Dres Awareness, Show Your Support! (still not-dead :))

[quote name='Graveworks']I was really enjoying Foxsters Dres mission, but apparently it wasn't considered good enough? Now I'm boycotting Dres.[/QUOTE]

This is not the place to start a flamewar, but....
His mission did not meet the rules. It wasn't all that unique and not that creative. While it shows he is willing to put in the effort to go to Dres, it's relatively mundane.

[quote name='Sanic']This is not the place to start a flamewar, but....
His mission did not meet the rules. It wasn't all that unique and not that creative. While it shows he is willing to put in the effort to go to Dres, it's relatively mundane.[/QUOTE]

I've been following this for a while--as I have a pretty substantial Kerballed Dres program underway in my own career save--and I have to admit I'm a little put off by the vaguely-defined standards of what constitutes a sufficient mission. Why not just make any mission at all to Dres count at a basic level, and then add additional levels for more impressive missions (as with Jool-5)--or, alternatively, set out a clearly-defined minimum threshold missions must meet (cost, mass, number of Kerbals, etc.) to be considered? I also don't understand why the prohibition against mods in a challenge where, since it's not really a competition, a "level playing field" isn't an issue (my program is [I]mostly[/I] stock, but a few key part mods--like KAS--are involved).

Your challenge, your rules--but I thought I'd let you know those two issues are at the moment stopping me from considering an entry.

[quote name='Hotaru']I've been following this for a while--as I have a pretty substantial Kerballed Dres program underway in my own career save--and I have to admit I'm a little put off by the vaguely-defined standards of what constitutes a sufficient mission. Why not just make any mission at all to Dres count at a basic level, and then add additional levels for more impressive missions (as with Jool-5)--or, alternatively, set out a clearly-defined minimum threshold missions must meet (cost, mass, number of Kerbals, etc.) to be considered? I also don't understand why the prohibition against mods in a challenge where, since it's not really a competition, a "level playing field" isn't an issue (my program is [I]mostly[/I] stock, but a few key part mods--like KAS--are involved).

Your challenge, your rules--but I thought I'd let you know those two issues are at the moment stopping me from considering an entry.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could update the OP, but that's up to SPAddict. PM'ing now.

[quote name='Hotaru']I've been following this for a while--as I have a pretty substantial Kerballed Dres program underway in my own career save--and I have to admit I'm a little put off by the vaguely-defined standards of what constitutes a sufficient mission. Why not just make any mission at all to Dres count at a basic level, and then add additional levels for more impressive missions (as with Jool-5)--or, alternatively, set out a clearly-defined minimum threshold missions must meet (cost, mass, number of Kerbals, etc.) to be considered? I also don't understand why the prohibition against mods in a challenge where, since it's not really a competition, a "level playing field" isn't an issue (my program is [I]mostly[/I] stock, but a few key part mods--like KAS--are involved).

Your challenge, your rules--but I thought I'd let you know those two issues are at the moment stopping me from considering an entry.[/QUOTE]

My rules? These are my rules(standards).
A Dres Awareness mission should be on the large-scale, not just an ordinary land/return mission. I and Sanic started this because we felt Dres wasn't shown enough/no love. I don't want to limit people to mass/cost/whatever.

As to a modded division, I'll chat w/ Sanic about bringing in some "balanced" mods for that.

-SPAddict
The OP has some "baseline suggestions/requirements"

Not trying to start a flamewar, I'm a newbie and was learning a lot from his detailed posts - maybe that's not what you had in mind for this challenge but it seemed like quite a complex mission to me, yet also something I could emulate. Some guys on this forum and elsewhere in the KSP universe are geniuses and us mere mortals simply bow our heads in reverence while saying, there's no way I could ever do that (see Jool 5 Challenge, for example). Seems to me if you want to show love for Dres you would welcome any reasonably complex mission; otherwise set up a scoring mechanism to reflect what you really want to see. Anyway, it's your challenge, run it how you want, not trying to flame, but I did learn a lot from his posts and (to me at least) it was an inspiring mission. Hope to see more.

[quote name='Graveworks']Not trying to start a flamewar, I'm a newbie and was learning a lot from his detailed posts - maybe that's not what you had in mind for this challenge but it seemed like quite a complex mission to me, yet also something I could emulate. Some guys on this forum and elsewhere in the KSP universe are geniuses and us mere mortals simply bow our heads in reverence while saying, there's no way I could ever do that (see Jool 5 Challenge, for example). Seems to me if you want to show love for Dres you would welcome any reasonably complex mission; otherwise set up a scoring mechanism to reflect what you really want to see. Anyway, it's your challenge, run it how you want, not trying to flame, but I did learn a lot from his posts and (to me at least) it was an inspiring mission. Hope to see more.[/QUOTE]

You're new here, somehow I managed to neglect that :D
Short version: There have been a glut of missions like Foxster's even since The Martian came out. SPAddict didn't want to see this thread become 'The Martian, on Dres'. That's the main reason why Foxster's mission didn't make it, he did a mission that was just that. Habitation, lander, resource harvester, and return vehicle. Pretty generic I'd say. Edited by Sanic

Just an update on my progress so far .....

I have 4 ships going to Dres awaiting their final refueling before the push to show some love

They are loaded with 49 science lander probes, 4 dropships each containing a crater jumping science rover with a scientist onboard, 7 comsats, 12 surface scanning comsats as well as 4 party buses each with science and a mobile processing lab with 19 Kerbals onboard

You can find my Mission Report HERE

Edited by DoctorDavinci

I'm not sure if this counts, but as this thread has much text and only few pictures I'll post this anyway.

This was my class trip to Dres, I packed my whole space center crew and launched. This is the school bus:

pVeBAqj.jpg
XXMENyV.jpg

And we even did some science, not just astronaut training. Two science bombs and a satellite came with us:

NQK8X1f.jpg

Here we are at Dres, but herding all those kerbals for a class foto is hard.

Xf41y7k.jpg
VV0uMqT.jpg

No seriously, so much kerbals dropped my framerate down to 2-5 fps. Much cpu power needed to smile all day it seems. I even had 5 empty seats on the bus but I couldn't find any tourists to come with me...

Edited by 627

@SpaceplaneAddict - Might I suggest that when people submit pics for this challenge (and others for that matter) that perhaps it would be a good idea to not have all the info panes around the edge of the screen cut out as there is no information on fuel, electric power etc.....

I see lots of pics in a lot challenges in the forums but many of them are quite ambiguous as there are no info panes visible and essentially provide no real evidence towards the completion of the respective goals of each challenge

IMO, just taking a screenshot without any of the pertinent information required for the challenge within the screenshot makes the entry inconclusive

Just a thought

[quote name='Der Anfang']Well, it's a good thing this popped up because my Career mode will soon have a Dres window, and I was going to explore it!
Oh, one more thing, I may have misread, but does Dres have a system of Asteroid Satelites?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they're subsequently called "Dresteroids". However, those Dresteroids always are mean to Dres, so theyre not allowed to be a part of Dres Awareness

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='DoctorDavinci']@SpaceplaneAddict - Might I suggest that when people submit pics for this challenge (and others for that matter) that perhaps it would be a good idea to not have all the info panes around the edge of the screen cut out as there is no information on fuel, electric power etc.....

I see lots of pics in a lot challenges in the forums but many of them are quite ambiguous as there are no info panes visible and essentially provide no real evidence towards the completion of the respective goals of each challenge

IMO, just taking a screenshot without any of the pertinent information required for the challenge within the screenshot makes the entry inconclusive

Just a thought[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'll update entry rules now, why didn't I think of this?!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Sanic said:

Yes, of course this counts!
Pictures of the transit/launch would benice, though.

SPAddict has been notified.

's OK Sanic, I've seen his transfers earlier, he's also a moderator, and I know for a fact that he used his Duna mothership and the spare rover it was carrying.

2 hours ago, Sanic said:

Pictures of the transit/launch would be nice.

That's a fair request.

2 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I know for a fact that he used his Duna mothership and the spare rover it was carrying.

Indeed...this is correct, which makes sharing the launch/transit rather difficult because it's a few posts.

Here's the transition from Duna

And the recovery vehicle that was sent from Kerbin. The vehicle was sent from Kerbin well outside of the optimal launch window. I think that thing needed something like 10k dV to get there in time.

E5SIY8Q.jpg

(Also, please don't let my moderator status sway your rules. :) )

On 21.11.2015 klo, Sanic said:

Habitation, lander, resource harvester, and return vehicle. Pretty generic I'd say.

What else can we do in stock KSP? Basic Dres mission is actually relatively challenging for most of players. Is it somehow better if I replace the return ship with large numbers of Hitchickers loaded with kerbals, call it a "colony" end leave them on Dres? Or is it somehow better if I multiple basic mission by some factor and get tens of meaningless debris around and on Dres? In my opinion, if you expect much more complicated things than basic flag putting mission with resource utilization and couple of experiments, you should allow heavy modding. You should even demand some mods for example life support. Stock KSP's game logic is based on very basic missions. It does not have parts, resources or mechanics to mode advanced colonization with large scale resource utilization.

I do not deny your opinions. If you feel this is right way it is. But maybe you would get more participants with little different set of rules. Your current set demands very much rolegaming. For example I am very interested in Dres (especially because its orbit), but my playstyle is very different and I can not take part of your challenge. I use mods and try to do well planned basic missions with tight timetables and resource budgets like first real world missions would be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.