[Kopernicus] [1.0.5] Toy Solar System v1.0.2: Fixed atmo shaders

Whirligig Girl

Toy Solar System is a mod that makes all of the planets 1/10 scale. It makes everything adorable and easy and can be a fun distraction! The mod requires Kopernicus to work.

Download 1.0.2 at GitHub

MfZKTU2.png

Above pictures are somewhat outdated. The only difference is that the black cutoff on the atmospheres-from-ground is much less noticeable.

This started out based on Metaphor's original work for the RSS plugin, but now there is not a whole lot left of Metaphor's work on account of almost all the values being changed.

The planets and moons are not completely finished, but they do work for the most part and are not insanely hedgehoggy. This was surprisingly difficult for some of the planets, particularly those that do not have heightmaps. The mod also includes some custom textures because the changes made look too different from stock. However, the textures are all 1024 sized (as opposed to 2048 sized) and some are even 512 for the smallest bodies. Not all planets have had replaced scaledspace textures, but Moho, Kerbin, Duna, Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol, and Eeloo do.

Note on parachutes!

I've only tested the aerodynamics with FAR, so parachutes might not work so well with stock aerodynamics. I will not fix this, it's not broken. Parachutes really ought not work well in a situation like this, but that said, they do work, at least with FAR installed. You just have to be careful with them, and maybe use engines as well as parachutes for landings. But you can pull off a parachute landing. If not, I very much encourage you to make your return vehicles into airplanes/gliders! EDIT: After experimentation, stock aero makes parachute landings very very hard. Just use FAR or use rocket+parachute. Remember that Drogue chutes can be deployed at higher speeds.

Videos and Pictures

Note: Scott Manley was playing the beta version. The only differences from what was shown in the video and the current version is that the sun's flare texture is properly scaled (it was always the correct size and temperature, just not the correct flare size) and timewarp altitudes have been fixed.

The Kerbals who exist in this tiny scale system are of course known as Decakerbals

Sigma88 said:
or if you prefer, the ratio "kerbals/world" is 10 times higher, [hence, deca instead of deci.]

N-Scale (1/100 scale) solar system:

Spoiler

Super duper buggy, unfinished, and untested, the N-Scale Solar System is a little experiment that I made. Build off of it and make your own 1/100 scale mod if you want, or just play around in the ridiculously tiny environment. I will not be supporting this, so don't submit any bug reports or ask for features. I'm presenting it as-is. You have been warned.

Download

Edited by GregroxMun

Great job getting this into the main release page! Also, I'm going to be doing a career mode series of this on my YouTube channel, if that's okay. As for suggestions I don't really have any except for adjusted contracts and fixing the atmosphere cutoff thing.

I read somewhere that you were planning on tweaking the atmosphere settings to get parachutes working again. I slapped together a quick fix that works well for a gentle reentry at least, but gravity turns to low orbit are a bit out of the question (note that I'm not using the curve variables at all, so they've just been set to zero):

ToySolarSystem.cfg at line 112 (Kerbin):

[code]@Atmosphere{
altitude = 30000
pressureCurve{
key = 0 101.325 0 0
key = 7000 58.7101 0 0
key = 10000 31.9597 0 0
key = 15000 16.2569 0 0
key = 20000 8.1809 0 0
key = 25000 2.1065 0 0
key = 29000 0.5737 0 0
key = 30000 0 0 0
}}[/code]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='SmashingKirby148']For some reason having a ship with over 30 parts with this mod makes the game lag. Are there others mods that aren't compatible with yours?

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

But oddly enough, time warping stops the lag, having it return once time warp is turned off.[/QUOTE]

Might be the wrong Kopernicus version.

[quote name='RA3236']I might as well ask now, why did you put the KSP version number to 1.0.5 rather than 1.0.4 on KerbalStuff? Kopernicus is not compatible with 1.0.5 due to thermal and hydro changes.[/QUOTE]

Because I'm a horrible, terrible person. Like, I eat babies and use their toys to fuel a giant kitten-enslaving robot. Just a real bad guy.

Well now it [I]is[/I] compatible.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way this could be made to be 1/2 the size or 1/4 the size instead of 1/10th the size?

1/10th the size is so small it excessively messes with a lot of scale such as runway sizes.

p.s. is there a way I can add this with a config hack?  Maybe donate it back to your source repo for this project as a second config option?

Edited by Ruedii
correction

2 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Is there a way this could be made to be 1/2 the size or 1/4 the size instead of 1/10th the size?

1/10th the size is so small it excessively messes with a lot of scale such as runway sizes.

p.s. is there a way I can add this with a config hack?  Maybe donate it back to your source repo for this project as a second config option?

although i hate to post about another mod in this thread im sure greg woul forgive me this one time. Try looking at this mod that will let you scale to whatever scale you like

Edited by KillAshley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Grand Teki said:

@GregroxMun, will you update the mod to 1.2.2 or 1.3?

Have you tried it? It's just configs, so it should work. If not, just go get Sigma Dimensions and do a 1/10 scale patch.

Yeah I've considered rebooting the project a few times, but I never got past the earliest phases.

Edited by GregroxMun

5 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Have you tried it? It's just configs, so it should work. If not, just go get Sigma Dimensions and do a 1/10 scale patch.

Yeah I've considered rebooting the project a few times, but I never got past the earliest phases.

Okay!

• 3 weeks later...