Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

Ok , so I made a spaceship to go to Dres , but what is the best time to go to Dres ? I tried one time , and didn't had an encounter . Can someone help me ? (it is a one-way trip to build a space station) .1593683799-screenshot128.jpg

Edited by Hdeedose

here's my 2nd phase of Dres Gateway Project : DresNet the RelaySat units...:D:science:

gXtg6o5.png

open here to read MOAR:maneuver:

Spoiler

1. final checks and launch...

6XKYVTz.png

aaTVuz2.png

d9gM8jH.png

ufUz27k.png

2. burn to Dres AGAIN!!!(with Shadowzone's voice)

U6F5PR8.png

lM6V7Yw.png

3. deploying the first group of relays in kerbol orbit

4aaE71Y.png

vkHsv7T.png

QDNifPi.png

pcoxvvB.png

Bn9wq9b.png

4. catching Dres orbit and deploy all relays...

THzqVq7.png

KxqoDQR.png

2kyU1ds.png

BeVztIQ.png

apGGPjn.png

XT9b93N.png

y9FkRN1.png

oE6SZl7.png

and this is how it's finally looks like when Dres is now covered with relays

t7eKCD3.png

YETeP9k.png2

2-B-Continue...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 3:58 AM, Hdeedose said:

(question on when to encounter Dres)

Use this, plan encounters for anywhere! :)

On 7/3/2020 at 11:28 AM, Nantares said:

(frickin' sick comm network and space station)

Well done! Shall I consider this your entry to the list or would you like to hold off until future expansion?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:46 AM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Well done! Shall I consider this your entry to the list or would you like to hold off until future expansion?

ok, this would be my entry (sorry for late replies due to real life job:confused:)

Aright aright!

@Magzimum, I've updated your entry. What an astounding rescue! I probably would've killed those kerbals trying to bring them home, both because i'm stupid, and because i'm stupid :)

@Nantares, congratulations on completing the Dres Awareness challenge by lighting up Dres with deep-space relay comms, turning it into the comm hub of Kerbol!

Sorry for the late replies all round, I can't lie and say I come here frequently, but I will try to keep some consistency :)

• 3 months later...

@SpaceplaneAddict, Howdy!   I just completed the Elcano Challenge at Dres.   

There's screenshots at that link, but I'll tack a few on here too.

Right now in my career save I have 2 large tankers on Dres.   They each hold 13 Kerbals, and have a science lab and ISRU.   Plus I have a small satellite network around Dres.   Right now it's just 4 relay sats, and is sufficient to have excellent coverage on the surface.   But there's always room for more satellites, and you can't have too many.   Oh, plus now there's a 2-seat rover on Dres, which just drove all the way around the planet. 

Dres seemed like a perfect place to refuel on the way to Jool or Eeloo, I'm guessing a lot of my ships are going to end up based at Dres.

Spoiler

Getting ready to land my rover on Dres.   The tanker it's attached to seats 13 Kerbals, and has ISRU.   And after refueling at Minmus, has plenty of dV to reach Jool or Dres.   From Dres, reaching about anywhere in the solar system should be no problem.

zkrOscc.png

This next shot looks like the same ship that brought the rover, but it's actually another ship I have hanging out at Dres.

pqWJ2Mq.png

Yep, I drove all the way around it, dropping markers every 20deg longitude.   Didn't find any great ore deposits, so will be checking out the poles next.

7ydHj58.png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here we go! Note: I launched this mission with the polar relay for 

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-54-37.png

Rocket on pad

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-54-53.png

Liftoff

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-56-44.png

Ascent

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-58-20.png

Entering space

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-10-01-56.pngFirst stage separation

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-11-29-06.png

Ejection

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-22-40.png

Capture

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-23-41.png

In Orbit

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-26-28.png

Deployment of scanning sat

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-27-20.png

Scansat on it's own

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-30-49.png

Jettison all excess weight to maximize torque

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-31-01.png

Spin

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-31-12.png

All 48 sats deployed!

Mission accomplished.

Results: 

1x polar scanning and relay sat

48x smol relay sats

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-31-34.png

Here we go.

This mission is launched with adsii 1970's sandbox micro challenges' Dres polar survey probe since I found two missions to Dres and my rocket is too powerful.

Edited by Smart Boy

49 relays to Dres

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-54-37.png

Rocket

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-54-53.pngLiftoff

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-56-44.png

Ascent

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-09-58-20.png

Space

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-10-01-56.png

Separation

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-10-02-17.png

Orbit insertion

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-11-29-06.png

Ejection

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-22-40.png

Capture

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-23-41.png

In orbit

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-26-28.png

Big relay detach

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-27-20.png

Big relay done. This relay is for the Dres relay micro challenge. My ship had extra Delta V so I launched this too.

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-30-49.png

Jettison all excess weight

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-31-01.png

Start spinning

Screen-Shot-2022-12-21-at-14-31-12.png

the other 48 sats deployed!

Edited by Smart Boy

• 4 months later...

I want to say, I used to hate Dres. That was when all I knew about it was that its orbit was highly inclined and eccentric, making transfers very hard. This seems to be the main reason people don't like Dres. One day, I was trying out a deployable rover design using some new robotics parts. (I used cheats btw, but I'm fine with that if it's for testing a craft on a sandbox world) So I was testing this rover on Pol when I had the idea to put it on Dres for even more fun since the test was basically over. 

*opens the cheat menu*

*Dres, altitude 10 m or so*

*wait for it to load*

Love at first planetary excursion.

I love the contrasting colors, its quaint size, the easter egg referencing SpaceX, the Dresteroid Belt- I just love the little dwarf planet just as much as I love Ceres! (which is a lot)

I really hope I can pull off this mission and show my appreciation for Dres. Don't worry, little buddy, I'm coming!

(sorry if this seemed like me just rambling on, I just like Dres)

On 5/8/2023 at 6:16 PM, chimera industries said:

I really hope I can pull off this mission and show my appreciation for Dres. Don't worry, little buddy, I'm coming!

So I've settled on my payload. Basically it consists of a large billboard made of wing parts and a loving message written with flags. 

My PC is handling the relatively high parts count from all the flags pretty well, and the launch shouldn't be too laggy because launch vehicle is simple- I call it the Manticore, a name for a super heavy launch vehicle I came up with at Space Camp with my friends a while back. The Manticore is nice, simple, and big-just a large fuel tank with large engines. The launch vehicle has to be big (mostly wide) is because of the awkward shape of the billboard, the thing itself barely weighs 2 tons- minus the weight of the landing equipment.  Not sure if I should just get it into orbit and do a refuel mission or have all the fuel ready. I'm tempted to just go full moar boosters because I hate getting a rendezvous, but if I go the refuel route then I need a smaller rocket, which will be easier on my PC. Hmm. For once, the rendezvous option is looking really tempting. 

Anyway, it'll be a while until I actually have something to show off for all this work, as my current priority is a Jool 5 with my goal for completion sometime in the next 2 weeks.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:45 PM, chimera industries said:

So I've settled on my payload. Basically it consists of a large billboard made of wing parts and a loving message written with flags. 

The launch vehicle has to be big (mostly wide) is because of the awkward shape of the billboard, the thing itself barely weighs 2 tons- minus the weight of the landing equipment.  Not sure if I should just get it into orbit and do a refuel mission or have all the fuel ready. I'm tempted to just go full moar boosters because I hate getting a rendezvous, but if I go the refuel route then I need a smaller rocket, which will be easier on my PC. Hmm. For once, the rendezvous option is looking really tempting. 

I've made the launch vehicle a lot less wide (And more stable) by mounting the billboard vertically. Turns out Dres is the smallest planet in the solar system ( but also the best one!), so no refueling mission will be needed. Several launch attempts failed, because when I had mounted the billboard horizontally, whenever I staged the first stage, the enormous drag from the huge payload fairing caused the rocket to flip. Attempts to stabilize the rocket via more reaction wheels or fins failed. If I make a mission report, I'll include pictures of my more humorous attempts at recovering these failed rockets with their remaining fuel.

9 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

I would have suggested having the billboard at the bottom, and building the rocket on top of it, so that the billboard can essentially act as a giant fin to keep the rocket stable. Of course, then you have the problem of mounting all the engines on the side of the rocket, but it should be doable.

Interesting idea, sounds a lot better than what I've been doing trying to do.. However, I've never made a rocket after that design. How do I do stage separation if the fuel and engines are on top? That may sound like a stupid question but I really don't know a good way.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally did my mission! It's a mission report, link here.

I flew an advertisement billboard to Dres with a loving message to help Dres feel loved and to bring awareness to potential space tourists and the population in general. The billboard's size isn't much, but my PC is as bad as a laptop and I'm not sure how much of a bigger craft it could've handled. (Update: I turned the graphics settings down a few days ago and while ships no longer cast shadows on terrain, my game is faster.)

If you're interested, I used no mods at all. I did my best to document everything. I did forget the screenshots for the Dres transfer but if you compare my fuel and dv they've gone down by about 1600, ( the dv not the fuel) which is enough for a Dres transfer. This was also my first mission to be posted on the forums so I'm not used to taking so many screenshots of a single mission. Everything else is well documented though.

It was on a sandbox world but that's simply because none of my science or career saves are far enough in the tech tree for this kind of mission.

This mission was tons of fun and I got valuable experience too! I hope Dres appreciates it! I've always loved the dwarf planet Ceres, (Dres IRL) and this was also a way of showing support for Ceres as well.

Edited by chimera industries

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.