An open letter to the developers of Kerbal Space Program.

Tang_Titan

If anyone knows how I want to write a thank you letter or email to the KSP developers. If anyone knows an address for email it would be appreciated heck even if its just for fan mail. What ever it takes to make sure this story and my message makes it to them. I know this sounds stupid but this game means far more to me than anyone can possibly imagine to me KSP isn't just a game it has given me so much more than I could have ever thought possible.

Ever since I was a small boy I loved space, stars, planets everything in the heavens thanks to a book I read that had the planets all NINE of them yes I said nine PLUTO deal with it I.A.U. I always looked up at the lights in the night sky and wonder what they looked like up close. We were very poor and we would have never been able to afford a telescope so I stayed with the wonderful pictures. It wasn't until school started that I realized their were these amazing people called astronauts you were in space and have even been to the moon. My teacher showed the moon landing and I knew I wanted to be an astronaut (and a soldier I was young and public education never really explained why many astronauts were Commanders so I thought the astronauts were soldiers too that's public education for you). 2 years later I was diagnosed with a degenerative bone disease called Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia and after research I found out I would never be able to be an astronaut. A 9 yr old boy whose dreams of being an astronaut soldier were ripped from me. Even today I discovered that I probably wouldn't even be allowed on a private charter into space because of my disease. I will never go to space.

So as a grown 28 yr old man I have spent most of my life living vicariously by playing space games and watching sci-fi films/shows and space documentaries. Moon Tycoon, that I am sure I am the only one who ever played that game, was the closest to a true astronaut simulator. But not until now had I ever felt this close to my long lost childhood dream. When Jebediah Kerman goes into orbit I get a rush. I put it into cockpit mode and blast off looking through the view-port as the blue sky turns a star studded black. Every time Jebediah touches down on the Mun I get back a little piece of that dream that I lost.

I will admit I had my reservations but playing the demo for 5 minutes and I had to have it. Buying a game is a big deal for me being disabled money isn't easy to come by I actually blew through the last of that months cash. But this game was so life changing for me and I was so thankful for what it gives me beyond simple entertainment that I had to buy it. Frankly to me this game is priceless I would have paid far more than $40 for it. I am currently mulling over the idea of saving up for an Oculus rift when I discovered that mod for KSP. the game would be absolutely amazing with VR and I would finally be the astronaut soldier from my childhood. It will take months of saving my extra money but I believe it will be worth it. But I digress this isn't the point of this post.

My wish that someone anyone from the development team will read this and know that words cannot express how much this game has improved my life. When I am launching Kerbals into space I don't notice the crippling pain. I forget that I am trapped in a diseased cage of a body. My doctor has noticed I take less medication and I feel like I am winning my nearly 2 decade battle with depression. I have even gone back to complete college and next semester I will have 2 degrees in the Information Technologies and System Security. You have also inspired me to go for a a degree in Aerospace Engineering and maybe go on to work for NASA.

I know many will read this and think its just a game but I think I have proven by now that to me it means so much more and that you never know what little thing that can happen that will not only change your outlook on life but change your life all together.

I just wanted you the development team of KSP that from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for helping me trade in my wheelchair for a spacesuit if only for a few hours a day.

While I'm not as bad as the OP from the sounds of it, I am also on disability, have been for 6 years now, and I totally sympathize and agree with this letter!!! My back is all twisted up, and I have to walk with a cane. Worst part is as much as I'd like to, I can't go back to work. Three different doctor's and a Judge's order say denied. One wrong move and I'm in bed for three days.... or weeks. So here I sit everyday, trapped in a body that doesn't want to work right anymore, trying not to go completely crazy!

And I'm not a huge game player, not really. There are a couple I like to get lost in, like the SIMS and such, but not many. But then KSP came along and gave me something I've needed for years now, a real chance to use my brain again! This game... simulator... really challanges me and makes me have to think about what I'm doing... and I love it!!! There are mornings I wake up thinking: I need to put up a satellite today, and in a weird way it almost feels like going back to work again.... and I couldn't be more grateful!

And now that 1.0.5 is expanding the contract system, I can look forward to more tasks to challange me!

In a lot of ways, KSP really is like the best kind of anti-depresant... it's therapy for the brain!!!

I wish the very best to the OP, and thank you squad!!!

What a great letter! Thank you for sharing that.

To be honest whenever I see a subject with “An open letter to Squad” or something along those lines I cringe because it usually is some request for 64 bit/n-body physics/anything on the“do not suggest”. To see something like this instead put a smile on my face and made me feel better about Monday!

Edited by Kerbart
cleaning up forum migration goobers

What a way to start new week :) Personally, i've hit 40 yesterday - my temples are graying, my eldest came to celebrate with his girlfriend...i should feel old, right? Nope. Today i caught myself grinning from ear to ear at the sight of Kerbin in all its blue and green glory, after returning from deep space mission. And i felt like a kid - staring with eyes full of wonder at something amazing. Thank you SQUAD - you gave me, gave all of us so much for so little.

... .My doctor has noticed I take less medication and I feel like I am winning my nearly 2 decade battle with depression. I have even gone back to complete college and next semester I will have 2 degrees in the Information Technologies and System Security. You have also inspired me to go for a a degree in Aerospace Engineering and maybe go on to work for NASA. ...

Hello Tang_Titan

After reading your post and some 10 speechless minutes i decided to write this to you:

Consider yourself as a quiet worthy person making a career in (any) aerospace industries, ...

...i have seen many "sane" man loosing lesser fights against lesser foes (if foe is the right word, i am not english native speaker excuse me please).

You deserve a lot respect for your statement.

Stay on target, greetings Mikki (from europa).

Edited by Mikki
spell yes:), again spell:)

Hello Tang_Titan

After reading your post and some 10 speechless minutes i decided to write this to you:

Consider yourself as a quiet worthy person making a career in (any) aerospace industries, ...

...i have seen many "sane" man loosing lesser fights against lesser foes (if foe is the right word, i am not english native speaker excuse me please).

You deserve a lot respect for your statement.

Stay on target, greetings Mikki (from europa).

I do believe "foe" is the right term. However, do you mean Europe, not Europa? But if you are from Europa, Hi! Don't go to the US. They don't like illegal aliens.

If I could upvote the OP a 1000 times it would'nt be enough.

But hes not the only one feeling this way about KSP.

Given 4 weeks to live at the back of 2011 unless I had emergency heart surgery ment a long time off sick and recovering.

KSP kept me sane though all that even if it was the demo/0.11,

To be honest , KSP has been the best £15 I've ever spent on a computer game, and it teaches kids stuff too in the process of playing..... cant get better than that

Boris

<<a fellow earth bound space guy... sitting next to his crutches

Hi there Tang_Titan,

It's hard to express how I feel after reading your letter. A disease like yours is a great injustice, and most of us will (thankfully) never have to deal with that. Your post is extremely inspirational and I'm very glad KSP has pulled you out of a rough patch. May you enjoy the game for a very long time to come, and if you need anything feel free to contact me.

Edited by KasperVld

I do believe "foe" is the right term. However, do you mean Europe, not Europa? But if you are from Europa, Hi! Don't go to the US. They don't like illegal aliens.

In english yes. I speak some 7 languages, therefore i am a bit confused sometimes sorry. My brains capacity for communication is at the border of my personal liking, i wish it was`nt so :wink:. Call it ageing.

You can also rest assured knowing that every one of us has read your letter now, and I'm fairly sure I speak for everyone when I say it was truly moving. This goes well above and beyond what we set out to do when we first started this project, and I really can't express how it feels to know something we've done has had such an impact on others.

I'm very glad to hear KSP has had such a positive effect on you.

All the best, from the entire KSP team. :)

Cheers!

Thank you, Tang Titan! I'm certainly not a developer and the folks at Squad would have no idea who I am, but as someone who enjoys KSP, I am most impressed and humbled by your post. I wish you the very best and I look forward to seeing your posts here as to what you will learn and accomplish using the game.

Edited by Dispatcher
Ah cain't spel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.