Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

You're kind of stretching the mission requirements. Here's why.

Edit: This text wall is aimed at Foxster.

It looks like a pretty basic mission: Return craft, hab module and rover.

I cannot stress this enough:

This mission is about going the whole 9 kilometers for Dres's sake.

It's not up to me whether you deserve a medal, but I think you do.

For future Dres crusaders, try to be more extravagant. I'm not saying you can't do a mission like this, just try to bring more stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, showing Dres some love is a very fitting last activity for 1.0.4

I did not have a lot of time, so I just sent a small present.

Of course a worthy present that features MOAR BOOSTERS, MOAR STRUTS, exremely overbuilt rockets and at least four Mainsail engines.

http://imgur.com/a/nUikV

That needed to happen at some point. For your loving gesture I'm 65% sure SPAddict will award you the medal. I'm not totally sure as it doesn't fill the requirements.

Umm... okay?

Here's one of my Dres Protection Fighters, designed to attack haters.

The crazy DeltaV is owed to the tiny nuclear engine at the bottom, which doubles as an RTG. Yes, that's 8,282 m/s.

Its from Porkjet's Atomic Age Nuclear Propulsion.

sQkLVAO.png

Edited by Sanic

So, why is that? Dres-teroids even show awareness just in their name! Plus, I already have two Imgur albums' worth of a documented Dres mission I sent to mine dres-teroids. I think you've been mistaken with regular asteroids, which do anything but support Dres.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I get the logic of their name, but we're here to show appreciation for the planet itself. So, if you can find a way to directly involve Dres with your mining ops, that'll count.

-SPAddict

Interplanetary travel makes me scared tho, idk why.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'll allow Atomic Age Nuclear Propulsion, if there are more balanced mods to pair with this, I'll make a modded division.

Edit: This text wall is aimed at Foxster.

It looks like a pretty basic mission: Return craft, hab module and rover.

Oh, OK. I'll just kill all the Kerbals and forget this mission.

There was me foolishly thinking a realistic mission to Dres was showing it some support. I'll let someone else crash 2000 parts into the planet for your entertainment.

Edited by Foxster

so I just got back from a 2 part Dres sample return mission using leftover Duna Explorer hardware. (with no nuclear engines, because nukes are bad m'kay)

I sent two of my (slightly overbuilt) duna-landing-and-return craft to dres, with arrival times about a month apart. The first one just barely captures at the flyby and spends most of the month waiting to come around for another pass, then lands at next periapse.

When the second ship flies past dres, the lander (having gotten all the science it can), launched straight into atempting to match the flyby's trjectory. It lacked the Dv... but I knew that alreay. It did bring the difference in DV down to the high 3-digit m/s, though,and by switching to the flyby craft, I managed an intercept, science transfer, and kerbin return with hardware never designed to go past Duna.

My next mission is a Jool flyby with the same hardware. :P

Edited by Rakaydos

Oh, OK. I'll just kill all the Kerbals and forget this mission.

There was me foolishly thinking a realistic mission to Dres was showing it some support. I'll let someone else crash 2000 parts into the planet for your entertainment.

Aww, no need! This challenge was really to support giant, long-term missions to Dres like Jool-5 or The Elcano Challenge. Just make more things to add to your mission, and you're off!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here's an emphasizer I'll put in the OP:

No simple land-return mission. This, though does show friendship to Dres, is not enough to make up for the years we've neglected it. We at DresAwarenessLTD are here to support love to Dres, lot's to make up for years lost.

;)

Aww, no need! This challenge was really to support giant, long-term missions to Dres like Jool-5 or The Elcano Challenge. Just make more things to add to your mission, and you're off!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here's an emphasizer I'll put in the OP:

No simple land-return mission. This, though does show friendship to Dres, is not enough to make up for the years we've neglected it. We at DresAwarenessLTD are here to support love to Dres, lot's to make up for years lost.

;)

But I sent TWO ships! Does that count?

I feel like I'm being a bit aggressive around here (and I'm sorry if I come off as mean), but I really feel like the rules are being totally ignored. I want to put it out there that I do not wish to start a flamewar.

Might want to put a big 'READ THE RULES' in front of everything in the OP.

At DresAwarenessLTD we truly care for Dres and want to make up for the many years we neglected it.

Ok, showing Dres some love is a very fitting last activity for 1.0.4

I did not have a lot of time, so I just sent a small present.

Of course a worthy present that features MOAR BOOSTERS, MOAR STRUTS, exremely overbuilt rockets and at least four Mainsail engines.

http://imgur.com/a/nUikV

Sorry I missed you, welcome to the supporter list! Fee free to get dat badge.

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

Hmm, promising challenge. I will do this next weekend (gotta study for tests).

So, will RemoteTech2/AntennaRange, SCANsat, and FAR be acceptable?

Let's call Dres a he or a she for extra recognition, yes?

I'm going to say yes, as those aren't cheaty (part) mods.

Plus it'll give function to the satellite array you're probably planning (the first 3 mods strongly suggest this).

Good luck on your quest.

Well, FAR is less relevant now as stock KSP aerodynamics are better as of 1.0.

I don't use FAR (I'm assuming you do, as you run the FAR/BD Armory Fighter Challenge), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think FAR should be allowed as it only has an effect on the ascent. The difference between DeltaV to orbit for FAR and stock KSP is a lot smaller now.

BTW what mods are you running for your Dres Mega Mission?

Edit: It looks like you're planning to fit your satelite launcher in a Mk. 3 cargo bay. Are you planing to launch it in a SSTO?

Edited by Sanic

Ok, I'll allow FAR.

As to what mods I'm running, any part mod that works with 1.0.5 is running. However, I made sure to check all parts before launching. They're stock.

About that, the Dres Satalite Deployer successfully reached orbit, after numerous unintended structural failures, and low framerate. Now preparing to make interplanetary burn. Note that I was launching the thing at 1 FPS, so yeah, no screenies for that.

I'll be working on something soon. I sent a Dres Unit out including many, many Sats. I don't have photos of the launch or Kerbin departure but I will post Dres arrival and setting up the Sat network.

Well, FAR is less relevant now as stock KSP aerodynamics are better as of 1.0.

I don't use FAR (I'm assuming you do, as you run the FAR/BD Armory Fighter Challenge), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think FAR should be allowed as it only has an effect on the ascent. The difference between DeltaV to orbit for FAR and stock KSP is a lot smaller now.

BTW what mods are you running for your Dres Mega Mission?

Edit: It looks like you're planning to fit your satelite launcher in a Mk. 3 cargo bay. Are you planing to launch it in a SSTO?

I thought this was a "Free Challenge".

And also, I'm not saying anything bad here, but I'm wondering, how are you 'In Charge'??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.