Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

On 8/25/2016 at 3:43 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

PROJECT STARBRIDGE

This is a project to assemble a giant station-thing in a 10km orbit around Dres that connects to a claw-base on the planet's equator. Dozens of sections will be needed, but here are the important ones:

• DRES ANCHOR: A two-part craft that will land on a flat place on Dres' equator. It will have a wide and heavy bottom piece with 4-8 claws digging into the surface. The bottom piece will also have several drills and at least 12,000 units of electricity. It's next section, the control piece, will have the 2.5m probe core, ore containers, an ore converter, solar panels, radiators, and a hitchhiker module for some Kerbals. It will also serve as the bottom of a space elevator.
  • STARBLOCKS: These are the main components of the Dres Starbridge. They are made for a Mk3 crew module, Mk3 to 2.5m adapters, one 2.5m battery, some mono-prop tanks, and two 2.5m docking ports. Each Starblock is identical to each other, and they will fit together to create one giant bridge into space. They can be used to bring a Kerbal down from LDO (Low Dres Orbit) to the surface with no Delta-V at all!
  • DRES CONTROL STATION: At the top of the Dres Starbridge will be the Dres Control Station. It will be at least 50-100 meters wide, with many different types of tanks to refuel different types of vessel. There will be several docking ports of different sizes, along with a large group of Kerbal pods and SAS mechanics. The Dres Control Station will have dozens of Plutonium generators, mini science vessels, and nanocraft to help with Dres-related stuff.

Now, here are the craft needed for this huge operation:

• DEMETER-CLASS MEGASHIPS: These are giant vessels meant to carry over a dozen Starblocks to the Dres Starbridge construction site in a 10km orbit. At least 3 will be made, and all of them will deliver their cargo at the same time. They will be nearly as large or bigger than the Dres Control Station.
  • CARPENTER DRONES: Giant probes with claws used to move and attach Starblocks together. They will be either 1.25 or 2.5 meters wide.

Going back quite a while in the thread quoting this here, but wondering if this "Starbridge" ever got built? Any imgur albums or anything on this one?

@ProtoJeb21 Are you still around?

Edited by scottadges

12 hours ago, scottadges said:

Going back quite a while in the thread quoting this here, but wondering if this "Starbridge" ever got built? Any imgur albums or anything on this one?

@ProtoJeb21 Are you still around?

Good find, diggin' that one up. I don't think it was ever done or we'd probably have seen pictures of it, cuz it sounds awesome. I think it might be one of those things that should be possible, but the reality of it is quite a bit different. I'm trying to picture it (which isn't easy; that's a pretty big picture), and I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work, but I don't think it will. Even if it didn't fall apart on it's own (I think it would be incredibly unstable; that's a tremendous amount of mass; it'd be wobbling all over the place), it would probably break the game. I'd love to see it, though, if somebody can dig up a picture.

I don't think that Project Starbridge would be possible.

Firstly, the vessel in a 10km orbit is going much much faster than the surface.  In order to build a useful space elevator like this, the top of the elevator needs to be in synchronous orbit - for Dres this is around 700km away from the surface.  Good luck getting a stable craft that's 700km long!  You could possibly edit Dres's rotational speed and then it might be possible - but you'll run into issues with strength.  A 10km craft is going to break rather easily, and to be honest, I'm not sure KSP's physics will even model it correctly.   If instead of being a space elevator it's just a tall tower, you're not really saving anything by doing this - landing craft at the bit that's 10km high would be no different to landing on a 10km tall mountain.

Secondly, physics range would have to be extended - yes this can be done with mods but there's a limit to how far you can extend it and you certainly can't get 700km.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 7:46 AM, bigcalm said:

physics range would have to be extended - yes this can be done with mods but there's a limit to how far you can extend it and you certainly can't get 700km.

Wondering even with HangerExtended, can you even make something in the game on Kerbin that height? 700,000 meters... that's a heck of a lot of girder pieces LOL

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, zeta function said:

I sent a 12 probe network to dres.

I might send a mission to refuel/add solar panels to the sat deployer and make it a surface base.

Goodness gravy it's been a while since the last submission. Yeah, that networks nice :)

'Gratz to @zeta function, for completing the Dres Awareness challenge with a simple and sweet probe network!

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm a lil bit interested in this challenge since I already own a full-scale Dress operation, the main part of which was created at my orbital spaceport, thanks to Extraplanetary Launchpads. Yet I'm kinda willing to recreate the mission, making my colonies double. Shall I document setting my spaceport at orbit and bringing supplies, or constructing the Dress-stuff will be enough? Using USI mods with lifesupport on.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, mavnor said:

Hey, I'm a lil bit interested in this challenge since I already own a full-scale Dress operation, the main part of which was created at my orbital spaceport, thanks to Extraplanetary Launchpads. Yet I'm kinda willing to recreate the mission, making my colonies double. Shall I document setting my spaceport at orbit and bringing supplies, or constructing the Dress-stuff will be enough? Using USI mods with lifesupport on.

Heya bud, sorry I didn't catch ya that quick. Yeah, as long as you can show to me your proof of travel, all is good :)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cratercracker said:

@SpaceplaneAddict

------------------------------

"I was very ambitious and athletic"

LuNAeV.png

LuNAeV.png

150-200-100 

---------------------------------

This is a second patch for everyone who wants it, painted in green-neonica style.

Just to alter the old one, not to replace it of course :)

So I get one of these, ya?

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Yo, @SpaceplaneAddict. You said show Dres some love? How's this for love?

screenshot564.png

screenshot561.png

I wonder if Dres loves me back...

Now that's a dedicated love-letter. Can I ask for any proofs-of-travel? If you can provide, it's a sport on the Dresd Supporter list for you :)

I am currently in the middle of a misson and will probaly be done by the time I get a reply, so here goes nothing. The Dres loving misson will be preformed by a crew of 6 on the Mothership Dres-MOTH1, contianing a manned lander, 2 ground relay dishes, 16 orbital relays, and crew capicity for ten kerbals. I do have mods, Rastor Prop Monitors, and SCANsat. SCANsat isn't used however, keeping the craft pure stock. graphical mod as well, but that dosen't change any thing. the total mass of the craft is about 1500 000 tons, granting my first stage 1m/s per second, and i have 5 mammoths. screenshot will be provided on the end of the mssion if I acually suceed. oh and if any mods are not allowed im finishing and uplaoding anyway.:cool: wish me luck, and may the Kraken grant us safety!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.