplodedagain.

Isn't the Steam group open ? So that anyone can join it ?

No, they need an invite.

Maybe, idk. Ask Dman, he's the owner. I should be an admin.

I think you are an admin- I made you an officer?

Also, I was describing the role of FIDO, I thought. Don't I design the booster and manage it, not plan the trajectory?

No, they need an invite.

I think you are an admin- I made you an officer?

Also, I was describing the role of FIDO, I thought. Don't I design the booster and manage it, not plan the trajectory?

Maybe, I haven't checked. Your little brother made me mod. But I need more for announcements and such.

Booster does not design the booster since its already made- we're using FASA or that other SV dedicated mod. There's no need to create. Booster tracks the status if the rocket before, leading up to and after the launch.

FIDO manages navigation and such, since retro's more into the burns.

- - - Updated - - -

Dman,can you add me to the group?

Same Steam nickname.

;)

I kept meaning to adding you D:

Maybe, I haven't checked. Your little brother made me mod. But I need more for announcements and such.

You should be able to now.

Booster does not design the booster since its already made- we're using FASA or that other SV dedicated mod. There's no need to create. Booster tracks the status if the rocket before, leading up to and after the launch.

If we're doing a practice mission, though, wouldn't we need a custom booster? Say, if we're launching A-001, we'd need the Little Joe II.

If we're doing a practice mission, though, wouldn't we need a custom booster? Say, if we're launching A-001, we'd need the Little Joe II.

What you do to practice in your own is your decision. But the first and only practice launch will be done with Apollo 6 and 8. Both of those missions use a Saturn V, and worst case scenerio, we use a Saturn 1B.

Maybe if we do a Saturn IB test launch? It's not gonna be manned but it will come close to a saturn V launch...

Hmm... I'll consider a suborbital launch of a S1B sometime soon. Just launch up and down. That's all.

If we can afford launching a Saturn IB for fun, we could at least pack 2 or 3 com-sats in it and put them to orbit to avoid further troubles.

If we can afford launching a Saturn IB for fun, we could at least pack 2 or 3 com-sats in it and put them to orbit to avoid further troubles.

We could retrofit a Pegasus satellite to be used as a com sat, but i don't think that it's gonna be necessary since there where only tracking station coms at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(satellite)

New OFFICIAL plan. We will perform launches every Saturday at 2pm EST of comm sats into LEO for the mission, so the longer we take the more we have in orbit. We will use the Titan series of rockets or the Saturn 1 for these missions.

Who can show? I want to get the final time and date for every weekly launch set. Note- once in LEO, we can break. This will be like a 60m mission if that. It will require about the same amount of work.

New OFFICIAL plan. We will perform launches every Saturday at 2pm EST of comm sats into LEO for the mission, so the longer we take the more we have in orbit. We will use the Titan series of rockets or the Saturn 1 for these missions.

Who can show? I want to get the final time and date for every weekly launch set. Note- once in LEO, we can break. This will be like a 60m mission if that. It will require about the same amount of work.

I can show up, although I doubt I will be that useful for sats.

(That's 19:00 GMT)

I can show up, although I doubt I will be that useful for sats.

(That's 19:00 GMT)

I'd still like to see you show just in case someone is missing and we need someone to manage the empty role.

- - - Updated - - -

I will probably be on station.

Awesome. Then set the clock for 2pm EST- and counting.

Since your the best person I know for this- Mk3424, can you actually run the mission? As is, stream your KSP with the FASA rocket? Since I know you can stream, and your setup for port forwarding. So your the best option (as of yet)...

You up for it?

Also, we will launch a modified satellite (custom made) into LEO with the S1. Final Decision.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I'd still like to see you show just in case someone is missing and we need someone to manage the empty role.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome. Then set the clock for 2pm EST- and counting.

Since your the best person I know for this- Mk3424, can you actually run the mission? As is, stream your KSP with the FASA rocket? Since I know you can stream, and your setup for port forwarding. So your the best option (as of yet)...

You up for it?

Also, we will launch a modified satellite (custom made) into LEO with the S1. Final Decision.

That's possible, would you mind if i use my own install? Or should i build something with the mods you are suggesting?

But i might shut down the public server temporarely to improve connection performance.

I will probably be able to make it, pending some successful mod installations.

What booster will we use? And what will the satellite's mass be?