Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

On 25/08/2016 at 9:43 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:
  • DEMETER-CLASS MEGASHIPS: These are giant vessels meant to carry over a dozen Starblocks to the Dres Starbridge construction site in a 10km orbit. At least 3 will be made, and all of them will deliver their cargo at the same time. They will be nearly as large or bigger than the Dres Control Station.
  • CARPENTER DRONES: Giant probes with claws used to move and attach Starblocks together. They will be either 1.25 or 2.5 meters wide.

For the Demeter Megaships, i suggest some sort of 2001 Odyssey set up with a long, thin LF body with nukes on the back. This LF body should have a load of docking ports along the sides.

For the carpenter drones, i suggest scraping this idea and putting vernors around the segments

Hope this has helped

~Chad  

• 4 weeks later...

Our crew has completed its Dres adventure.

In a short summary:

Spoiler
  • 10 ships left Kerbin with destination Dres
  • 27 Kerbals joined the party (that's all of them)
  • 4 rovers were deployed
  • 1 Polar Circumnavigation was completed by rover
  • 1 Resort was landed
  • 1 Orbital station was orbited
  • Many pods and dinghies were used
  • 1 hopper was flown around
  • 1 Class-E asteroid was captured and put in a low orbit
  • 4 contracts were completed
  • 7481.8 science was gathered 
  • 1 ship with 27 Kerbals was returned safely to Kerbin

See the adventure here:

Edited by Magzimum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, George van Doorn said:

Hey Mr. Addict! Does this qualify too?

(Snipped Video)

In part 1 there's the take off from Kerbin and some details about the ship. Basically, it's an ORK style Transportah with almost 500 kerbal capacity.

good god that's *censored* huge. i don't think anyone disagrees when i say...

'Gratz to George van Doorn for completing the Dres Awareness challenge by sending the most overkill rocket I have ever seen for such a tiny trip. Though you started out from Ike, I'll let that one pass. Welcome to the Dres Supporter list!

1 minute ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

good god that's *censored* huge. i don't think anyone disagrees when i say...

'Gratz to George van Doorn for completing the Dres Awareness challenge by sending the most overkill rocket I have ever seen for such a tiny trip. Though you started out from Ike, I'll let that one pass. Welcome to the Dres Supporter list!

Well, it's because it was meant to be a mining bee, going from flower to flower and taste their resources. It can barely escape Kerbin without refueling first at Minmus. Initially, I started at KSC, landed :P.

4 minutes ago, George van Doorn said:

Well, it's because it was meant to be a mining bee, going from flower to flower and taste their resources. It can barely escape Kerbin without refueling first at Minmus. Initially, I started at KSC, landed :P.

I'll take your word for it, for now :)

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, George van Doorn said:

your using dres for resources only!? how dare you! that's exploiting! lol.

cool ship btw.

• 1 month later...

Rejoice, Kerbonauts of low spec computer!

After intense thinking, I have decided to lower the challenge standards a BIT.

This will mean that smaller (not puny, but a bit smaller than huge) have a chance at making the supporter list!

GO ON, my fellow Kerbonauts, and embrace Dres with all you can!

(Extra credit for those who max out their computers in an attempt to complete their attempt.)

@SpaceplaneAddict

A question for you:

I may be attempting a Dres Colonization mission in the near-ish future. So I have a few questions.

1. Can I do it in 64K (Kerbol system scaled up 6.4x) with RealFuels/Stockalike Configs? That is my current modlist, and probably will remain so since stock Kerbol system is not challenging enough for me. Context: LKO takes ~7.5 km/s of dV; Dres orbit from LKO is about 12.8 km/s; and Dres landing is about 1.3 km/s.
  2. I have a slew of other mods that I'd like to use, could you vet the mod list once I have it? I'm currently away from home (and therefore the computer with which I use to play KSP), so I'll get it to you once I am home. ETA 10:23 AM UTC - See spoiler for modlist.
Spoiler
  • ASET
  • Astrogator
  • B9 Procedural Wings
  • Bluedog Design Bureau (just the clamps)
  • Chatterer
  • Connected Living Space
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator
  • Docking Sound FX
  • Engine Lighting
  • Extraplanetary Launchpads
  • Kerbal Attachment System
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • Kerbal Inventory System
  • Kerbal Planetary Base Systems
  • KScale64
  • Kopernicus
  • MechJeb
  • Procedural Fairings
  • Procedural Parts
  • RasterPropMonitor
  • RCS Build Aid
  • RealFuels
  • RealFuels Stock Configs
  • RealPlume
  • RealPlume Stock Configs
  • Ship Manifest
  • Sigma Dimensions
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion
  • TAC Life Support
  • Trajectories
  • Ven's Stock Revamp
  • VesselView

Thanks in advance and wish me luck!

Edited by TotallyNotHuman_
Added modlist

• 4 weeks later...

Well, let's hope that you let me have USI mods - they make it harder - have to cope with life support and the fact that Kerbals get homesick if given squalid quarters for too long.

The network:

52dsjAY.png

Most vessels in orbit are just shunts (= my nuclear powered pusher that moves payload from one body to another).  There's 6 satellites in the relay network - 1 polar, 1 at 45 degrees, 1 at -45 degrees, 1 polar, 1 low equatorial, 1 high equatorial and 1 on the rover-bus.

The spacestations:  Two, neither are that huge (one will serve as a return vehicle back to Kerbin or elsewhere) at around 40 tons undocked and 160 with the attached shunt. Presenting 'Henri Lagrange', and 'Gottfried Leibniz'.  Henri was previously sent to Moho, but naturally, he prefers Dres.

FnAcn0i.png

9B7LrfV.png

The plan is to take the parts from one of these and build it into a class E asteroid.  Of course, for that, we have an Asteroid Tug (currently in the process of being refuelled):

TBKkpeW.png

Rovers?  Sure.  We've got a Rover-Bus that transported 5 of the smaller variety.  We've also got another special one called the EV-18 - this serves to mine resources from anywhere on Dres and deliver it where's its needed, via orbit if necessary and can refuel itself.  And of course, no expedition to Dres is complete without a "Canyon Jumper".  Mad props to Mosy Kerman for being willing to try it (and survive!).

MgyZCD7.png

FHw8YDP.png

lISF3tX.png

1rksqnd.png

Landers?  Sure, apart from the EV-18 in the Rover class, we brought along 2 EV-17s - these can land, refuel themselves, carry up to 8 kerbals at a time, and are used for exploratory expeditions away from the main base, and can also mine and carry solid resources.  We also brought along an unmanned "Returner" so that the scientists back on Kerbin can squee with delight when they get a shipment of rocks and science from Dres.

NXIJHEi.png

DKEjMcZ.png

Base? Sure, this is the 'Lynn Margulis'.  She's a bit fat - after landing and docking all the separate sections together she was around 200 tons, and is currently 1300 tons and climbing - she'll weigh over 2000 tons when completely full but it'll take a lot of time to process all of the relevant materials.  She can mine all resources, store all resources, and create all resources except for enriched uranium, and has a habitation rating of 100 years, because once you've reached Dres - why would you ever want to go home or anywhere else?  Situated conveniently close to the big canyon.  However, I know this will count against me - only 6 Kerbals made the trip - the base has a crew capacity of 109 however.

x6ElBJQ.jpg

V6PvjvU.jpg

Finally, a screenshot of the mission plan (NB.  Second column is the initial kerbin orbit where things are docked to shunts, third column is updated as I move through maneuver nodes or else I tend to miss something - it gets an x when I have a good Dres intercept and an alarm clock entry for the SOI change).

NrcEVNn.png

Here's the imgur gallery link:

Edited by bigcalm
added imgur gallery link

I forgot to post it here, but I wanted to prove the conspiracy theorists wrong, and comfort Dres. 

So, I went there in this this.

FEEL THE LOVE DRES!

I use to be one of the people who thought Dres didn't exist, but it does, and it's cool!

2 hours ago, W. Kerman said:

I forgot to post it here, but I wanted to prove the conspiracy theorists wrong, and comfort Dres. 

So, I went there in this this.

FEEL THE LOVE DRES!

I use to be one of the people who thought Dres didn't exist, but it does, and it's cool!

If this is a report to be on the list (I believe so :) )

I just now ask for proof of a legitimate transfer to Dres :D

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

18 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

If this is a report to be on the list (I believe so :) )

I just now ask for proof of a legitimate transfer to Dres :D

http://imgur.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FEhFsrus.png

Yeah... I might be able to find the album, but Imgur is over capacity right now.

EDIT:
Never got that screenshot-(The screenshot key combo on a mac is has shift, and that can be detrimental for burns) sorry. But I can do a second mission next weekend! :) 

Edited by W. Kerman
Me being a screenshot doofus

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Shadow Wolf56 said:

Could I do a dres mission and then do a mission report on the forums about it?

Sorry to follow you around @Shadow Wolf56 :D

If you are going to do a Dres Mission within the parameters set by the OP of the challenge then you would be free to post it here, otherwise mission reports belong here.

SM

On 4/9/2017 at 9:45 AM, bigcalm said:

[Snipped Mission]

Oh. My.

That, is,

GORGEOUS! This mission is absolutely completely flawlessly textbook! You fulfilled EACH of the suggestion Criteria!

'Tis with the utmost praise, that I dare say,

Congratulations to @bigcalm, for completing the Dres Awareness challenge, with an absolutely beautiful textbook mission! I hope to see more missions like these in the future!

> Congratulations to @bigcalm, for completing the Dres Awareness challenge, with an absolutely beautiful textbook mission! I hope to see more missions like these in the future!

Thanks!  Glad you liked it - and a lot of credit to RoverDude for creating the wonderful USI mods.  They contribute a more in depth feel to visiting planets (or difficulty!) - there's a lot more planning required to send a manned mission - no stuffing your Kerbal in a Mk1 capsule for 2 years, it requires a big transfer vessel with room and supplies.  And then when you get there, they'll need somewhere to stay.  And that somewhere to stay needs resources.  Which you absolutely won't find in a single biome, which means mining drop ships that can move around the planet.  And ships to get from the surface to orbit again.  And a polar sat to do the initial scan for resources to find roughly where you need to land.  And rovers to get to the surface to find an ideal landing spot, generally in one biome and next to another, and as flat as possible.  And then you start to add parameters - make the surface base produce its own supplies, its own machinery, and you add fun stuff to that like the Canyon Jumper, and suddenly you have a 22 vessel mission :-)

Love Dres.

Edited by bigcalm
grammar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.