Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

Yes, I am aware I am being a backseat creator on this thread. I don't care, I love Dres.

Important stuff:

DeltaV (optional)

3 or so Kerbin ascent screenshots

Kerbin orbit specs

Transfer specs

Course correction maneuver screenshot(s) (optional but very helpful for credibility)

Dres Orbit Specs

(I would recommend doing this for each rocket (or spaceplane, if you're really dedicated)

After this, it's really up to you what screenshots to take.

Just make sure you have proof of your (hopefully) epic mission!

Edited by Sanic

No one has ever been to Dres. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

I beg too differ. It might seem to not be the most interesting place to visit, but it is a great place to stop and refuel. It's location, between Jool and Duna, is a prime relay point. And best of all, it has a plethora of smooth landing sites for your weary Kerbals to stretch their legs. It's such a welcoming planet to visit and is glad to offer its surface too the weary traveler.

I visited it on my way back from my Jool mission here: Jakalth finally flies a successful Jool mission.

So the Love is there, people just need to see it for the great place it really is. Such a friendly planet.

Love the Dres love, but it seems like an afterthought (no offense intended).

Remember, this challenge is about going the whole 9 kilometers for Dres awareness.

Edit: I'm planning to use Porkjet's Atomic Age Nuclear Engines, but I want to find out if it's cheaty. Here's the link.

Edited by Sanic

Due to my rather obscene activity I'll be partially overseeing this thread when SPAddict isn't.

Just for now, I'm going to say no to those mods you listed. I'm answering my own question here.

A very, very, very short list of mods I feel should be allowed:

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Kerbal Alarm Clock (A must have IMO)

MechJeb

Visual Enhancement mods (Make Dres even more beautiful than it already is!)

SPAddict will be the true judge of what mods are allowed, though.

A link would be nice too (a link to the SpaceY mod page on the forums)!

Edit: Now that I think about it, there should be a modded division and a stock division (info mods/MechJeb fit here).

Edited by Sanic

Well, any mod not changing physics/parts or adding parts is allowed without saying. Stock/Mosded divisions huh? Let's find some lesser/notsoOP mods, and we'll be good! For the mean time, keep it stock until we do so. :)

-SPAddict

thanks Sanic

- - - Updated - - -

Dres:

A minimalist technique whereby a vast void of emptiness is made to appear even larger by inserting a single speck within the void, thereby accentuating the utter uselessness of the region.

example:

The famous "loneliness" by Vadim Skapenko

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/53/81/6a/53816a6815e28ab7377a93dfea74e679.jpg

We are here to change this to

Dres: Full of life, friends, and happiness.

I'm sorry, but this challenge is going the whole 9 kilometers for Dres.

Just taking a screenshot of your Dres mining base will not qualify you for the Dres Awareness Medal. Please see the rules.

Edited by Sanic

Build a space elevator on Dres. Now you can mine the biggest asteroid of them all without having to deal with one of those pesky gravity wells. You'd need over seven hundred kilometers of parts and an asteroid to fix it to at the top. The kerbals can use it as a slide. :D

First part of project "Dres or Bust" on the way...

hr2kjDm.jpg

XIJrIG5.jpg

I am treating it as unknown and unexplored. So, I don't know if it has an atmosphere or what the gravity is like. I have refuelling, science and return craft that I hope can cope but we shall have to wait and see. If there is no land though then I may be in trouble.

I've just realised I should have sent a pathfinder to at least check for atmosphere and for ore concentration pockets. Ah well, too late now.

Update...

Arrival!...

K4GBbcz.jpg

No atmosphere but no water either. Umm, might be tricky getting down if the gravity is high.

Burnt up most of my return vehicle's fuel making orbit because there was no atmosphere for aerobraking. So no one is going home for a while.

Edited by Foxster

Instruments indicate I have a good TWR (7.00) for landing, so let's get the fully robotic refuelling base down there...

JuN8J9W.jpg

Umm, black ground or white ground?

Let's try the lighter area.

Wow, that's a big valley. That's gotta be worth checking out later...

odX0F3N.jpg

Down safely. Gravity is low, as predicted. Now we can safely commit some engineers to help with the mining operation...

fO7hFhL.jpg

Oh, just had an idea. As the gravity is low, I wonder if I can get the return vehicle down to the surface and refuel it? It only has one nuke engine but it might be do-able.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, let's get some Kerbals down there. Three in the command module, including two engineers, and a couple of scientists in the MPL...

IQcsNML.jpg

A good view of the newly-christened "Kraken's Arse" as we descend...

nmP0Ewl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Good enough, Frodin Kerman, good enough...

94JW2wR.jpg

Dang, only one seat on the refuelling rover to get the engineers to the mining craft. Ah, well. They will have to draw straws to see who walks!

- - - Updated - - -

Time to get the mine up and running. Hope there is some ore here!...

ydGpa1e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

No worries, lots of juicy ore here and it's coming up nicely now we have the two engineers working on it...

MYFvgRk.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Time to ferry some of that gooey Dres ore goodness back to the MPL...

EqkQEFP.jpg

Edited by Foxster

Nothing to do with Dres-teroids please.
So, why is that? Dres-teroids even show awareness just in their name! Plus, I already have two Imgur albums' worth of a documented Dres mission I sent to mine dres-teroids. I think you've been mistaken with regular asteroids, which do anything but support Dres.

That's that craft refuelled...

lPfSMnA.jpg

Thing is, that top section is just supposed to get the miners and pilot back to orbit. They then take the science gathered from the capsule over to the return craft and fly that back to Kerbin. But that return craft is low on fuel, using up a lot making orbit here. That leaves me with a hastily concocted plan B of landing the return craft for refuelling and it was never designed for that...

XlcGGPa.jpg

No idea if I will be able to get this off the ground again but we are committed now...

XDkjFYn.jpg

Well, that's it down. Let's refuel it, grab some science and get the return crew aboard and see if we can get this puppy airborne.

MYNcKZS.jpg

Edited by Foxster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.