[1.0.5/1.1.x] Contract Pack: The K-Files 1.1.1.2 (29/04/16)

severedsolo

9 hours ago, SpaceNomad said:

Yes, the contract was picked up before 1.9.2.

I now finished Episode 1, so let's hope in Episode 2 they will interfere less ;)

A few comments to Episode 1:

• "Load Mulder Kerman on the launchpad." is a bit misleading since this is clearly a job for planes. (Admittedly, this probably only lead to confusion because I was struck by the bug that Mulder was not recognized on board.)
  • When sending Mulder out to the "weather balloon", I was expecting some immediate reaction and was suspecting "yet another bug" when that did not come. Only after some fiddling I saw, that it triggered a countdown. Maybe insert another dialog window hinting at the countdown ("Now this looks interesting! Give me some time to take samples." or something like that)

Oh yes. Originally the countdown wasn't there (because I didn't want it to be too similar to the second mission) - you were supposed to fly out there, pick him up, and bring him back. I couldn't build a plane capable of doing it though... so I thought it was a bit unfair to expect others to! I suck at building planes. SP+ just about lets me slap together a Mk ii plane that will get to wherever I need to be. Just don't ask me to land the thing without chutes.

Good catch on the "launchpad" thing - I should make that a bit more generic.

Feedback noted and fixed. I've also started work on episode 7.

Edited by severedsolo

Downloading right now. I cant wait to see what this is like.

Edit:

So I'm currently in EP3 the waypoints name is weatherballoon but its on the mun so thats a bit strange.

Also I would recommend to setup a agency so your contracts get offered by the KBI or something like that rather then Jebs Junkjard or rockomax. They would also have a unique flag that way.

Im just watching the season final of season 5 from X-Files and after that the movie, its all in a nice playlist. So Im al set for an eving with the K-files. Im courious what happens next. :)

great work

Edited by maculator
progress

• 2 weeks later...

Great work.

One small suggestion; perhaps have a special agent, like "KBI" or something... some of Nightingale's contract packs like Anomaly Surveyor and Field Research have special agents that are only used for that contract pack. Seeing the K-Files contracts offered by random companies like "Maxo Construction Toys" is somewhat immersion breaking (these things are supposed to be all hush-hush from the general public right?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i finished episode 0 but can't start Ep1 as i see i haven't researched "turbofanengine". I recently researched "Supersonic Flight" that has the j-404 afterburning turbofan, but the mission isnt still available. what tech should i research then? Or it is some bug?

5 hours ago, juvilado said:

Hi, i finished episode 0 but can't start Ep1 as i see i haven't researched "turbofanengine". I recently researched "Supersonic Flight" that has the j-404 afterburning turbofan, but the mission isnt still available. what tech should i research then? Or it is some bug?

EP0 is unrelated to the others. EP1 will unlock when you unlock the Whiplash (so High altitude flight assuming you are using the stock tree)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the K files! I really enjoyed the "message in a bottle" pursuit, SPOILER ALERT i had to catch the probe before it left the kerbin SOI! 

The mod made me make an effort in atmospheric flight, precision landing and race against the clock rendez vous! 

I look forward for a new campaign.

SPOILER ALERT I wish we could keep Mulder and Scully as kerbonauts as a reward :-(

Anyway, congratullations for this mod!

1 hour ago, juvilado said:

I just finished the K files! I really enjoyed the "message in a bottle" pursuit, SPOILER ALERT i had to catch the probe before it left the kerbin SOI! 

The mod made me make an effort in atmospheric flight, precision landing and race against the clock rendez vous! 

I look forward for a new campaign.

SPOILER ALERT I wish we could keep Mulder and Scully as kerbonauts as a reward :-(

Anyway, congratullations for this mod!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I like the idea of letting you keep Mulder and Scully, I'll add that to the list!

I have a ton of ideas for expanding this pack, I just need to sit down and actually work through them.

Can I ask what you thought of the ending? I feel it is a little weak, but I'd be interested to hear feedback from others.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I like the idea of letting you keep Mulder and Scully, I'll add that to the list!

I have a ton of ideas for expanding this pack, I just need to sit down and actually work through them.

Can I ask what you thought of the ending? I feel it is a little weak, but I'd be interested to hear feedback from others.

Of course you can! I found the campaing short, and yes, the ending is a little bit dissapointing. In "message ina bottle" I expected to discover more evidences that led our "heroes" to other celestial body of the system (Ike? Dres? Gilly?) and eventually through the episodes they should have to travel across and visit most of the kerbol system. Maybe in one of the episodes they could be  "attacked" (at the end of the mission), their vessel became unoperative and the next episode should be a rescue mission (even against the clock!). 

For that longer campaing purpose, i think Mulder and Scully should keep their earned experience (i notice they dont), keep them with a fixed specialization (Mulder=Pilot or Engineer and Scully Scientist?) and remove their "tourist" status. 

If you want me to advice or send ideas about further episodes, just tell me. This mod has great potential, and it is quite funny as it is right now!

One more thing. I had to research a lot of science to start the mod, and i dont really think so much tech is necessary. For attracting new players, i think Episode 1 could be available as soon as the first jet is researched.

And the last thing, i want to give you endorsement to raise your reputation, how can i?

Edited by juvilado

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying K-Files, but I had a problem with Episode 5: Message in a Bottle. I was supposed to capture the unknown object (by docking with it) but, not knowing the size of the object's docking ports, I chose the Klaw (AGU). It seemed more realistic anyway, since it's unlikely an alien species' docking ports would be compatible... Anyway, I flew the object back to Kerbin but the mission wasn't completed. It seems that using the AGU doesn't get counted as docking with it (even though it is docking as far as the game is concerned).

After that, I canceled the mission and waited for it to restart. The second time, when the mysterious object spawned, it wasn't on a course to intercept Kerbin SOI, but was out in orbit around the sun. Maybe it spawned at the same location as the first time, but Kerbin was in a different place by then. I'm not sure. Anyway, I still managed to catch it out in orbit around the sun and complete the mission, but it was more difficult...

Edited by AdamMil

Had a problem with Episode 6. I killed Mulder and Scully - I don't like flying 20 minutes in the atmosphere, so I'm always pushing against the heat limit - and failed the mission. When the mission respawned, it couldn't be completed because they were still dead, so I didn't get the option to load them as passengers. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, but I had to edit the save file and resurrect them before I could get them as passengers.

1 minute ago, AdamMil said:

Had a problem with Episode 6. I killed Mulder and Scully - I don't like flying 20 minutes in the atmosphere, so I'm always pushing against the heat limit - and failed the mission. When the mission respawned, it couldn't be completed because they were still dead, so I didn't get the option to load them as passengers. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, but I had to edit the save file and resurrect them before I could get them as passengers.

That might be one for @nightingale - I imagine the Tito Tourism contract would have the same issue?

38 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

That might be one for @nightingale - I imagine the Tito Tourism contract would have the same issue?

I'm not sure, but the mission completed alright. (Actually the game crashed when I recovered the plane, but that might not be your fault. KSP 1.0.5 has crashed a lot for me. It worked fine when I reloaded and recovered a second time.)

Seems that's the end of K-Files. Shame it had to end so soon, but I know it's just a proof of concept. :-)  I did enjoy it.

Edited by AdamMil

I've had a problem with the second mission.

I can't get Mulder to appear. Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious, but I am expecting Mulder to show up on my roster similar to the way tourists do. However, upon accepting the contract he's nowhere to be found. 

It is a modded install, are there any known conflicts?

19 hours ago, cluc said:

I've had a problem with the second mission.

I can't get Mulder to appear. Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious, but I am expecting Mulder to show up on my roster similar to the way tourists do. However, upon accepting the contract he's nowhere to be found. 

It is a modded install, are there any known conflicts?

When you say the second mission, do you mean EP1? - Mulder should appear on your roster as you said. It may be because he is unowned . You may need to put your craft on the launchpad/runway. Then you'll get a popup asking you to load passengers. (I always load my tourists through the CC passengers load dialogue so never thought to check whether he appears in the roster)

Edited by severedsolo

On 2/23/2016 at 0:50 AM, AdamMil said:

I've been enjoying K-Files, but I had a problem with Episode 5: Message in a Bottle. I was supposed to capture the unknown object (by docking with it) but, not knowing the size of the object's docking ports, I chose the Klaw (AGU). It seemed more realistic anyway, since it's unlikely an alien species' docking ports would be compatible... Anyway, I flew the object back to Kerbin but the mission wasn't completed. It seems that using the AGU doesn't get counted as docking with it (even though it is docking as far as the game is concerned).

After that, I canceled the mission and waited for it to restart. The second time, when the mysterious object spawned, it wasn't on a course to intercept Kerbin SOI, but was out in orbit around the sun. Maybe it spawned at the same location as the first time, but Kerbin was in a different place by then. I'm not sure. Anyway, I still managed to catch it out in orbit around the sun and complete the mission, but it was more difficult...

lol I "cheated" and copied the .craft file in the contract pack just so I could see the docking ports, how big it is, and how heavy it is, so I can bring up a heat shield and docking port that is just the correct size.

• 1 month later...

I'm about to start a 1.1 career using this contract pack, which appears to have not been updated/verified for KSP 1.1. If I run into issues I'll of course post them in this thread, but it might take me some days before my career progresses to the point where this contract pack activates. Just curious if anyone knows the likelihood that it will work ok or not, and also checking to see if there are plans to maintain the contract pack going forward (since the last activity in this thread is nearly two months old). :)

8 hours ago, Newnard said:

I'm about to start a 1.1 career using this contract pack, which appears to have not been updated/verified for KSP 1.1. If I run into issues I'll of course post them in this thread, but it might take me some days before my career progresses to the point where this contract pack activates. Just curious if anyone knows the likelihood that it will work ok or not, and also checking to see if there are plans to maintain the contract pack going forward (since the last activity in this thread is nearly two months old). :)

It should work fine. Contract Packs are non version-specific, as long as CC has been updated, the packs should work fine.

As for plans to maintain, technically yes, but other things are on a higher priority right now

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎29 at 2:37 PM, severedsolo said:

No new stuff yet (WIP) but I've pushed a version that will stop AVC complaining about 1.1.1 compatibility, and CKAN will be able to pick it up

Unfortunately, literally hours after you posted this, KSP migrated to v1.1.2.  Good news: it seems to be a rather robust hotfix, and Squad is confident enough that they're literally going on vacation now, so that means no new versions for a while I think.  Bad news: CKAN is still refusing to recognize this entry as v1.1.2 compatible.  :(

11 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Unfortunately, literally hours after you posted this, KSP migrated to v1.1.2.  Good news: it seems to be a rather robust hotfix, and Squad is confident enough that they're literally going on vacation now, so that means no new versions for a while I think.  Bad news: CKAN is still refusing to recognize this entry as v1.1.2 compatible.  :(

Should now be fixed. Give it an hour for CKAN to catch up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.