Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

11 hours ago, Claw said:

What about driving around Dres? Does that count as big?

Great work, finally there's another supporter!

I started to get lonely in the Dres-Supporter-VIP-Lounge - which someone should totally set up at Dres north pole! I am pretty sure that the design engineer would be granted full access as supporter by SpaceplaneAddict?

If it's Dres-y :D, OF COURSE!

On November 25, 2015 at 2:52:32 AM, 627 said:

I'm not sure if this counts, but as this thread has much text and only few pictures I'll post this anyway.

This was my class trip to Dres, I packed my whole space center crew and launched. This is the school bus:
pVeBAqj.jpg
XXMENyV.jpg

And we even did some science, not just astronaut training. Two science bombs and a satellite came with us:
NQK8X1f.jpg

Here we are at Dres, but herding all those kerbals for a class foto is hard.
Xf41y7k.jpg
VV0uMqT.jpg

No seriously, so much kerbals dropped my framerate down to 2-5 fps. Much cpu power needed to smile all day it seems. I even had 5 empty seats on the bus but I couldn't find any tourists to come with me...

I saw your mission earlier, and if I rejected it,  I'm changing my mind. Welcome to the supporter list for sheer Kerbal overload!

18 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

What else can we do in stock KSP? Basic Dres mission is actually relatively challenging for most of players. Is it somehow better if I replace the return ship with large numbers of Hitchickers loaded with kerbals, call it a "colony" end leave them on Dres? Or is it somehow better if I multiple basic mission by some factor and get tens of meaningless debris around and on Dres? In my opinion, if you expect much more complicated things than basic flag putting mission with resource utilization and couple of experiments, you should allow heavy modding. You should even demand some mods for example life support. Stock KSP's game logic is based on very basic missions. It does not have parts, resources or mechanics to mode advanced colonization with large scale resource utilization.

I do not deny your opinions. If you feel this is right way it is. But maybe you would get more participants with little different set of rules. Your current set demands very much rolegaming. For example I am very interested in Dres (especially because its orbit), but my playstyle is very different and I can not take part of your challenge. I use mods and try to do well planned basic missions with tight timetables and resource budgets like first real world missions would be.

Well, me and Sanic are trying to find some good moss, suggestions? Also, the reason Land-Flag-Return missions aren't considered is because, well, we honestly don't think this redeems people for neglecting Dres. I mean, if you have a ton of Kerbal stranded on Dres, well that just shows you really want Dres to have friends, like 627, who made it on because of that.

I have not played with colonization style. But USI Kolonization system seems to be very suitable for this kind of large scale long term activities. TAC life support would give challenge so that it would be just load of kerbals to Dres and forgot. USI have also own life support mod. As far as I know it is more simple and forgiving as TAC but I do not know current details. Scansat could be used to map Dres. RemoteTech would give meaning to network of communication satellites. Challenge could be for example found a 20 kerbals scientific base, maintain it 10 years and get scientific data from all biomes and some asteroid around planet. User could choose if he utilize local resources or make supply ships. Maybe there could be crew rotation, some predefined points where you should go with rover etc. MechJeb is necessary if you want to use effective transfer orbits without annoying maneuver grinding. Many part mods gives practical large parts, which give aesthetics and keep part count low but their performance is well balanced with stock parts. So that you can replace many stock parts with one larger but do not get mass or dv benefits. I use MKS (engines, tanks, adapter parts), Stocklike Station parts and Taurus (7 kerbal command module & some 3.75 m parts). Station Science mod have interesting and massive science modules and activities on orbit. I think that all of them would give practical possibilities and interesting content for this kind of challenge but would not make it too easy.

Would you accept if I do a set of missions and found an orbital station, surface base, small ISRU-refinery and small telecommunication network, try to get some science from all biomes, maintain base 10 Kerbin years and try to get all Kerbals back to Kerbin? I will not make huge systems, but have about 5 Kerbals on surface and 5 on orbit with life support and room of 3 places per kerbal. I will play with Science mode to get points for rolegame purpose but cheat all the tech before beginning (I manipulate save file).

My mod list is here. Is there something you can not accept?

20151111 Scansat 14.3
20151111 Module Manager 2.6.13
20151111 Kerbal Construction Time 1.2.3
20151111 MechJeb2 2.5.4.0-522

20151118 TAC Life Support 11.1.20  (virallisesti 1.0.2:lle)
20151118 AntennaRange 1.10.3
20151118 Editor Extensions 2.12 (1.0.3:lle)
20151118 Final Frontier 0.8.9.1414
20151118 Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.4.0.0
20151118 kerbal Invention System 1.2.3
20151118 Kerbal Attachment System 0.5.5
20151118 Ship Manifest 4.4.2.0
20151118 Surface Mounted Lights 1.1
20151118 Transfer Window Planner 1.3.1.0
20151118 Station Science 1.5  (1.0.4:lle)
20151118 HullCameraVDS 0.51
20151118 ScanSat 14.4 (korvasi 14.3:n 20151111)
20151118 Taurus HCV 1.5.2  (ei varsinaisesti 1.0.5:lle)
20151118 Procedural Fairings (1.0.4)

20151125 Modular Rocket Systems 1.10.1
20151125 Stocklike Station Parts (1.0.4!)
20151125 Waypoint Manager 2.4.3

20151126 Interstellar Fuel Switch 1.18
20151128 KSPI Integration Patch Set 8.7.1

20151203 Kerbal Alarm Clock päivitetty 3.5.0.0
20151203 Kopernicus 1.5.2
20151203 Transfer Window Planner päivitety 1.4.0.0
20151203 Outer Planets Mod 1.8.1
20151203 Sigma OPM Tilt 1.1.0
20151203 Stock Bugfix Modules 1.0.5a.2

20151208 Trajectories 1.4.5.
20151208 Päivitetty KSP 1.0.5.1028. Siirretty kaikki modit 1.0.5:n GameData-hakemistosta.

Just an update on my progress so far ....

The MK2 and the Party Bus Express didn't have enough fuel to make it to Dres.  As a result, the 4 Drop Ships and the 12 SComs attached to the MK2 as well as the Party Buses on the Party Bus Express were detached and individually flown to Dres, however, the Drop Ships didn't have enough fuel to make it either so the rovers inside were detached and individually flown to Dres

All rovers and Party Buses as well as the Rainbow Brite made it to Dres orbit (80 Kerbals) and 2 of the rovers have landed (although one of them 'crash' landed but the scientist survived)

The SCom network is online (Ground Scanning ComSat) ... 4 of the 12 SComs were damaged and rendered inoperable due to myself trying to be slick with a refueling in LKO before I sent the convoy to Dres so there are 8 SComs in the network

The Rainbow Brite achieved polar orbit and has completed a surface scan of Dres as well as deploying her ComSat network (it is missing ComSat #7 which is aboard the WITQ-1)

The WITQ-1 (What Is The Question) is on a Dres intercept course with plenty of fuel to achieve orbit

The Party Buses will have no problem reaching the surface safely but the two remaining rovers do not have the fuel to make it down safely so the idea is for both the rovers to rendezvous with the most convenient Party Bus and have the crew transfer vessels. The problem is that there are no more seats left on any of the Party Buses so the 2 scientists are gonna have to hold on to a ladder on the way down :cool:

Anyways, my mission report can be found HERE

Edited by DoctorDavinci

On 12/9/2015, 11:49:36, Hannu2 said:

Would you accept if I do a set of missions and found an orbital station, surface base, small ISRU-refinery and small telecommunication network, try to get some science from all biomes, maintain base 10 Kerbin years and try to get all Kerbals back to Kerbin? I will not make huge systems, but have about 5 Kerbals on surface and 5 on orbit with life support and room of 3 places per kerbal. I will play with Science mode to get points for rolegame purpose but cheat all the tech before beginning (I manipulate save file).

My mod list is here. Is there something you can not accept?

20151111 Scansat 14.3
20151111 Module Manager 2.6.13
20151111 Kerbal Construction Time 1.2.3
20151111 MechJeb2 2.5.4.0-522

20151118 TAC Life Support 11.1.20  (virallisesti 1.0.2:lle)
20151118 AntennaRange 1.10.3
20151118 Editor Extensions 2.12 (1.0.3:lle)
20151118 Final Frontier 0.8.9.1414
20151118 Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.4.0.0
20151118 kerbal Invention System 1.2.3
20151118 Kerbal Attachment System 0.5.5
20151118 Ship Manifest 4.4.2.0
20151118 Surface Mounted Lights 1.1
20151118 Transfer Window Planner 1.3.1.0
20151118 Station Science 1.5  (1.0.4:lle)
20151118 HullCameraVDS 0.51
20151118 ScanSat 14.4 (korvasi 14.3:n 20151111)
20151118 Taurus HCV 1.5.2  (ei varsinaisesti 1.0.5:lle)
20151118 Procedural Fairings (1.0.4)

20151125 Modular Rocket Systems 1.10.1
20151125 Stocklike Station Parts (1.0.4!)
20151125 Waypoint Manager 2.4.3

20151126 Interstellar Fuel Switch 1.18
20151128 KSPI Integration Patch Set 8.7.1

20151203 Kerbal Alarm Clock päivitetty 3.5.0.0
20151203 Kopernicus 1.5.2
20151203 Transfer Window Planner päivitety 1.4.0.0
20151203 Outer Planets Mod 1.8.1
20151203 Sigma OPM Tilt 1.1.0
20151203 Stock Bugfix Modules 1.0.5a.2

20151208 Trajectories 1.4.5.
20151208 Päivitetty KSP 1.0.5.1028. Siirretty kaikki modit 1.0.5:n GameData-hakemistosta.

If what I think is right, and KSPI Integration Patch is the infamous KSP Intersteller mod, then as long as you dont use it.

EDIT: from now on, all mods not listed in the OP must be approved through PM. If there is a mod deemed awesome enpough to be in the OP, tell me, I'm all about dat fun! :)

I use that KSPI Integration Patch only to switch fuel tanks to contain only liquid fuel. Is that allowed?

My mission reports will be here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127567-large-dres-exploration-project/

There is Hyperedit button in first mission reports but I uninstalled it and Trajectories (which I suspect is unstable in my computer) today. I installed them only to develop my Eve lander and of course did not use it in this project.

3 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

I use that KSPI Integration Patch only to switch fuel tanks to contain only liquid fuel. Is that allowed?

My mission reports will be here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127567-large-dres-exploration-project/

There is Hyperedit button in first mission reports but I uninstalled it and Trajectories (which I suspect is unstable in my computer) today. I installed them only to develop my Eve lander and of course did not use it in this project.

I would prefer stock fuel, but i'll have to ask SPAddict.

Would something like this be sufficient?

It's an orbital station/asteroid grabber and miner attached to a surface mining base with 2 rovers/orbital ferries attached to an infinite range SSTO partially converted into an asteroid grabber and surface scanning satellite. ... And yes, the part count murders my aging pc.

Not sure how well or if any of it is going to work, but I've built enough versatility into the whole thing to have options once I get there. I'd like to give Dres some friends by landing asteroids on it, but I have no clue if that's even feasible.

t65XN0wh.png

19 minutes ago, Sanic said:

I would prefer stock fuel, but i'll have to ask SPAddict.

It is OK for me. I will use stock Mk3 and cylindrical liquid fuel tanks in my upcoming transfer stages. It is only aesthetic problem. My crew transporter uses only stock tanks.

I made report from my second mission. It is Dres Station.

Edited by Hannu2

3 hours ago, McFarnsworth said:

Would something like this be sufficient?

It's an orbital station/asteroid grabber and miner attached to a surface mining base with 2 rovers/orbital ferries attached to an infinite range SSTO partially converted into an asteroid grabber and surface scanning satellite. ... And yes, the part count murders my aging pc.

Not sure how well or if any of it is going to work, but I've built enough versatility into the whole thing to have options once I get there. I'd like to give Dres some friends by landing asteroids on it, but I have no clue if that's even feasible.

t65XN0wh.png

HOLY GUACAMOLE! I ACCEPT GIMMME GIMME GIMME! :D 

3 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

It is OK for me. I will use stock Mk3 and cylindrical liquid fuel tanks in my upcoming transfer stages. It is only aesthetic problem. My crew transporter uses only stock tanks.

I made report from my second mission. It is Dres Station.

If your wanting to put LF only in LF/O tanks, I'll allow Stock Fuel Switch.

10 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

HOLY GUACAMOLE! I ACCEPT GIMMME GIMME GIMME! :D 

Alright, I've slightly lowered the partcount, made it cheaper, added mechjeb, put some crew in it, relaunched the whole thing and took screens this time.

fe3SrsNh.png

More updates once I get this thing to Dres.

We choose to go to Dres! We choose to land an asteroid that's been turned into a rover on Dres and drive it all the way around the planet1 before the end of this year2 not because it is easy. And not because it is hard. But because it is ridiculous and sounds fun!

1 Or at least drive it for a while until we get bored
2 Or not so much beyond the end of it as to be unreasonable

13 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

We choose to go to Dres! We choose to land an asteroid that's been turned into a rover on Dres and drive it all the way around the planet1 before the end of this year2 not because it is easy. And not because it is hard. But because it is ridiculous and sounds fun!

1 Or at least drive it for a while until we get bored
2 Or not so much beyond the end of it as to be unreasonable

Race you! I have one of my "Mercenary" Low Gravity prototypes landed on Dres currently.

7 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Race you! I have one of my "Mercenary" Low Gravity prototypes landed on Dres currently.

I've yet to even set up the savegame... However Fallout is losing its luster and I'm itching to get my space legs back, so I'm hopeful this weekend will be a good one. Is your Low Gravity rover an asteroid? :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.