Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, planet-creations said:

I place a 5-ton space station in orbit around Dres :)

http://prntscr.com/nkibng

Pretty! Do you have any logs or screenies of its journey to Dres? If so, I can put you on our board of coolTM

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, RedSun Rocketry said:

6KOELDi.jpg

at least cats love dres

Your image is broken mate.

12 hours ago, Eriksonn said:

My mods are broken at the moment but i will probably come back to this challenge when most of them work again. I might post my current progress in the meantime...

No worries, I'd love to see :)

I decided to downgrade my ksp to take some screenshots of my current progress of this challenge as I hadnt really "finished" it properly before i updated. And by that i mean that i handnt taken screenshots of my progress, so almost all of the screenshots here are all really recent, so i will fill in some of the intermediate steps by text instead. And i will also put my images in spoiler tags so that they dont fill up the whole page.

Anyway, this is just when i had arrived at Dres, just after my Kerbin ejection in my previous post. Not much to say here as it was just your typical hohmann transfer, but with the slight twist of Dres being in orbit of Urlum instead(but Urlum is at almost the same place as dres used to be,so te actual travel time was the same)

Spoiler

RcuBjiQ.jpg

Then i started to set up a small ground base consisting of rovers, miners and a crewed lander. If i remember correctly the larger rover had an ion engine 
so it could make it back to the mothership if it needed to.

Spoiler

AO45tk2.jpg

By far the hardest part of it all was getting an asteroid(I call it Demtas) from Urlums rings to Dres, as i severly overestimated how much dv i would have after docking to the asteroid, The tug i had used a quite powerful ion engine, so the thrust was actually quite decent for my taste. I had expected my dv to become about 100 to 200 after docking, but i got 25... Luckely the asteroid was in Poltas L4 Point, and it was very "loosely" bound, so after i had used about 3 m/s to escape the L4 Point i immediatly got an encounter with Polta to swing myself out towards Dres, but my relative velocity was too high to do a regular capture, so i had to do more crazy gravity assist maneuvers to get a ballistic capture in a semi-stable retrograde orbit, and after undocking, refueling and coming back i tightend the orbit as much as i could with the little dv i had, and i think i have managed to get it stable. It sits just at the edge of the soi, and sometimes actually goes outside of it(but n-body physics dont care about soi anyway). Due to the loose orbit it wobbles around alot(even after a single orbit it is many degrees off from what it was earlier)

Spoiler

77dWVnS.png

Then i sent up some of my relay sattelites to various places. Most of them around Dres obviously, but some at other places too. I trid to put one in the L5 Point of Dres but that one wasnt stable so i moved it to Polta. I also put one around Tal.

I still have 7 of them left on the mothership that i didnt bother to deploy.(Sorry Dres...)

Spoiler

VmKJXYt.png

zyYfXLr.png

So i think that this concludes my first "attempt?" at this challenge. I will probably revisit it at some point once things start working better with the mods and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, Nantares said:

can I use KSPIE mod(without using Warp Drives) for this charlenge?

Oui oui, feel free to use any sort of mods.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:33 AM, Eriksonn said:

snipped

Ah, very nice indeed! 2 Questions:

May I see any transfer sequence/ launch pictures you have? Optional, but just want to verify
Is Dres in orbit around something? What mod is that?

8 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

May I see any transfer sequence/ launch pictures you have? Optional, but just want to verify
Is Dres in orbit around something? What mod is that?

It is just OPM but i have moved things around abit so that everything is closer together as principia doesnt like high timewarp that much. One result of this is that dres is is orbit around urlum and urlum is almost where dres used to be. I didnt take many pictures of the transfer as i was busy getting the transfer to work in the first place, but i still use the same system even when that particular save is "gone"(ie i have new version and new mods, although i could probably recreate this mission, we will see...). So i can just show you some pictures of my current system instead(as it is the same)

https://imgur.com/IbmjSoC

https://imgur.com/lZ4s6pm

If you want me to show you the transfer i can easily make another transfer there if you want:D

Edit: Imgur has changed i think and now my embedded links arent working, so i had to use actual links instead...

Edited by Eriksonn

On 6/8/2019 at 5:13 AM, Eriksonn said:

*Snip*

If you want me to show you the transfer i can easily make another transfer there if you want:D

*Snip*

No, that's alright. I only needed it to confirm honest gameplay (no cheats), but I don't think you're lying about anything here. Guess I'm going to

Congratulate @Eriksonn for completing the Dres Awareness Challenge for setting up semi-permanent mining ops and a badass looking mothership station! Well done :)

• 3 weeks later...

@SpaceplaneAddict

About to start a Closing to Kerpollo Mission, Purposedly spared Dres to do an Epic closing called "Gigapollo", It's meant to surpass 14400 Science from Sheepollo's Jool 5, is there anything you can suggest ???

7 hours ago, GRS said:

@SpaceplaneAddict

It's meant to surpass 14400 Science from Sheepollo's Jool 5

You can't see my face, but i'm doing a double-eyebrow raise with my eyes squinted. I haven't actaully played this game in a while, so I know nothing of the best startegies. But I wish you the best in the name of Dres!

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

I have two rockets sitting in LKO waiting for a Dres window.

1) My take on Nasa's LOP-G (imaginatively named DrOP-G) A 6 man station with lab and Kerbin return pod for 3 kerbals. I will be sending a 5-man team aboard, two long term (pilot, scientist) will remain on station to operate the lab, the other 3 will be on surface exploration duties once the lander arrives with the second rocket and will return at the next available transfer window. The transfer stage will remain attached to the station to provide extra fuel for multiple landings (at least 3 I hope).

2) A 12 sat relay network, also the main expedition lander has been squeezed onto this rocket, Margins are a little tighter on this one due to the extra mass but i still hope to have enough fuel left in the relay tug to provide an extra 2 landings.

So hopefully will visit 5 biomes and deploy a 12 relay network around Dres to support the DrOP-G and surface operations.

On PS4 so all stock using MH

Will this qualify? If so I should have a report done by the weekend.

@SpaceplaneAddict

That thing up there is Massive Science Grinder, it's probably expected to be a Dreeloho+ Science Grind, one of its Grind Targets is Spade, a Kopernicus Self Made Moon by Me, if Gilly's Gravity is too low, try this thing...

Name : Spade (SPAddict + e for Naturalized pronouncing)

3 hours ago, Spacenerd Kerman said:

That makes two of us!  Dres has friends!

Heheheh...Cool...

sYIaBTc.png

For those who wish to take a closer look, It's Smaller than Gilly and has Less Gravity, maybe a bit hard to encounter.

iI3CuXQ.png

Orbit, you should be able to see it from Low Dres Orbit.

Has 7 Biomes with 12 Surface Science Multiplier to Compensate it's Highly Irregular Orbit...

@Spacenerd Kerman

Mind telling me its size and Gravity ???

Edited by GRS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.