No offense to Porkjet but I think it's Ven's turn to shine

I like Ven's rocket parts a lot. His cockpits, wings and control surfaces (exception to the basic fin which is pretty ugly in stock), basically anything that replaces PorkJet's stuff isn't quite as good as what we have in stock.

However, his fuel tanks, his rocket engines, the science equipment, solar panels and such... those are all beautiful in his pack.

Edited by Alshain

I have my doubts Ven's style seems hard to match if it was made the standard the modding field might dry up.

EDIT: meanwhile Nova skilo has said that TANTARES is more stock than stock. BEALE4ROCKETOVERHAULER! praise the loaf!

I still think Ven is still the best candidate and I know he'll come up with something. Yeah I just hope Squad hire someone that represent the rocket parts side of things. No offense to plane players but if you'll look at the looks of the planes parts and vab/sph compared to rocket parts, you know that the rocket parts looks department are getting left out in all of this development, and lately in the development seems to be plane-bias, I just hope there is one person in the dev team that is a rocket player to represent us.

I still think Ven is still the best candidate and I know he'll come up with something. Yeah I just hope Squad hire someone that represent the rocket parts side of things. No offense to plane players but if you'll look at the looks of the planes parts and vab/sph compared to rocket parts, you know that the rocket parts looks department are getting left out in all of this development, and lately in the development seems to be plane-bias, I just hope there is one person in the dev team that is a rocket player to represent us.

Honestly there is no reason to discount porkjet especially since keeping the same author will insure a better level of artistic consistency.

There is also no reason to create this artificial schism between "rocket players" and "plane players" Porkjet is a contractor and was turned loose by the devs to make what he wanted and what he choose was to finish the job he started with the plane parts before moving on to rockets, and we have no right to criticize this decision we should be grateful they are eventually being overhauled at all. Remember these part overhauls are a bonus if there was no porkjet there would be no overhauls cause the devs would all be focusing on 1.1 your feelings that rockets are getting the short end of the stick are unfortunately misinformed and misplaced.

The one problem KSP has in the art department is aesthetic.

Specifically, it has an an uncoordinated aesthetic due to the multitude of part authors who leave their own indelible mark on the game.

As much as I like the majority of Ven's parts, the game really needs to stick to a single primary artist for parts. Minor differences in shading, textures and 'workflow' will eventually contribute to undermining a cohesive aesthetic.

In short, I have faith that Porkjet will make this game shine.

Honestly there is no reason to discount porkjet especially since keeping the same author will insure a better level of artistic consistency.

There is also no reason to create this artificial schism between "rocket players" and "plane players" Porkjet is a contractor and was turned loose by the devs to make what he wanted and what he choose was to finish the job he started with the plane parts before moving on to rockets, and we have no right to criticize this decision we should be grateful they are eventually being overhauled at all. Remember these part overhauls are a bonus if there was no porkjet there would be no overhauls cause the devs would all be focusing on 1.1 your feelings that rockets are getting the short end of the stick are unfortunately misinformed and misplaced.

"schism" I have to look that up. There is no different meaning to what I'm saying, It is what it is "plane players" are players who plays with airplane and that's that and that will be great if the rocket part will be revamp, I didn't know that, Squad doesn't really mention it that much and we all have the right to criticize the looks of the rockets at least because quite frankly it is not good and rockets are really getting the short end here and there's nothing wrong with that, seeing that Porkjet is an airplane guy.

- - - Updated - - -

The one problem KSP has in the art department is aesthetic.

Specifically, it has an an uncoordinated aesthetic due to the multitude of part authors who leave their own indelible mark on the game.

As much as I like the majority of Ven's parts, the game really needs to stick to a single primary artist for parts. Minor differences in shading, textures and 'workflow' will eventually contribute to undermining a cohesive aesthetic.

In short, I have faith that Porkjet will make this game shine.

Will porkjet really revamp the rocket parts? If he does then that's great. What I'm saying is, in my opinion Ven will be the best for this, heck even Necrobones can qualify for this, But I really think that the rocket parts looks have been left out while other aspect are improving. We need someone to have it updated and polished to be in line with the modern ksp

"schism" I have to look that up. There is no different meaning to what I'm saying, It is what it is "plane players" are players who plays with airplane and that's that and that will be great if the rocket part will be revamp, I didn't know that, Squad doesn't really mention it that much and we all have the right to criticize the looks of the rockets at least because quite frankly it is not good and rockets are really getting the short end here and there's nothing wrong with that, seeing that Porkjet is an airplane guy.

Perhaps you should have done more research before throwing around accusations of rockets getting the short stick. They have said several times essentially after every plane part reveal that the rocket revamp is coming after the plane revamp is done. The simple fact of the matter is having started planes they can't leave them half done. What if porkjet leaves them as you are proposing he does? If that happened before planes were done it would create another division in style that their employment of porkjet for these revamps was trying to resolve, and so to at least insure that any division that may occur is as clean as possible they must progress through clear milestones the next of which being finishing planes entirely. They are progressing about this very reasonably and logically it's certain people's unwillingness to read that is perpetuating this attitude that the devs are really so dumb as to actually focus exclusively on planes with no intention of doing the same to rockets so I move that this thread is irrelevant. It was started on misinformed assumptions and its request for a rocket revamp is already well in the works there is no real need to further discussion other than to gush incessantly over ven's impressive revamp.

Why not both?

PorkJet does incredible job at remodelling the parts. I'm a bit afraid if there were two people working on remaking the parts it wouldn't be consistent. But if they somehow unified their style it might speed things up.

And tankbutts would be great.

I don't really think someone from squad mention that "yes we are updating the rocket parts" No I don't suggest porkjet leaving unfinished work but I suggest that after porjet is done, maybe it's another rocket-centric dev that will replace. If squad can afford both then that's great, IF porkjet is doing both then that's great. This is not about Ven's revamp., that hoojiwana guy can do it too. Squad hasn't really confirmed yet if they are revamp or (polish/retexture as I suggest). The rocket parts are getting the short stick (for now) and there's nothing wrong with that, I just suggest that the rocket parts have been left out compared to the looks of other objects from the game and maybe Squad will target this next.

- - - Updated - - -

"He may" Let's just hope for the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not both?

PorkJet does incredible job at remodelling the parts. I'm a bit afraid if there were two people working on remaking the parts it wouldn't be consistent. But if they somehow unified their style it might speed things up.

And tankbutts would be great.

It can, they are creative people. If squad can afford both, then that's great, If porkjet's doing that on it's own, that is okay too for uniformity of the looks

- - - Updated - - -

Hoojiwana textures is closer to stock here

Gotta agree Hoojiwana is really good at texturing too. But if the three of them were working on the parts the work should be somehow split. Maybe PJ could work on tanks, Hoojiwana on IVAs and Ven on engines, or the other way around. I think that would eliminate the possibility of hurting the stock and making it look inconsistent like it was in the past when 3+ people were working on texturing, IVAs and whatever at the same time. That's why rocket parts look so weird now and that's why PJ has to redo them.

Gotta agree Hoojiwana is really good at texturing too. But if the three of them were working on the parts the work should be somehow split. Maybe PJ could work on tanks, Hoojiwana on IVAs and Ven on engines, or the other way around. I think that would eliminate the possibility of hurting the stock and making it look inconsistent like it was in the past, when 3+ people were working on texturing, IVAs and whatever at the same time. That's why rocket parts look so weird now and that's why PJ has to redo them now.

Yes Hoojiwana and Porkjet combination is most likely. I think there is still no concrete decision to polish the rocket parts, we just have to wait post-1.1 what will be the next priorities for Squad.

I have my doubts Ven's style seems hard to match if it was made the standard the modding field might dry up.

EDIT: meanwhile Nova skilo has said that TANTARES is more stock than stock. BEALE4ROCKETOVERHAULER! praise the loaf!

I think Beale's style, while very standardized and pretty, is too grey. I find it kinda boring with all those flat colours.

I don't think consistency would be an issue if other artists were brought on board, the process isn't that someone works on a piece in solitude and hands it in, there are multiple stages in the design process.

I like the current graphics, and like any visual thing they can be taken to the next level- the question is how to balance aesthetics with performance. That's something Porkjet needs to consider that modders don't necessarily have to.

I don't think consistency would be an issue if other artists were brought on board, the process isn't that someone works on a piece in solitude and hands it in, there are multiple stages in the design process.

I like the current graphics, and like any visual thing they can be taken to the next level- the question is how to balance aesthetics with performance. That's something Porkjet needs to consider that modders don't necessarily have to.

Ven's has a lower memory profile than Stock. He is way better are re-using textures than Nova was and even PorkJet doesn't compare.

A request, can the OP go edit the opening message to the thread and add some links?

Everything that everyone has written in the thread makes this "Ven's stuff" sound amazing, but those of us who haven't been fortunate enough to experience it yet may like to go take a look at what all the fuss is about. And maybe grab some pretty mods. :)

A request, can the OP go edit the opening message to the thread and add some links?

Everything that everyone has written in the thread makes this "Ven's stuff" sound amazing, but those of us who haven't been fortunate enough to experience it yet may like to go take a look at what all the fuss is about. And maybe grab some pretty mods. :)

Ven's Stock Part Revamp

The idea that we have to wait for all possible plane parts to be awesome before rocket parts is pretty absurd. The continued release of shiny, new plane parts, makes the frankly terrible looking rocket parts look even worse.

[quote name='tater']The idea that we have to wait for all possible plane parts to be awesome before rocket parts is pretty absurd. The continued release of shiny, new plane parts, makes the frankly terrible looking rocket parts look even worse.[/QUOTE]

That's because PorkJet specializes in plane parts. They hired him to redo those first. Otherwise we would get that MK3 Choo-Choo cockpit. As I said before: He's the only guy rworking the parts right now (AFAIK). When he's done doing that he might redo the rocket parts. If there was another person working on those I'm afraid we would again have more than one art style AKA The Stock Soup (pretty much what we have now).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.