[QUESTION] Fuel tank balance

CobaltWolf

Something that's been eating at me. I figured I'd ask before I start trying to figure it out on my own and probably screw the math up.

What are the stock ratios for volume of the fuel tank (diameter x height), dry mass, and the volume of fuel (ie amount of LF and oxidizer)? And for extra fun, price. I want to make sure my fuel tanks are balanced properly but I haven't worked out the numbers yet.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Fuel_tank

Tiny = 0.625 m in diameter

Small = 1.25 m in diameter

Large = 2.5 m in diameter

Extra large = 3.75 m in diameter

And heights are half or whole-number multiples of their own diameters.

Ah! That certainly makes figuring this out a lot easier. I'll have to crunch the numbers later and post my findings.

• 8 months later...
On 7-11-2015 at 8:00 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Something that's been eating at me. I figured I'd ask before I start trying to figure it out on my own and probably screw the math up.

What are the stock ratios for volume of the fuel tank (diameter x height), dry mass, and the volume of fuel (ie amount of LF and oxidizer)? And for extra fun, price. I want to make sure my fuel tanks are balanced properly but I haven't worked out the numbers yet.

Ksp stock drymass/wetmass ratio for LiquidFuel/Oxidiser is 1:8

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 11:13 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Ah! That certainly makes figuring this out a lot easier. I'll have to crunch the numbers later and post my findings.

I actually have a huge spreadsheet full of things like weight, fuel capacity, and cost of parts that I'm using to keep my parts in line with stock (and a few mods) values. It's based off of an old google doc I found on here so I don't know how accurate some of it is but I've been trying to update things when I see discrepancies. It's not quite mathing out the actual volume of my tanks but it helps let me know when things become ridiculous.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.